Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Burr Grinder for French Press & Espresso
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Burr Grinder for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Alexandr3

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Oct 25, 2010, 8:04am
Subject: Burr Grinder for French Press & Espresso

Hi,

I currently drink out of a french press (Chambord Bodum for the curious) and I also have a Handpresso for the office.

I'm looking for a good grinder that can do an even grind and both corse and fine. I'm not ready to shed out 300$ for a Rocky, but anything up to about 100$ is OK. The noise level is also important as I have young kids sleeping in the morning (well... sometimes) and I don't want to buzz the whole household when I prepare my grind!

Any suggestion? I read the Breville BCG450XL is good, but i did not found any video to hear the sound of it.

I appreciate all the help you can give!
 View Profile Link to this post
Alexandr3

Posted Mon Oct 25, 2010, 8:15am
Subject: Re: Burr Grinder for French Press & Espresso

While still looking, I saw good feedback on the Baratza G 285 Maestro and on the Cuisinart DBM-8 (CCM-16PC1).

Anybody knows if they all work well will espresso and french press coarse grind?
kschendel

Grinder: Maestro
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Mon Oct 25, 2010, 8:55am

If you are serious about espresso grinding for under $100, your only real option is a hand grinder.  Take a look at the Kyocera and similar grinders at Orphan Espresso (www.orphanespresso.com).  O-E also refurbishes classic hand grinders (usually German make, Zassenhaus etc), and depending on what they have available you might consider one of those instead.

The Baratza Maestro is a fine non-espresso grinder for drip, Aeropress, and press pot.  (I own one and I like it.)  It is not meant for espresso grinding, which requires very detailed control and a particular (bi-modal) grind profile at a fine grinding level.  You might get lucky with an espresso grind from a Maestro, but probably not.

I know nothing about the Cuisinart or Breville grinders, but their lack of fans here at h-b is pretty conclusive IMHO.  I'd take a Baratza grinder over Cuisinart or Breville any day;  Baratza is serious about customer service, while Cuisinart and Breville seem to be serious about selling to mall retail stores.

If I were you I'd go for a hand grinder for now.  It really isn't all that much harder than dealing with a powered grinder, for one coffee drinker or even two, and the hand grinder is a lot cheaper.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Oct 25, 2010, 9:03am

I have no experience with the Breville, but I own the Cuisinart and Baratza so I am qualified to offer my own opinion supported by anecdotal evidence - but hey, the advice is free so the price is right.  The Baratza provides a grind that is noticeably more consistent than the Cuisinart.  The noise produced by the Baratza is lower pitched and not like a power drill.  The Cuisinart has a high pitch similar to an electric drill (not screwdriver - drill...).  The Cuisinart is cheaper though, but with grinders (and advice), you get what you pay for.

Do you use pods with the Handpresso at work?  The Maestro is not going to work very well grinding for espresso but is good for press or pour over.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Alexandr3

Posted Mon Oct 25, 2010, 10:53am

Hi, I use grinded coffee at work. I currently use pre-grounded coffee, but the aroma lost is too great.

Those Zassenhaus manual grinds look great! But they don't do different grinds? Right now I'm looking for an all in one solution, but I'm keeping that site bookmarked for a future date. Thanks!

So Baratza best, then Cuisinart.  Are the refurbished Baratza great quality? Do they stand by them (and ship them to Canada)? (I'm asking because for brand new grinders they don't...)

Thanks for your help again!
s0ckeyeus

Posted Mon Oct 25, 2010, 11:22am

Alexandr3 Said:

Those Zassenhaus manual grinds look great! But they don't do different grinds? Right now I'm looking for an all in one solution, but I'm keeping that site bookmarked for a future date. Thanks!

Posted October 25, 2010 link

Most hand grinders are adjustable.  The Zassenhaus grinders have a knob that you can turn to adjust the grind.  You kind of have to play around with it a bit until you find the settings you like.

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons" - T.S. Eliot
Alexandr3

Posted Mon Oct 25, 2010, 11:46am

s0ckeyeus Said:

The Zassenhaus grinders have a knob that you can turn to adjust the grind.

Posted October 25, 2010 link

Oh, didn't know that. And they are adjustable from coarse to espresso, right? For turkish, I would need another model.
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Mon Oct 25, 2010, 12:19pm

I think the only well-recommended full-range grinder out there is the Baratza Vario. It does espresso and french well, but you may need to make some adjustments when switching between the two (i.e. turn a screw). Early reports mention the Baratza Virtuoso Preciso handles both well too, and it's cheaper, but it's brand new and not well-exposed yet. I had no luck with my hand grinder doing a french grind, it was way too inconsistent. And I think that's a common problem with conical burr hand mills, so if some of the better ones are flat burr, you may have more luck. For a budget setup, I'd suggest going with two grinders (a Baratza Virtuoso refurb and a hand mill would work nicely), since nearly no grinders out there do both ends of the grind range very well.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Zerileous

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Oct 26, 2010, 8:25am

I have had pretty good results with a Hario Skerton for french press.  At first the grind was inconsistent but after some breaking in (I don't know if this actually helped or simply caused damage incidentally but one of the first things I did was rub the burrs together a bit when I was getting inconsistent results.)  After finding zero I stepped back maybe 5 steps and got good results (mind you I do like my french press grinds fairly fine).  That said, I do find it troublesome to grind enough coffee for a french press.  If I start grinding at the same time as I start the tea-kettle I will be done in time; maybe I'm just slow/lazy though.  OTOH grinding enough for a double shot of espresso shouldn't be too difficult.  The german mills with the name that starts with Z (again me being lazy) are stepless I believe, whereas the Hario is not.  That said its a great little grinder if your willing to crank out the effort, the burrs are great since most of the price goes into good burrs instead of all the junk in an electric.  I'd assume the same is true for the german ones, I have seen one in action and they are nicer, but also more expensive.

Maybe get a hand crank for the office and a budget electric for the home (you could get a maestro and a skerton for around $150, and then have totally fresh coffee every time you press one out at the office with no electric disturbances.)

Sorry for the poor stream of consciousness and all the parentheses.  I think I burned up all of my focus doing serial dilutions in lab this morning.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Burr Grinder for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.273739099503)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+