Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Mr. Coffee Optimal Brew Thermal BVMC-PSTX95GTF anyone?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Mr. Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
cgesr

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Apr 2, 2010, 12:57pm
Subject: Mr. Coffee Optimal Brew Thermal BVMC-PSTX95GTF anyone?

I can't find reviews for this. Anyone know this model. I saw it at Target for $80.00 and it's selling point is that it heats water significantly more than others at this price or higher. I'm looking for a thermal and the main feature I want is that the coffee must serve as hot as possible. I've had a few thermals in the low price price and they all are crap. I end up putting the coffee in the micro, even the first cup.
 View Profile Link to this post
cgesr

Posted Wed Apr 7, 2010, 10:57am
Subject: Re: Mr. Coffee Optimal Brew Thermal BVMC-PSTX95GTF anyone?

I went ahead and purchased this at Target. Today was my second day using it and it seems to get hotter than past thermals in the $30-40 range I've had in the past, but still not as hot as I would it to be. How do I find out the true temperature like I've read other posters doing it? Do you simply put a thermometer in the water as it pours into the carafe or what? I want to compare it to the higher premium thermals.
caffeinatedjen

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera B707
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Apr 8, 2010, 8:55am

I've heard that you can get hotter temps with drip machines by using hot water instead of cold, you might give that a try.  I think you are supposed to use a styrofoam cup to test the temperature.
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Thu Apr 8, 2010, 9:07am

cgesr Said:

How do I find out the true temperature like I've read other posters doing it? Do you simply put a thermometer in the water as it pours into the carafe or what? I want to compare it to the higher premium thermals.

Posted April 7, 2010 link

Cut a styrofoam cup in half.

Insert a digital thermometer probe or thermocouple thru the side of the cup about half way up.

Hold the cup directly beneath the shower screen and run brew water being careful about burns.

Bunn corp says, on their machines, that if the temperature is below 195f the unit needs repair or replacement.

Dan Brewer
s0ckeyeus

Posted Thu Apr 8, 2010, 10:18am

Do you preheat your carafe?

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons" - T.S. Eliot
cgesr

Posted Thu Apr 8, 2010, 12:27pm

Thanks for the replies and advice, I have to get me a thermometer. No, I haven't pre-heated the carafe. Though it may help, I want a unit that doesn't require that, but that means getting one that heats the water enough to obviate that need. I bought the Mr. Coffee with the intent of checking out the claim on the box and if didn't live up to that claim I would return it. After a few days now I am leaning toward returning it but don't know if the temperature of it is standard even with the premium thermals, because the reviews I read of almost all the thermals have some complaints about the temperature.
DrugOfChoice

Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama 5 Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Behmor...
Posted Fri Apr 9, 2010, 6:01am

cgesr Said:

No, I haven't pre-heated the carafe. Though it may help, I want a unit that doesn't require that,

Posted April 8, 2010 link

No such thing. Thermal carafes NEED preheating, otherwise a lot of heat is lost to heating the inside surface of the carafe; it doesn't matter how well insulated the carafe is. You can't really compensate for this with high brew temp because optimal brew temp falls into a narrow range. By the time the water goes through the grounds and filter, it has lost temp (that's why you measure temp at the shower screen, not in the pot), and then it loses more hitting a cold carafe.

With my KMB, I boil water in an electric kettle while I am grinding and loading the machine, Then pour the boiling water in a Nissan carafe before I turn the KMB on. This gives about 10 minutes of preheating time, which is optimal (see Mark Prince's Nissan reviews). It works really well, and the coffee out of the carafe stays too hot to drink immediately for a LONG time.

Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
justgoodcoffee

Posted Tue May 4, 2010, 8:51am

I have been looking at this coffee maker too. How long does it take to brew a full pot?
We have a Bunn that is starting to die, and I thought this might be a decent replacement.
glennk

Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Technivorm CDT, Aeropress
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Tue May 4, 2010, 6:42pm

I use to have to microwave my coffee right after brewing with a Quisinart Thermal.  I now use a Technivorm CD Thermal and even without preheating, the first several sips will BURN you if you are not sipping carefully. I only preheat the  caraffe if I'm drinking the pot alone. But my wife and I both drink from Nissan spillproof travel mugs, so heat isn't as big of an issue.
mrb

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun May 23, 2010, 4:23pm

If you are trying to decide between the Bunn and Mr. C Optimal Brew get the Bunn. The Optimal Brew does do what it says about delivering hot water for I measured the water temp out of the coffee basket without the filter as it flowed out of the pour hole at 193 degrees. It does make good cup but takes twice as log if not longer than the Bunn. There were two occasions when I brewed half pots (24 oz) that when I took out the coffee basket to dump the coffee I noticed that 30 to 40 percent of the grind was dry meaning the Optimal Brew did a poor job spraying the water evenly onto the grounds. It may have been the unit I bought but this really disappointed me for this coffee maker had so much promise. With full loads the beans all looked good and soaked but this may be the results of the basket filling with water as opposed to a good even spray distribution from the nozzle. I bought this unit to give it a try and to save money on energy since my Bunn is always on.

The Bunn on the other hand is a Bunn. Predictable, reliable, good water temp (195 deg. out of the basket) and lightning fast. For full pots they made comparable brews but the Bunn thermal carafe poured much better and kept the coffee warmer longer. The coffee also tasted hotter.

For small batches like a single cup nothing beats the Malita single pour over manual pour cone with #2 filter. With this method you know you are getting the right brew since you have 100% control over the whole process.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Mr. Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.311508893967)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+