Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Ready to buy, but which one (grinder)...
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Ready to buy,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
gabej5

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2008, 5:55am
Subject: Ready to buy, but which one (grinder)...

I've been looking all over the forum and review sections for a coffe grinder (on the lower end of the price range) and these are what I've come up with so far as my options (nothing surprising):

Breville BarAroma
Capresso Infinity

Baratza Virtuoso (refurb)
Rancilio Rocky (Used Doser Model)
Baratza Maestro Plus (refurb)

I am primarily going to be using one of these to grind for French Press and Drip.  I would like to stay in the $100 range, but could be convinced that the extra $50 or $60 would be worth a step up.  I don't think I'm going to be doing espresso, but have a nagging feeling that someday I may want to at least try to make an espresso with an AeroPress (I don't think I'm going to buy a real espresso machine) .  I get the sense that the Maestro Plus may not even work as well as the Breville and Capresso, so it is pretty much out (again, I could be convinced), so it seems like the Virtuoso and Rocky (which I could get a good deal on, but am not sure about having the doser) would be the next more expensive options.  I know there are a lot of posts like this, so forgive me for an extra one, but I keep feeling like I am about to make some grave mistake by getting one of the less expensice options.  I'd be particularly interested in comparisons between the Breville and Capresso, with some insight about stepping up to the other models.  Please help!

Thanks,

Gabe
 View Profile Link to this post
petuniaii

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Macap M4, Zass 161, Baratza...
Drip: Melitta cone, Aeropress
Roaster: air popper
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2008, 7:56am
Subject: Re: Ready to buy, but which one (grinder)...

I have a refurb Virtuoso and love it.  I'm getting an Aeropress soon and don't expect it to have any problem there since it's not really espresso.  The only static problems I've had were during a recent very dry/very cold spell we had this winter, but our climate is normally very humid.  I got my dad a new Maestro (wanted a refurb Maestro Plus, but they were out at the time), and right now they're side by side on the counter... both work fine, though the Virtuoso seems to grind a lot slower and generally looks & feels more impressive.  I haven't done more of a comparison than that, but this might be a good time, no?  :)

If you're not going to do espresso, the Rocky doser might just be more of a PITA than anything else.  But it seems like the used Rockys that pop up for sale more often have a doser than not.  I've been wondering if there's a mod to convert a doser model to doserless, but that would be another thread.
gabej5

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2008, 2:03pm

Thanks for the response!  I'd love to hear your results if you end up comparing the two grinders...how easy has it been to change the grind settings on the virtuoso and to get consistent results...I've read that the other two models don't provide very consistent results from day to day...
gabej5

Posted Sun Mar 30, 2008, 7:53pm

Don't want to be a bother, but anyone else have anything to weigh in?  I'm also now considering a Bunn BCG along with the Capresso, Breville and Virtuoso.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Gabe
tjkoko

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso and Turkish...
Drip: Meiltta filter with cone
Roaster: Whirlypop Stovetop Unit,...
Posted Mon Mar 31, 2008, 8:00am

I love my refurb Baratza Virtuoso for manual drip coffee that I got from Baratza.com.  And at a great price.
hankg

Grinder: Saeco Titan
Drip: Technivorm Thermal
Posted Mon Mar 31, 2008, 11:28am

Well, I have 30 days of experience with the Breville BarAroma and ended up taking it back. Grind was fine. It just took too many turns of the 30 second timer switch to grind the amount I needed for a half pot of drip coffee. It's been a couple of months since I returned it but as I recall, it took about 75 seconds to grind 32 grams of coffee with a setting closer to french press than drip. My Technivorm, with the amount of coffee I use, seems to require a coarser grind than some. I tend to plug the paper filters otherwise.

But you could certainly try the Breville cheaply like I did. If you have a Bed Bath & Beyond near you, they often put out 20% off coupons (one in my paper on Sunday) and that would turn the price to $80. Worth a shot.

I ultimately purchased the Saeco Titan via Costco online for for $10 more. A bit of static issue but otherwise happy. I had considered the Capresso metal version of the Infinity and the Baratza line, but I was just too cheap. There, I said it. My gut tells me I did okay. To get much better, I would probably have to spend over $200. Wasn't ready to do that.

Henry
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Mon Mar 31, 2008, 11:49am

hankg Said:

It just took too many turns of the 30 second timer switch to grind the amount I needed for a half pot of drip coffee. It's been a couple of months since I returned it but as I recall, it took about 75 seconds to grind 32 grams of coffee with a setting closer to french press than drip.

Henry

Posted March 31, 2008 link

Wow, thats slooow.

Were the grinds hot after taking that long?

My Kitchenaid Pro takes around 20 seconds to grind ~45 grams for drip.

My La Pavoni zip will grind 16g for espresso in 5 seconds flat, course we are talking totally different machines at this point. I mention this for reference only.

Dan Brewer
buckfush

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Mar 31, 2008, 6:00pm

I've been pretty happy with my capresso infinity; I use it for both my chambord and my very low-end espresso machine (delonghi ec155)
TOTHETUNE

Posted Mon Mar 31, 2008, 8:22pm

I got a Starbucks Barista conical burr grinder new for $90 on ebay and I am very pleased with it. I'm considering a Bunn for a new drip machine. For single cups the aeropress is fine.
chex
chex
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Q M Silvano, Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: 2xMazzer SJs, Major, WW2 era...
Drip: Hario pourover, presses,...
Roaster: Behmor, stovetop...
Posted Mon Mar 31, 2008, 8:23pm

To make your decision more challenging; I've had great drip/press results with my kitchenaid proline burr. I bought it as a factory refurb @ $100 from amazon a couple years back and I couldn't be happier with it's clean, consistent grinds. It also looks great and impressive in the kitchen. check out cg's first look.

The only bad thing, it's very hard to dial in for espresso b/c it's a 15 step grinder.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Ready to buy,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.272510051727)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+