Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 161 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SlowRain
SlowRain
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni PRH
Grinder: Sözen Turkish & Porlex...
Vac Pot: *$-Bodum French press
Drip: AeroPress
Posted Thu Jul 31, 2008, 8:22am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

I've only just registered and am now starting to read through this rather lengthy thread.  I've been an Aeropress user for about a year now and I love it.  Great taste and wonderfully convenient.  I've mainly just used it for Americano so far, but I'm starting to branch out.  I've only read the first five pages of this thread; I have no idea how long it will take me to read the rest.

Alan: Great product!
 View Profile Link to this post
paulbel
paulbel

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Thu Jul 31, 2008, 11:18am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress - Brixing?

you can say that again.

This is undoubtedly a silly request, but does anyone have a roughly reliable "eyeball" technique for judging Brix? Like SlowRain I tend to make Americanos with my Aeropress, and I find I'm kind of hit and miss with the right amount of hot water to add to the shot. I generally make two scoops with water up to the top of the "2" but different grinds and different beans lead to different results.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Thu Jul 31, 2008, 3:19pm

Hi Paulbel,

When you dilute each AeroPress scoop (after pressing) to 5 ounces of diluted Americano, that's the SCAA "Gold Standard" strength.  TDS=1.25%, Brix=1.5.

I just posted that info here http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/380187#380187

Best,

Alan

PS Thank you SlowRain, for your kind words.  I wish you many golden cups.
paulbel
paulbel

Posted Thu Jul 31, 2008, 5:03pm

AlanAdler Said:

When you dilute each AeroPress scoop (after pressing) to 5 ounces of diluted Americano, that's the SCAA "Gold Standard" strength.  TDS=1.25%, Brix=1.5.

Posted July 31, 2008 link

Thanks, Alan. I think you've posted that rule of thumb here before and that's more or less what I go for. But I'm finding variation in the actual expereince of "strngth" depending on the grind and the bean. I am hoping for some way of "eyeballing" brix once I have the shot.
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Thu Jul 31, 2008, 9:08pm

Hi Paulbel,

Did you know that analog Brix meters are available for about $30 on Ebay?  I have one and it compares very well to my Atago Digital.

Click Here (search.ebay.com)

One tip with all Brix meters (analog or digital) is to wait about a minute for the brew to cool after placing it on the meter.  They claim temperature compensation, but it still needs to cool.

Best,

Alan
gt

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Cones & CCD
Roaster: P1 w/ variacs
Posted Fri Aug 1, 2008, 7:54am

After Alans initial discussion here, I purchased an analog brix meter on eBay and after using it for a year now and I can support what Alan says about them. You cant read the brix/strength down to two decimal places but Ive found it is a very easy and reliable way to determine the strength of my coffee (1.5 brix in my case).  I tend to not use it much after I have a method/procedure dial-in but when I change things I always use it to give me a strength reading.  Of all the coffee equipment and gadgets Ive bought, I find it to be one of those simple things that works good and gets a lot of use.

Gary
paulbel
paulbel

Posted Fri Aug 1, 2008, 1:35pm

Great pointer. Thanks, Alan and GT
mongatu

Espresso: Olympia Cremina (1985)
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Mini
Drip: Aeropress (for travel only)
Posted Thu Aug 7, 2008, 8:49pm

I can't believe I've reached the end of this huge thread.  Very interesting reviewing the living history of the Aeropress.  

I got mine about 6 months ago mainly to use while on long trips.  I've been using mine every morning in Thailand for the past 3 months or so.  It won't ever replace my 1983 vintage Olympia Express Cremina at home (except when the espresso machine is down for service) but it has been great to be able to easily brew a good quality coffee in my room over here.  

Btw, they sell very inexpensive hot water heaters in various sizes (starting at around $20 for a 1.6 liter model) here that have stainless steel boiling chambers and bring the water up to boiling and then switch to a keep it hot setting at some lower temp that seems to work quite well in the Aeropress.  The water heater also has a pump mechanism so water can be pumped from it directly into the Aeropress just by pressing on a large button and holding the Aeropress under the water heaters spout.  Another cool feature is the power cord (which doubles as the on off switch) is held in place on the machine by magnetic force so it is easy to put on and pull off thus turning the machine on and off.  If they were available in dual voltage, I would definitely bring one home with me.

It's obvious a lot of thought and testing went into the design and engineering of the Aeropress.  I'm very impressed with the quality of materials and design of the device and all its accessories.  

One thing I do hope for in the future is that a change will be made to a material that does not leach "any" of that nasty Bisphenol stuff.  All though it may meet or exceed FDA standards, I really don't think it's wise to rely on government standards to ensure something is safe.  The government has had all kinds of ridiculous industry driven standards that have proven over the years to be unhealthy.  So I hope serious consideration is actively being given to finding a new material to make the Aeropress out of.

But aside from that, thanks for making such a great and portable coffee maker.  Now off to make my first cup of the day.
 View Profile Link to this post
paulbel
paulbel

Posted Thu Aug 7, 2008, 9:35pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress - Hot Water Pots

mongatu

when you get back to Honolulu google "Hot water pots" or "Electric Dispensing" and  Panasonic, Zojirushi, Tiger...

eg: Zojirushi Micom Electric Dispensing Pot
Marukai Corporation
2310 Kamehameha Hwy., Honolulu, HI 96819
Tel: (808) 845-5051

I have a 110 volt version of this same kind of water heater/dispenser in Vancouver which I picked up locally.

Mine keeps things just under boiling and I find that I need to pour the water into a measuring cup, then into my coffee cup, then back into my measuring cup before the temp gets down to about 165 F

But I see by googling on your behalf that some new models (like the one above) can be set to keep water at various temperatures like
# 208F (98C)
# 190F (90C)
# 175F (80C)
# 140F (60C)
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Thu Aug 7, 2008, 9:35pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

Hi mongatu,

Thanks for your comments.  Have you seen this post?

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/368953#368953

NDE Laboratories could not detect ANY bisphenol A in AeroPress brew.
Their test was very sensitive.

Best,

Alan
showing page 161 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.318759918213)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+