Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Awful plastic smell and taste - Ham. Beach AND Zojirushi!
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Awful plastic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
paslug

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:20am
Subject: Re: Awful plastic smell and taste - Ham. Beach AND Zojirushi!

JVBorella Said:

Buy a glass press pot?? Better coffee & no plastic odor.

Posted January 22, 2009 link

I agree, that's about the best coffee you can make, & I dug it out this morning after my Newco died.

I don't like to use the press pot on a regular basis, because of the possibility of cholesterol problems.

There may or may not be any thing to it, but it just isn't worth taking a chance for me.

So now, I have to decide on a new coffee maker. I think a Bunn. The problem is, I'm the only drinker in the house, and I like to be able to make a couple of cups at a time.
 View Profile Link to this post
JVBorella
JVBorella
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Fri Jan 23, 2009, 7:32pm

Small Vacuum Brewer with paper filters??

John
paslug

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2009, 10:52am

JVBorella Said:

Small Vacuum Brewer with paper filters??

Posted January 23, 2009 link

Thanks, that might be my next thing to try.

I liked my Newco, but it started leaking water after about a year, & I haven't tried to fix it yet.

I'm using the Gaggia Syncrony occasionally, good coffee, but again no filter.

Sure would like to get the plastic taste out of the Capresso, because I believe it would make a good cup of coffee. I don't think I can get warranty on it because I bought it on Amazon, and it was probably dumped there because of the taste. ($39.00).

Thanks, Ray
Saxmoore

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2009, 11:18am

OP here...
I ended up putting the Zojirushi away.  After a couple of months of giving it a chance, it just never seemed to get better.  I used the package of cleaner that they sent me, and even used oxiclean a few times.  Very little improvement, if any.

In December I bought a Saeco, and I haven't looked back.  I'm completely satisfied with it.
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Sat Jan 24, 2009, 11:52am

Saxmoore Said:

OP here...
I ended up putting the Zojirushi away.  After a couple of months of giving it a chance, it just never seemed to get better.  I used the package of cleaner that they sent me, and even used oxiclean a few times.  Very little improvement, if any.

In December I bought a Saeco, and I haven't looked back.  I'm completely satisfied with it.

Posted January 24, 2009 link

Make me a reasonable offer by e-mail, I might be interested in taking it off your hands.

Dan Brewer
joey

Espresso: Oscar
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Jan 26, 2009, 10:30pm

in addition to vinegar/water being a good odor absorber, try regular charcoal or make a paste with bakingsoda and a little water, and let it sit in there overnight.

Also, not sure, but maybe there's something different in your water?  Buy a gallon of filtered water from the grocery store and try that and see what happens...
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
eben

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Apr 4, 2009, 7:46pm

We finally found something that works!
We wiped out the water reservoir and any other plastic parts we could get to with vodka, followed by a rinse. It was easy and seems to have been very effective. I haven't seen this "solution" elsewhere.
OldTom

Posted Tue Jul 21, 2009, 10:43am

OK folks, I just bought a Mr. Coffee and found the same plastic smell you all talk about.  My wife does not detect the smell.  Curious.  

It was years ago,  the 60s, that I heard about some people who have the genes to taste certain plastics and others don't have that gene and cant' taste it.  The gene discovery was related to plastic ice cube trays.  

I think this may be the reason some taste plastic and others don't.  I'll track down the reference.
hrin

Posted Tue Aug 25, 2009, 7:27am

Old thread I know, not much else going on.

I have had numerous inexpensive coffee makers including the Zoji which I do like.
The best way I found to get rid of the plastic smell and taste was to put the coffee maker outside in full sun with the lid open and all the parts in full sun.
This was the easiest and quickest way to tame the plastic odor/taste. On my latest which recently stopped working after about a year it was awful. Remember leaving it outside for about 5-6 days. It does work however dont leave it out when raining(common sense). Then clean as normal and brew.

Vodka sounds good, will remember that one.
OldTom

Posted Sat Nov 28, 2009, 7:14pm

Someone suggested vodka to remove the plastic taste.  He is on to something.

I talked to a chemist friend and he suggested that the contaminants are soluble in alcohol and that is why vodka works.  Pretty expensive solution.  

I tried 99% isopropol alcohol for under a dollar from Safeway Food store.  It worked great.  I diluted down to 50% with tap water and filled the coffee machine and let it sit for an hour.  Then ran it through about 5 times.  I then flushed out the coffee maker 6 to 8 times.  A lot of gunk came out with the alcohol solution.  I let the whole rig dry out and then made a pot of coffee.  It was great -- No plastic taste at all.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Awful plastic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.289269924164)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+