Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Sowden SoftBrew
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Sowden SoftBrew  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
torontopian

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Aeropress at home, Silvia at...
Grinder: Maestro Plus at home, Rocky...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Espro and Bodum presses
Roaster: I wish..
Posted Thu Sep 30, 2010, 1:33pm
Subject: Sowden SoftBrew

Has anyone seen this brewer yet? There's a nice write up and interview with the designer in the New York Times too.

It's kind of hilarious how anti-technology these "innovative" new coffee trends seem. This one is much like the Clever dripper, the more I think about it. Sounds like a good way to brew certain SOs, at least.

For anyone that's interested in the specs I managed to procure their promotional brochure, which I've attached.
 View Profile Link to this post
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Thu Sep 30, 2010, 7:33pm
Subject: Re: Sowden SoftBrew

That looks quite nice.  Anywhere to buy that in the US?

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
Coffee_P

Posted Fri Oct 1, 2010, 1:33am

>> torontopian

Hi there,

I got a SoftBrew myself, it is not a dripper it is in fact a brewer. Believe me it's great!!
Check out these links :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Izb6A5azY

And here is the brochure :

http://www.sowden.co/softbrew/

>> sweaner :

Available at Oren's Daily roast in NY but they're already sold out!!!! have a look at page.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Oct 1, 2010, 12:08pm

Interesting but I don't see any advantage over the brewing methods I am using at the moment so I would likely not invest in the device. I really don't have any issue with plunging a press pot but not so far as to put the squeeze on the grounds then pouring slowly. and leaving a little coffee in the bottom of the pot.

I also like the Aeropress, vacpot and regular drip, so there you go but it does look interesting, if for nothing else the fineness of the filter drum.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
torontopian

Espresso: Aeropress at home, Silvia at...
Grinder: Maestro Plus at home, Rocky...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Espro and Bodum presses
Roaster: I wish..
Posted Fri Oct 1, 2010, 3:01pm

I agree. I know a lot of people immerse their grounds in a Pyrex jug and then pour it all through a filter into the cup. This is really just a classier way of doing that.

Aside from the filter and its deep positioning, I can't see much difference between this and a standard issue Bodum-style teapot.

I like the full body attained by a more forceful extraction, from say a vacpot or Aeropress. But I can see how some SOs might be nice brewed "soft."
davidhunternyc
davidhunternyc
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Oct 2, 2010, 8:21am

I, too, read about this coffee pot in the New York Times. I am extremely interested in buying this. I think that one of the reasons that there is all this fuss about this coffee pot is because it relies on technologies both old and new. Porcelain is one of those sacred materials that conveys a warmth and organic quality that glass and metal just doesn't do. For instance, would you rather drink your coffee out of a glass, metal, or porcelain cup? So why not brew your coffee with the same material? With its insulating properties, pure white surface, and simple form, it almost looks as if this coffee pot reinvents the wheel. That is difficult to do in this age of overengineering and computer aided design. I don't really know how "new" the micro-perforated metal sleeve is but it too looks like it is nothing more than purpose driven design, which is praise worthy indeed. My only question is, once your coffee is brewed to the strength of your liking, are you just supposed to leave the grounds floating in the sleeve? It seems as if the longer the grounds are floating about, the more likely your coffee will become bitter. If this is not the case, at the very least, the flavor of each subsequent cup would likely to change due to the exposed grounds.
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Sat Oct 2, 2010, 11:43am

A cousin of the Eva CafeSolo: full-infusion, filtered through finely machined metal.

torontopian Said:

I know a lot of people immerse their grounds in a Pyrex jug and then pour it all through a filter into the cup.

Posted October 1, 2010 link

This is my primary one-cup full-infusion method:

Raw full-infusion action in covered borosilicate. Poured through a small stainless tea strainer, held in my hand, into a  second pre-warmed Pyrex. Cover. Let most sediment settle in about three minutes. Pour off 90% of it into pre-warmed cup, oils cascading down off the surface, majority of sediment remaining in second Pyrex. A relatively clean full-infusion brew with practically all the oil and practically no equipment.

Outside of brewers with different applications (e.g., vac, 'spro) and all variables being equal, you just can't get a better (full-infusion) cup.

www.lampmode.com
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sat Oct 2, 2010, 12:06pm

lifeandpeace Said:

Raw full-infusion action in covered borosilicate. Poured through a small stainless tea strainer, held in my hand, into a  second pre-warmed Pyrex. Cover. Let most sediment settle in about three minutes. Pour off 90% of it into pre-warmed cup, oils cascading down off the surface, majority of sediment remaining in second Pyrex. A relatively clean full-infusion brew with practically all the oil and practically no equipment.

Posted October 2, 2010 link

This makes me thirsty...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Coffee_P

Posted Mon Oct 4, 2010, 2:17am

Hello again,
you are right! Sowden SoftBrew is a jug and hot water. This is what I like about it, it is a great way for full infusion. The SoftBrew filter makes it very simple, quick without mess and gets the very best out of all of your coffee.
You can take out the filter if you want when you think the brewing is finished; I leave it in, the coffee doesn’t go bitter.
BoldJava
BoldJava
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Sat Apr 9, 2011, 8:34am

We have one of these on a traveling road show over at http://greencoffeebuyingclub.com.  I had it first and here is my 1st Look.  Bought the 27 oz one at Seattle Coffee Gear , $50 shipped.

1st Look

Seattle Coffee Gear's service was prompt.  The packing was stellar
Ceramic - great eye candy.  Very balanced weight in the hand
Top has no "lip lock."  Watch it or it might come off on you when you are pouring
Made in China

Prep
^ Pre-heat pot with hot tap water
^ Pre-heat thermos if you aren't going to drink the 27-ounce capacity brew
^ Measure out 24 ounces so you know how high to pour and bring to a boil
(Note:  This is rated at 27-ounces.  I stayed on shy side to ensure my water was completely saturating the coffee.  Notch up volumes/amounts, as desired but stay below filtering line).
^ Weigh and grind 46g with a press pot grind
^ 45 seconds off-boil, pour 8 oz over coffee.
^ Let bloom for 30 seconds
^ Stir down, swirl down
^ Add remainder of water, stir down again.
^ Make sure your water level is not above micron-filtering holes (coffee filter has a "max" line)
^ Cover and steep for 3:30 min longer (directions suggest 4-8 minutes!)
^ Swirl and pour

Cup (Kona Maragogype)
^ Mouthfeel is similar to a heavy press pot, particulate laden cup
^ Rich in oils, flavors
^ Good cup in comparison to the Hario pourover I did with this particular bean.  Leans too far to heavy mouthfeel.  

Reactions
^ Careful with the top.  When pouring, it gets hot.  Use a thumb to retain in place.  Center is too hot to touch.
^ Watch the top coming off on a pour.
^ Easy cleanup.   Wait till filter/grounds cool, cast grounds to the wind in the yard.  Some residual grounds stick near base.
^ I have large hands (XL glove size) and had no problem getting dishcloth inside filter and pot to wash them.
^ Expect one drop to tumble down the side of the pot after pouring.

Pluses
^ Much hotter/better steeping temp than press pot
^ Full, complete range of flavors in coffee
^ Tactile bonanza

Minuses
^ Top lacks "lip lock," too hot to the touch
^ One drip with pour

Takeaway:  Gorgeous toy to adorn the counter.  If I didn't have a press pot, I would consider this brewer.  Maybe it is a bit too heavy in particulates? Won't be adding it to the arsenal.

B|Java

BoldJava: IMG_0112.JPG
(Click for larger image)

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Sowden SoftBrew  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.305675029755)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+