Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bellman CX25
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bellman CX25  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
canuk_guy
canuk_guy
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Barista
Vac Pot: Moka Pot, Bellman, Coffee...
Posted Fri Aug 14, 2009, 12:59pm
Subject: Re: Bellman CX25

Roy,

Thanks for the reply.  I have been over that pic and the list of parts several times.  And there is nothing shown or listed that I recognize as missing from what I have.  I just might try a rubber gasket in there on my own to see what happens.

Cheers, Guy
aka canuk_guy

“It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.”
~Mark Twain
 View Profile Link to this post
bpt

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: I-Roast
Posted Wed Aug 19, 2009, 12:27pm

I have one that I am staring at right now.  For your question about the gasket "that goes between the top lid screen and the basket" I think that the answer is yes, if I am getting your question right.  If you look on the parts diagram, 5236 is a gasket that actually holds part 1222 into the lid, the same set-up as in the moka pots.  When you screw the lid down it seals against the brew basket but it is part of the lid.  I think that the cylinder shaped one that you talked about might be the 5691 that they are calling the inner shaft gasket but that you can't see in the picture.  On mine there is a gasket on that shaft about halfway down (there is a lip that makes it stop) and the brew basket sits on top of that.  Mine is kind of cone shaped with the wider part at the bottom but I don't know if it was always that way or if it started out cylindrical and was squished into a cone from use.  The 5070 gasket is like and o-ringand seals the bottom of the lip of the brew basket to the body.  Does that answer your questions?
 I don't know a lot about these, just happened to have one in the cabinet that I have had for a long time.  It's old but, as far as I can tell, it's complete.
frankieK

Posted Sat Aug 29, 2009, 5:36pm

Hi All,

This is my first post..

I just bought a Bellman CX25 & have been struggling to get some proper coffee using it.

How fine should I be grinding the coffee? I attempted to simply use the grind for a normal moka pot, the coffee extracted from the Bellman taste & look like a french press machine.

How do I get a better extract out of the Bellman?

Thanks!
canuk_guy
canuk_guy

Posted Sat Aug 29, 2009, 6:17pm

Hi frankieK,

This is an answer in a question.  How do you grind for your moka pot?  I use a coarse grind in my moka pot.  I have tried it in the Bellman with limited success.  So far I find a espresso type of grind comes out pretty good in my Bellman.   I'm going to use that as a base and start playing around from there.  What I need to do first is have enough of the same coffee around to make certain I'm getting some differences.  Lately I'm switching coffee almost with every bag.  Makes it difficult to figure out all the nuances and get the most out of it.  

I welcome any feedback you have and what you try out.  I like to tinker with things to get the most out of coffee.  I have a moka pot myself and it is one of my favourite ways to enjoy my morning coffee.

Let me know what your trials bring you.

Cheers, Guy
aka canuk_guy

“It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.”
~Mark Twain
frankieK

Posted Sun Aug 30, 2009, 5:51am

Thanks Guy!

Do you usually tamper down the coffee powder?

What is the amount of coffee powder you would use on a cuppa? I generally just fill up the basket for a 3-cup even when I am only making a one cup coffee. Feeling as if I'm wasting too much coffee. Any ideas?

Thanks again

frankieK
canuk_guy
canuk_guy

Posted Tue Sep 1, 2009, 9:36am

frankieK,

I haven't tried 'tamping' the ground coffee into place just yet, but that's sure to happen soon enough.  So far I have just smoothed over the top using my finger to level out the coffee.  Once we get the Bellman running right it will hopefully produce an extract strong enough that a triple shot will be too much ... or maybe just right depending on what you're after.  Right now the extract I'm getting is slightly less as strong as what I can get from my moka pot.  So I'm ending up with a very strong coffee or an Americano (add a little hot water and enjoy).  If this continues and all I get for an extact is not as strong than what my moka pot will deliver, the Bellman may end up just as a steamer as the moka pot takes up less room on the stove and counter.  Although if you're game for it, we can tinker with ideas to see where we can get the Bellman to go and compare notes here to try to get it to run it's best.

As for the serving size ... I think this baby will only make you the 3-cup at minimum.  I haven't tried to make anything less though.  You can give it a whirl.  I'm thinking that the whole design is for that amount.  Just like if you're after smaller servings from a moka pot ... you buy the smaller one.

Let me know if you're up to comparing notes back and forth on the Bellman here.  How much do you use it?  I've sort of put it on the back burner as I'm enjoying some nice coffee that I have purchased recently ... some Panama Carmen Estates ... that I use in my coffee press.  I think I have found a nice coffee to use in the Bellman to experiment with.  I like it from my moka pot and that's what I use as a benchmark.  But I'll need more if it if I'm going to compare several attempts.  Nothing worse than running out of coffee when you're onto something ... LOL

Cheers, Guy
aka canuk_guy

~Mark Twain
Whitey

Posted Wed Sep 9, 2009, 1:14pm

I have been looking for a Bellman, wanting to try one, but they are hard to find in the U.S.  There are some listed on ebay from time to time usually on a buy-it-now listing.  I have never seen a CX25P listed anywhere.
jbaker323

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Oct 16, 2009, 11:56am

Just got the bellman myself and im also trying to figure out the sweet spot.  first off, they are way off (in my opinion) on the amount of liquid that you can do.   I did 6 cups and I get like 6 ounces of good espresso.  If you let it go any longer it gets way too watery.  Then the pressure,  I let it build so high that the emergency valve starts sqealing.  But im probably a little too much in the pressure area.  And the grind I use is espresso grind on a saeco titan (aka starbucks barista).   Im going to try to use less espresso and finer grind.  problem is you dont want to clog the nozzle.

Jeremy
acasabia
acasabia
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Fri Oct 16, 2009, 12:13pm

this might help
I dont know if it has any new info, theres a whole pdf manual at the bottom as well.
good luck, stovetops are always an interesting experience.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Gimme! Piccolo Mondo Espresso Blend
http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
canuk_guy
canuk_guy

Posted Fri Nov 20, 2009, 10:06am

atomichumbucker,

If I follow those instructions to the letter ... open the coffee valve from the beginning I get a rather weak rendition of what coffee is suppose to be and so far from espresso I can't measure it.  The extract is only what I would call warm, no where near hot.  Anyone out there doing something different than what these directions state?

Cheers, Guy :-)
aka canuk_guy

~Mark Twain
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bellman CX25  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.257251024246)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+