Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Decent 4-cup drip brewer?
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Decent 4-cup...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
emergencee
emergencee
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Aug 5, 2010, 3:18pm
Subject: Decent 4-cup drip brewer?

Does anyone make a decent (as in hot enough brew temperature) 4-cup drip machine?  Capresso used to make one of these small ones.  I suspect this is a small market (no pun intended) but I never make more than 24oz of coffee at a time using a single cup pour over.  I'd like to be able to make a little more than that so I don't have to keep emptying, rinsing/washing, and refilling the filter to make enough to take to work.  Are the Mr. Coffee, Cuisinart, etc. 4-cup machines any good?  

Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Thu Aug 5, 2010, 3:36pm
Subject: Re: Decent 4-cup drip brewer?

emergencee Said:

Does anyone make a decent (as in hot enough brew temperature) 4-cup drip machine?  
Thanks.

Posted August 5, 2010 link

This Melitta is the only decent 4 cup drip machine I know of and they are getting hard to find. Brew @~200f. CLICK

Dan Brewer
s0ckeyeus

Posted Fri Aug 6, 2010, 7:57am

I picked up a Melitta BCM-4 at Goodwill a few weeks ago for $6.  Of course Goodwill is hit or miss, but sometimes you get lucky.

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons" - T.S. Eliot
jammin
jammin

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: manual
Roaster: quest m3
Posted Fri Aug 6, 2010, 8:00am

the clever coffee dripper is the first thing that comes to mind.  a melitta would be great as well

roast your own
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Aug 6, 2010, 9:53am

s0ckeyeus Said:

I picked up a Melitta BCM-4 at Goodwill a few weeks ago for $6.  Of course Goodwill is hit or miss, but sometimes you get lucky.

Posted August 6, 2010 link

These MG BCM-4's brew hot and tasty auto drip coffee. I spent $5 bucks at our local Goodwill a couple months ago for a white one - a cheap no name Chinese made 4 cup brewer priced at $8 sat next to it, but it was Hunter green...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Fri Aug 6, 2010, 10:46am

The BCM - 4 is more than just decient.  Mine fared well against a frend's TV in a brew-off a while back.

There are a couple of caveats however:

1. The excelent shower head is difficult to clean. I recomend grinding a bit off the tips of the tabs which hold it together to make it easier to dissassemble.

2. The hotplate will burn the coffee. Turn it off after the coffee is brewed.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
s0ckeyeus

Posted Fri Aug 6, 2010, 11:17am

Phil, you're promotion of the Melitta is why I picked up my unit.  My wife was giving me a hard time (about $6), but I persisted.  It's such a simple little machine.

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons" - T.S. Eliot
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Fri Aug 6, 2010, 11:36am

If she is a coffee drinker she will forgive you when she tastes the coffee from it.

Phil

s0ckeyeus Said:

Phil, you're promotion of the Melitta is why I picked up my unit.  My wife was giving me a hard time (about $6), but I persisted.  It's such a simple little machine.

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Aug 6, 2010, 1:01pm

s0ckeyeus Said:

I can't give Phil the credit for mine since my mother used one for years till her son needed a coffee pot.  I offered to return it long ago but she knows where to find the Melitta and me.  I now have two of these and I can attest that cups from the Clever Coffee Dripper might equal what I get out of the Melitta, but they are not superior.  Same for my Capresso MT-500 - nice, but not better than the BCM-4 either.  I turn the brewer off as well after the boiling completes which keeps the coffee from cooking.  

I use the #2 brown or white Melitta filters - these work well (fold the bottom and side seams for tear free service) with a decent price from Amazon at less than $20 for 6 100 count boxes.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
emergencee
emergencee

Posted Fri Aug 6, 2010, 1:43pm

Great!  Thanks, everybody.  I'll be looking around for one.  Thanks for the heads up on the "burner" plate, too.  

I googled "Melitta 4" and got a link to a currently produced Melitta 5 (yes, five) cup coffee maker.  Anybody have any experience with this?  Is it hot enough?  It is $20.  https://shop.melitta.com/ itemdy00.asp?T1=66+334&Cat=

For those of you with the 4 ... I saw, a couple of days ago, a coffee warmer plate with a piece of basically bent up spring steal a little smaller in diameter than a coat hanger that sat on the plate to keep the coffee from scorching if it sat too long.  You guys might be interested (or for free you can just keep turning it off after it brews).  Don't know where to get one of those things, though.
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Decent 4-cup...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.334935903549)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+