Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Press Pots
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Press Pots  
view previous topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Jul 13, 2002, 10:19pm
Subject: Re: Press Pots

Dana(and others)
I love brewing with my press pot but had read recently that excess oils and such could pose a certain health risk if consumed on a regular basis...has anyone heard or read of this?
Thanks...ibawriter

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2002, 12:10am

ibawriter Said:

Dana(and others)
I love brewing with my press pot but had read recently that excess oils and such could pose a certain health risk if consumed on a regular basis...has anyone heard or read of this?
Thanks...ibawriter

Posted July 13, 2002 link

Hi ibawriter,I just inputted Bad+Cholesterol+Coffee into a Google search (type in alt.coffee,click search only in alt.coffee,input above words into box)& came up with tons of stuff!
click here Cheers!

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2002, 12:41am

Craig...very interesting reading..thanks

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2002, 12:49am

ibawriter Said:

Craig...very interesting reading..thanks

Posted July 14, 2002 link

Robert, You're welcome..I was editing the post so that it was reading right. It's 3.47am here,(Toronto) so I'm kinda dosey.. {:-D  Over & out for the night!

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
fookoonetwork
fookoonetwork
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Pasquini Moka 90, Anfim...
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer
Drip: none
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2002, 1:40pm

dana_leighton Said:

Okay, sediment problem handled. Now what about brew times? I've played with several times and find that around 3:30-4:00 is about right. What's your experience? Does it vary by bean/freshness or roast? I find that my freshly-roasted beans behave differently in several respects, but I'm not sure about brew time.

Posted July 2, 2002 link

Another possible solution is a better grinder with the problem of the grinder's cost being out of proportion to the cost of the French press.  As to brewing time(s), this is going to depend upon the evenness of the grind unless it is filtered out via one of those screens.  Still with the screen, there is going to be overextraction, it is just that the sediment is reduced.  The damage has already been done.  I use to use a French press in which I got around to the point of trying to get as fast as an extraction as possible with the controlling factor being whether or not the grind was pressable.  You can look up my own description of a French press in the reviews to see what I am referring to.  As previously written by someone else, you could run the grind through a sieve and remove the fines - which would seem to be more trouble than it is worth, if you have the time, it is doable.
narc
narc
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: MCal,PVL2
Grinder: MacapMX, vintage hand...
Roaster: GeneCafe
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2002, 5:11pm

PressPot brew time: for me the finer I grind the shorter the extraction time.  My personal preference is a relatively fine grind(3-4 clicks coarser than the espresso icon on the SolisMaestro, no coarser than ~mid pt between icons). Normal process for a 3 click grind: water temp @ 203F, pour, stir using a chopstik, wait 2.75 to 3.5 minutes(depends upon coffee origin, roast level & age of roast),press, ENJOY.

Noel
Mano dell 'operatore> Macinadosatore> Miscela> Macchina espresso
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Press Pots  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.299764156342)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+