Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Poor Man's Clover
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Poor Man's...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
gt

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Cones & CCD
Roaster: P1 w/ variacs
Posted Sat Dec 8, 2007, 8:00pm
Subject: Re: Poor Man's Clover

Like I said above, my main interest is to make standard strength coffee using a water-to-coffee ratio of 16 to 1 as quickly as possible.  Two things Iíve tried are a little off topic here but close enough I think to mention them here.   Even though these didnít work or work very good maybe they will spark an idea for someone else.  

The first was to get a mixture of 1 oz of coffee and 16 oz. of water through my AeroPress in one pressing.  I did this by first mixing the coffee and water in a beaker then using air pressure to push part of the mix through then add the rest of the mix and finish with AP plunger.  This works but I have to push down hard on the stopper to keep it from jumping out plus it takes at least twice if not 3 times as long this way thus defeating the much of the short AP pressing time.  The stopper is a number 12 from a home brewing store and pump is just from a blood pressure measuring setup.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b131/gt651/875fcd0b.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b131/gt651/7a44b20b.jpg

The second thing Iíve tried was to speed up the standard pour-over cone method.  I tried to use a partial vacuum below the filter to pull the coffee through faster by putting a barbed hose fitting into a cone filter holder plus a  rubber gasket for sealing.  This didnít work at all because air just went around the paper filter through the flutes in the cone.  Iíve also tried putting air pressure on top of the cone but the air also went through the flutes.  I got this idea here and Iíve tried to contact the company but I havenít had any luck.  The cone they use must not have flutes.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b131/gt651/ce932a26.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b131/gt651/a89348f7.jpg
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
darrylr

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2007, 6:25am

Isn't this basically just a variant of a vac pot? Admittedly it's probalby easier to control the process with the Buchner funnel method, but those Coorstek funnels sure are expensive.

Darryl
 View Profile Link to this post
WonderClown

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gave away a Saeco Via Veneto...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Drip: Buchner funnel + vacuum...
Roaster: WB Poppery I
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2007, 6:45am

darrylr Said:

Isn't this basically just a variant of a vac pot?

Posted December 9, 2007 link

Sure, in the sense that any method of brewing coffee is a variant of any other: Combine grounds and water for some period of time, then separate grounds from water.  Vac pots give you no control over temperature or contact time, and they require a coarser grind than the buchner funnel method permits.  This method lets you choose your temperatue, choose your time within some reasonable limits.  (It's pretty hard to do this in less than 30 seconds, though with a coarser grind it would be possible.  You can make it take as long as you like -- overnight if you want to try cold brewing, for example.)  Also, you actually stir water and grounds together in this method, resulting in quicker and more even extraction.  These are all characteristics shared with the Aeropress method -- except with a big enough funnel you can do much more than you can do with the Aeropress, and also the coffee never touches plastic.

It may not be necessary to get expensive Coorstek funnels.  I'm curious to see if gt has luck with the cheaper generic ones.
coffee_monkey

Espresso: Isomac Rituale, FE-AR...
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Hario MSC-2
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Drip: Hario DPW-1
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2007, 12:57pm

WonderClown Said:

Vac pots give you no control over temperature or contact time, and they require a coarser grind than the buchner funnel method permits.  .

You obvious have absolutely NO knowledge of how to properly use a vacpot. It's what Clover set out to imitate and (IMO) could not quite match just yet. I have exact ontrol of temperature and contact time with my vacpot brewing technique and with possible exceptions of Clover and Espresso, it is the only brew method with a near flat-line extraction temperature profile.

Ben

www.barismo.com
WonderClown

Espresso: Gave away a Saeco Via Veneto...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Drip: Buchner funnel + vacuum...
Roaster: WB Poppery I
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2007, 1:33pm

coffee_monkey Said:

You obvious have absolutely NO knowledge of how to properly use a vacpot. It's what Clover set out to imitate and (IMO) could not quite match just yet. I have exact ontrol of temperature and contact time with my vacpot brewing technique and with possible exceptions of Clover and Espresso, it is the only brew method with a near flat-line extraction temperature profile.

My apologies.  I've never actually used a vac pot, but I thought I understood how they worked, and I thought that included the fact that water boils up into the top (grounds) chamber and mixes with the grounds, thereby ensuring that the brewing temperature is just beneath boiling.  I suppose that you have some control over time because you can leave it on the heat after that happens or take it off right away.  But can you brew at, say, 160F with 10 seconds of full contact time and 30 seconds of filtering using an espresso grind?  (Not that I would advocate doing that, but you are claiming exact control of temperature and time...)

One thing vacpot does have on my method is the "near flat-line" temperature during brewing and extracting.  I am not convinced that this is essential, but with effort (pre-heating the porcelain funnel) I could come pretty close.

I'm not religious about my method.  It has pros and cons, just like any other -- vacpot included.
coffee_monkey

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2007, 2:18pm

You can have water travel up north without the water in the upper bowl boiling. The temperature of my brewing range is from 190F to 198F. I have accidentally made upper bowl temp in the low 180s. I believe there are tricks you can do to obtain a real low brewing temperature, but I have yet to have the need to validate this.

By timing when you place the top and regulating the gas (I use a butane burner), you can control the temperature of the brewing chamber. Temp is measured to be stable within 1 degree for about 2 to 3 min (maybe longer... I never brew that long).

Brew time is set by as fast as you can stir (I try to keep my initial stir within 5 seconds) and when you kill the flame (and place the damp towel) - it can be as short as 5 seconds or as long as there are water remaining in the lower bowl (the longest I have it on flame is about 5 or 6 min). My brew time is 1 minute.

Draw-down (filtering) time with my method is around 20 seconds with about +3 second variation (affected by stirring speed).

Take a look at the video if you are remotely interested in my method (btw, the stirring technique has since been improved for better saturation and shorter duration).

Please measure your pre-heating funnel and let us know your results - I would be surprised if there is less than 1 degree of temperature drop from the beginning to the end of the brewing duration.

Ben

www.barismo.com
gt

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Cones & CCD
Roaster: P1 w/ variacs
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2007, 2:26pm

Iíve never used a vacpot either but I wonder if the top part could be used, instead of a buchner funnel, with a filter flask?

Another question, could a bunn type paper filter be adapted/used instead of the cloth filter in a Yama vacpot?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2007, 2:32pm

I'm sure there are a lot of folks that are fooled by the vac pot in that when the water arrives in the upper bell it is not up to brewing temp. While it appears to be boiling it can be if fact 170f. I've registered this on a fluke with thermocoupler on several pots.

That being said it would be possible to brew in a vac pot at temperatures between 175f and 212f at sea level. I'm guessing that few would brew at those extremes but it is possible. Close watch with a good meter and enough control over the heat source will let you tweak your brew in  a vac pot to the bean and the taste chosen.

Dan

Dan Brewer
coffee_monkey

Posted Sun Dec 9, 2007, 2:58pm

gt Said:

Another question, could a bunn type paper filter be adapted/used instead of the cloth filter in a Yama vacpot?

Hario makes a filter that holds paper filter in additional to cloth filter. However, based on my own experiments (along with many), paper filter resulted in a inferior cup.

Ben

www.barismo.com
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2007, 3:30pm

coffee_monkey Said:

However, based on my own experiments (along with many), paper filter resulted in a inferior cup.

Ben

Yep. One of the main points of a vac pot is that the flavor oils are not filtered out by paper resulting in a more full bodied cup.

Dan

Dan Brewer
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Poor Man's...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.330430984497)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+