Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Phase Brew™ - New Bunn Brewer
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Phase Brew™...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 40 of 42 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Stringbender
Stringbender
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Hamilton Beach
Grinder: Kitchen Aid Pro-Line
Drip: Bunn Phase Brew HG
Roaster: Popcorn Popper
Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 8:58am
Subject: Re: Bunn Phase Brew™ - New Bunn Brewer

missy_ Said:

Thanks, Mike. :)

Okay, this may be the right one, but I am not certain:

BUNN HG Phase Brew 8-Cup Home Coffee Brewer

If you search through the reviews (for that product only) for the word "temperature" you will notice a few people have measured the temperature of the water. Also try for the word "degrees."

There appear to be some reliability issues with this model, but it appears to be the SCAA-certified model if I'm not mistaken. Bunn customer service seems good by all accounts here, but whether the machine is built to last I guess varies by user experience.

Posted April 14, 2012 link

Reliability issues seems to be an understatement. I've not had mine long at all... Now mine Won't heat water, it's not flashing CLE, the clock is set, and the auto-start is off... NOTHING! On/Off turns red and lights up, and shortly after it illuminates I can hear a faint 'click' and that's all.. nothing more.

I've tried and tried to get through on the phone line, but over 30 minutes on hold, and my lunch break is done... Can't call in the evening or on weekends cause the lines aren't manned, so not been able to get in touch with anyone on the phone. Fill out the customer service request on the website, and not even an automated email showing the message was received in the center?? Posted in the online forum in one of the Phase Brew threads... Still no response... Everyone talks about the great Bunn Customer Service but my experience that has not been the case...

I bought Bunn because of the reputation. I liked the HG. I liked that the Coffee was at the right temperature... I liked the look and the way it worked. Brilliant... logical thought out, very nice...

But that opinion is rapidly changing... this was my first Bunn...
 View Profile Link to this post
Stringbender
Stringbender

Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 1:35pm

Well, I finally spoke to customer service, looks like they are sending me a replacement... It stopped working last Friday, today I finally speak to customer service after numerous attempts... Just can't give up... hopefully it will finally work out...
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Thu Jul 12, 2012, 6:45pm

I've had my HG for 1.5 yrs (I think). While I've had sev'l quality issues and the machines been replaced twice (+ early on, once or twice getting a replacement carafe due to dripping and other issues), I've always gotten through to customer svc very quickly (?under a minute) and the responses have been excellent with essentially instant resolution of the issue  - for example:
     "Sorry for the problem we'll send a new one out right away."

If I were buying a drip machine now, though, I'd look very closely at the Behmor Brazen.
Stringbender
Stringbender

Posted Mon Nov 5, 2012, 7:05am

Stringbender Said:

Well, I finally spoke to customer service, looks like they are sending me a replacement... It stopped working last Friday, today I finally speak to customer service after numerous attempts... Just can't give up... hopefully it will finally work out...

Posted July 12, 2012 link

Quoting my own post because the replacement HG I was sent died Saturday morning. Half the water for the pot goes through the filter, the other half floods the counter top. Major leak....

Maybe it's time to look at that Brazen... chalk the money spent on the Bunn to a loss and learn to stay away from Bunn...
orndog

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 8:12am

I just signed up on here, but have owned a Velocity Brew since soon after they came out.  I didn't quite read every post on here, but I have a couple of questions.
My carafe doesn't "leak" every time like a bad seal, but randomly it makes quite a mess, has anybody else had intermittent problems?
Every so often it refuses to brew, it heats the water but won't open the valve. I have to start the cycle 2 to 4 times.
Has anybody had luck with a different spray head?
Has Bunn come up with a permanent filter yet?
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Wed Jan 23, 2013, 4:27pm

orndog Said:

Has Bunn come up with a permanent filter yet?

Posted January 23, 2013 link

For six cups or less I use a standard gold filter in my Bunn Phase Brew. If I'm making 8 use a paper filter.
Seems to work well.
markm3

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: UNIC Phoenix R...
Grinder: Bunn GBaratza,  Rossi...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Bunn HG, Fetco...
Roaster: Counter Culture and Gimme
Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 8:29am

jd2020 Said:

mario57,
I've been holding off on posting as I test my replacement HT, but...

I tend to agree with you, but (1) Bunn makes a point that you should get this "spray pattern" and (2) twice I've found patches of dry ground coffee in the filter after brewing a 30oz pot.  If there is *dry* coffee in the basket, then there can't possibly be good extraction throughout, no?  The basket only seems to fill with water when brewing a full 40oz pot.  Perhaps I need to grind *really* fine?

I also get better "spray" results with a 40oz pot.  I've never seen anything more than two streams and a drip with 30oz (for what that's worth).  I can't imagine what a 20oz pot does in there.  Perhaps I'll have to check.

Cheers!

Posted January 20, 2011 link

You will always get a better spray pattern with a fuller batch. I tried to explain the reason in an earlier post (at least my theory).  With a lesser amount of water in the reservoir, there is just not enough "force" in the water to create the pattern. That's also why if you watch the pattern from even a full reservoir, you'll notice that at some point it still ends up as a straight stream. Usually once the water in the reservoir is at or below the 4 cup mark.

Therefore, that would show that attempting to brew using 20oz would most likely have bad results.

Another reason for bad results with smaller batches. There is not a deep enough bed of grounds for proper extraction.  In fact, with some searching you will find what depth of grounds is actually recommended. (I recall it being a minimum of 1 1/2in.)  AFAIK this applies only to the basket style filters.  That could be why people may get better tasting small batches from a cone style filter, there's always a deeper bed of coffee involved.

Seems I've been lucky,  mine has worked from day one without any real issues.  There has been much variance in the spray pattern, which I feel is simply from the method Bunn chose to release the water. (whatever that steel disk is). I imagine there is also some differences between brewers as far as when that disk "pops" open, and how much it opens.

So it seems plausible that you can have one brewer that has a faster flow of water and excellent spray head pattern. Due to that disk opening more, wider, yet at a lower temp.
Or you get a real hot brewing temperature, and a worse pattern at the other end of the scale.

I came to that conclusion after trying a second one, that Bunn was willing to send after I complained about low brewing temp.  I ended up keeping the first as the second one brewed hotter, yet only produced a straight stream from the spray head.
markm3

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: UNIC Phoenix R...
Grinder: Bunn GBaratza,  Rossi...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Bunn HG, Fetco...
Roaster: Counter Culture and Gimme
Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 8:42am

zmeister Said:

wkearney99,
You may give Bunn a call and see if they will send you a replacement filter basket.  If they are willing to send you one for for free, then you're really not out anything if you do the cone filter mod.  The only reason I went ahead and did it is because I was grinding quite a bit finer than with a cone filter, and was still getting a weak flavored cup.  I do think that you will get better results with a gold-type filter.  It won't slow the process, but should let more oils and fines through.  Of course, the cost is you get a little bit of sludge at the bottom of the cup.  Has anyone out there tried any other type of basket style paper filters besides Bunn brand?

Posted January 21, 2011 link

I have to applauded Bunn as far as having good customer service. But, bad getting a non-working brewer, or one that you feel is not working correctly replaced is one thing.

Expecting or assuming they are going to send a free brew basket, just because YOU decided to cut a hole in it ?

Maybe I'm wrong, I just don't see why someone would expect that to happen. At what point is a company supposed to stop trying to appease a customer.  There has to be some cost involved if they are willing to go that far, and it's going to have to be passed on as increased cost to other consumers.

Yeah, they seem to send out spray heads right and left. But that's a low cost item and it's them trying to make a customer happy with their purchase.
steelgtr

Espresso: Saeco
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: TV Moccamaster/ glass
Roaster: WB Air Crazy/ Sifter
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 5:34pm

jd2020 Said:

What coffee ratios are people using for the HT/HG?  This morning I made a 30 cup pot and it was WEAK. Nearly undrinkable.  I had done quiet a bit of research and testing on the HT last year, but never got to posting my lengthy findings.  

Generally, what I found was that I needed to up-dose typical auto-drip amounts for the HT, and that making less than a full pot tended to result in weak coffee.  I suspect this is because the filter hole allows the brewed coffee-water to exit the basket quickly, minimizing the time the water is in contact with grounds. The problem is made worse the less coffee in the basket. Now Bunn probably needed to err on the side of caution to keep from having an overflow situation.  I recall thinking I would try to use some kind of gasket to restrict the draining flow from the basket. I never did for fear of overflow, but I"m really tired of wasting 50+ g of good coffee.

My typical brewing is 67g coffee to 1181g (40 oz) water. That is ok, but not really robust, and sometimes a bit weak depending on the coffee.
This morning I used 56g coffee to 946g (32 oz) water.  Undrinkable.

What are your experiences?

Posted March 11, 2012 link

Have you tried going 10 grams per 5 oz water?

bob
dolsey01

Posted Wed Mar 5, 2014, 6:46am

FYI, Costco has the Phase Brew HT for $69.99 shipped.
showing page 40 of 42 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Phase Brew™...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.358011007309)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+