Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Modifying Rocky Doserless switch for continuous grind
"My First Crack"
"Ask Me About My First Crack."  Tee Shirts in Black, White, or Grey.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Modifying Rocky...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue May 3, 2005, 5:28pm
Subject: Re: Modifying Rocky Doserless switch for continuous grind

ChicagoSandy Said:

uh, what about turning off the main switch, duct taping the grind switch in the "on" position, and using only the main switch to turn the grinder on and off? Totally reversible and no chance of electrocution. Ugly, though. (Use black duct tape).

Posted March 15, 2005 link

Sandy, though I find all the suggestions here brilliant, I'm going to give yours the "first go"...now to find some duct tape...hmmm.....

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NSbrewer

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2008, 12:45pm

I like the idea of moving the power switch to the front and using the Radio Shack jumpers but I instead used a 10 amp automotive fuse as a jumper - More security? It seems to work fine.  Can anybody reccommend the proper amperage?  I did have to use needle-nosed pliers to squeeze the Rocky's spade connectors together a wee bit for good grip.
Chris
 View Profile Link to this post
Mlee

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Solis Maestro/ Rocky
Drip: Presto Scandanavian
Roaster: CO/SC/ Hottop
Posted Mon Jan 14, 2008, 1:15pm

IMAWriter Said:

Sandy, though I find all the suggestions here brilliant, I'm going to give yours the "first go"...now to find some duct tape...hmmm.....

Posted May 3, 2005 link

Chalk me up to the duct tape fix....Who would have thunk....works like a charm and looks quite fashionable...
Thanks,
Mike
cooncatbob
cooncatbob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza
Grinder: Rocky DL
Roaster: I Roast 2
Posted Fri Jun 6, 2008, 6:55pm

I used the splice taps from Home Depot, took less then 10 minutes.
Now I don't need 3 hands.
earlds
earlds
Posted Thu Jun 12, 2008, 5:57am

Im sorry I missed this thread when it was new..But another way to remove the spring action from the front switch is to remove the spring itself,You can do this [takes about ten minutes also]by removing the bottom plate and popping out the front switch ,and then carefully open the switch and remove the spring.Unplug the thing first of course..

Don
djitter

Espresso: Rancilio Sylvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: n/a
Drip: n/a
Roaster: n/a
Posted Sun Jun 22, 2008, 6:54am

Dan:

Could I place a second kill switch (like the one on the side) in the front?  Then no re-wiring needed, nor any compromise of safety.  One would simply have two kill switches, one on the side, one in the front.

Dennis
HB

Posted Sun Jun 22, 2008, 4:46pm

Your could add another switch, but three switches sounds like overkill. Some commercial grinders have a simple on/off toggle switch (e.g., La Cimbali Junior). If I were concerned about the grinder running unattended for long periods but didn't want to "stand there like the village idiot" (Jim Schulman's words <g>) pressing the stock rocker switch , I would replace the kill switch with a timer switch.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
earlds
earlds
Posted Sun Jun 22, 2008, 7:35pm

djitter Said:

Dan:

Could I place a second kill switch (like the one on the side) in the front?  Then no re-wiring needed, nor any compromise of safety.  One would simply have two kill switches, one on the side, one in the front.

Dennis

Posted June 22, 2008 link

If you pop out the front switch and pop the back off the front switch and remove the little spring inside that makes the front switch a spring switch then the front switch becomes an off on switch .Am I missing something here .I thought thats what ,we were trying to do with this thread ..Anyway if I am mistaken it wont be the first time..I did this to my Rocky a while back and it sure makes grinding easier.Im not worried about forgetting that Im grinding coffee,maybe in a few more years that will be a problem...

:)  Don
tchad

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Drip: MoccaMaster K741
Posted Sat Jun 28, 2008, 3:07am

I simply short-wired the two connecters going to the front button, with a little square of multiple layered thick foil.

I applied a little snippet of tape around the two connectors, so the don't fall apart.

Now my Rocky just has a On/Off switch, making the button redundant.

The modification was made without any kind of soldering and it can easily be reverted back to facture settings.
djitter

Espresso: Rancilio Sylvia
Vac Pot: n/a
Drip: n/a
Roaster: n/a
Posted Sat Jun 28, 2008, 5:49am

Dan:

Now that I read my lasting posting, I see I described very badly what I had in mind. You are right, 3 switches is too much, but that was not what I meant.  What really meant to ask: Could I replace the existing front spring-loaded switch with a kill switch identical to the existing switch on the side?  In other words, end up with a total of two kill switches, one in the front and the existing one on the side?  As "earlds" says, I could also remove the spring creating a perfectly good kill switch without needing to purchase a new one.  But I'm anxious about disassembling an electrical switch, and doubt a replacement switch would cost much.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

Dennis
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Modifying Rocky...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.306218147278)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+