Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
New Energy Policy
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New Energy...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Sinkdrain
Sinkdrain
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Drip: Melitta bcm-4, ccd, fp
Roaster: Torreo Roasters
Posted Tue Jun 15, 2010, 8:54am
Subject: New Energy Policy

Just got a memo today stating that no personal appliances including electric coffee makers are allowed in the office!!! So who makes a hand crank coffee maker...I'm in trouble.
 View Profile Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jun 15, 2010, 9:38am
Subject: Re: New Energy Policy

We have a similra policy in our building.  

What I did was to bring in a hand grinder and a French press.  At first I boiled water in a large Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave in the kitchen, but then we got a cordless electric kettle in the shared kitchen so now I can use that.  (We have alot of tea drinkers here too).  

NOTE: If you do boil water in the microwave, be EXTREMELY careful when approaching the heated measuring cup.  Water may overboil when you disturb it...so I found it best to use a long wisk or spoon and reach in to the microwave and upset the water surface so as not to get splashed by boiling water:  CLICK THIS  or even CLCIK THIS  

Also, even after the "ban" on appliances I was able to bring in my Baratza Vario and I use it now with the French press and the Electric Kettle.  The Vario grinder isn't any louder than a pencil sharpener (and uses about the same energy draw as well).

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
randytsuch

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office with...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Customized Alpenrost,...
Posted Tue Jun 15, 2010, 12:48pm

I had a similar suggestion.

Hand grinder and a Clever Coffee Dripper, or a pourover.

Heat up the water in a microwave, and you're set.

Randy
c4h5n2o
c4h5n2o
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LM
Grinder: Bunn/Vario
Drip: Swiss gold
Roaster: No time
Posted Wed Jun 16, 2010, 7:53am

The above options are great.

I'm in another office that is trying to trim the electric bill by way of a personal appliance ban. While a quiet grinder would probably go unnoticed, I did ask how they would feel about a battery powered appliance & was told that would be OK. So in theory I could plug my grinder into a ($15) AC inverter, along with a 12V gel battery.
bushrod

Espresso: Livia 90, Elektra MCaL
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C20B
Posted Wed Jun 16, 2010, 1:25pm

I use an Aeropress at work.  It works great with the hot water out of the water cooler!

When I'm not using the vac-pot, that it...

Rich A
fatnat79

Espresso: Grimac Mini
Grinder: K30 ES
Vac Pot: Yama / Bodum Santos
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Gene Cafe / Popcorn Roaster
Posted Wed Jun 16, 2010, 4:07pm

Does anyone know what the temp is out of the typical hot water spigot in water coolers? I tried using the hot water tap for french press but found that it wasn't hot enough. Since then, I boil it in the microwave and it takes my office microwave about a min (ymmv) to boil so I'm guessing it's probably comes out of the tap at about 185F or so since my cold mug must absorb some of that heat before it gets into the microwave.

Is the temp of the hot water tap adjustable?
c4h5n2o
c4h5n2o

Espresso: LM
Grinder: Bunn/Vario
Drip: Swiss gold
Roaster: No time
Posted Wed Jun 16, 2010, 9:33pm

fatnat79 Said:

Does anyone know what the temp is out of the typical hot water spigot in water coolers?

Posted June 16, 2010 link

It will vary from brand to brand, but the ones I've measured have been 70 - 85C. Not exactly the 93C that you'd hope for. You might be able to adjust the temperature if you have a premium model, but most will have fixed thermostats.
Breeze
Breeze
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Pasquini Livia S
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/Rocky
Drip: TechniVorm/Krups MB
Roaster: Toper 1 kilo
Posted Fri Jun 18, 2010, 4:36am

I read these posts and have to say I'm amazed.  While I can understand a company not wanting to have x number of electric appliances on their system for both energy consumption and safety reasons, what kind of company would not provide hot water for tea or coffee?    

That policy is downright uncivilized!  As Jon pointed out, boiling water in a microwave is risky and from my "safety" standpoint, unacceptable.

Quality of life is central to both personal and work environments.  It's the small things that count......
kwantran

Grinder: Barazta Maestro
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-3
Drip: Vietnamese, V60, Clever,...
Roaster: Toastermaster TPC-3
Posted Fri Jun 18, 2010, 7:21am

JonR10 Said:

We have a similra policy in our building.  

What I did was to bring in a hand grinder and a French press.  At first I boiled water in a large Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave in the kitchen, but then we got a cordless electric kettle in the shared kitchen so now I can use that.  (We have alot of tea drinkers here too).  

NOTE: If you do boil water in the microwave, be EXTREMELY careful when approaching the heated measuring cup.  Water may overboil when you disturb it...so I found it best to use a long wisk or spoon and reach in to the microwave and upset the water surface so as not to get splashed by boiling water:  CLICK THIS  or even CLCIK THIS  

Also, even after the "ban" on appliances I was able to bring in my Baratza Vario and I use it now with the French press and the Electric Kettle.  The Vario grinder isn't any louder than a pencil sharpener (and uses about the same energy draw as well).

Posted June 15, 2010 link

About the superheating of water, you could just stick a wooden chopstick inside to create sites of bubble formation so it can actually boil and not superheat.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jun 18, 2010, 10:00am

kwantran Said:

About the superheating of water, you could just stick a wooden chopstick inside...

Posted June 18, 2010 link

Thanks, but we got a nice electric kettle to use now that is very convenient.

Breeze Said:

While I can understand a company not wanting to have x number of electric appliances on their system for both energy consumption and safety reasons, what kind of company would not provide hot water for tea or coffee?  

Posted June 18, 2010 link

Amen bother!

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New Energy...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.31643986702)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+