Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bodum Bistro burr grinder
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bodum Bistro...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Zinger

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Jan 30, 2011, 5:41pm
Subject: Re: Bodum Bistro burr grinder

New here as well so I'll give a little intro.  

Discovering GOOD coffee and finding it quite a pleasant learning experience.

Now I must say that budget is a big concern at the moment so I am starting out small...I did find a local roaster and began experimenting.  For a very cheap investment I've already made leaps and bounds toward better coffee.  I bought an Aeropress and have been trying some recipes found online as well as experimenting on my own.

So this brings me to grinding...bought a cheap Cuisenart (DBM-8) at Bed Bath and Beyond for $50.  I am less than happy with the results so it'll be going back.

In doing a bit of research I've narrowed my choices to these four budget grinders:
Bodum Bistro
Capresso Infinity
Baratza Maestro
Breville Bararoma

Was disappointed to see there are no official reviews of the Bodum Bistro as of yet on this site.  Looks like a decent product and is reviewed well elsewhere. I really like the fact that it has the glass grind receptacle to cut the static.  I'd really like to know how grind retention is?  I like the Baratza units because from what I read they retain the least amount.

Anyway the Bodum and Capresso units I listed above can be had for mid to high $60's new.  Bed Bath and Beyond sell both ($80 and $84 respectively) and have 20% coupons that can be used. I know the refurb'd Baratza's can be had but I really can't wait.

Thinking I may take one for the team and try the newer Bodum...thoughts?

Recent convert to better coffee.

Bodum Bistro burr grinder$64
Aeropress $23
Rival Electric Hot Pot $11
Cheap digital scale $16
Total investment $114  Better cup...PRICELESS
 View Profile Link to this post
NonGeek
NonGeek
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Techni Vorm CD10
Posted Sun Jan 30, 2011, 6:44pm

CraigA Said:

Hi Stefan,

Welcome to the Coffeegeek forums! {;-)

Thank you!

Have you looked into a Baratza Maestro refurb?, $83.00 Canadian on sale for $70.00.

Posted January 30, 2011 link

Where, prey tell?  I do not see any such offers here or at their retailer links:
Click Here (www.baratza.com)

Thanks for the suggestion, it looks good!  I might go for the "Plus" model because it has a timer.

Stefan
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Jan 30, 2011, 11:20pm

Click my website button. {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Zinger

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Feb 10, 2011, 5:38am

So I took the plunge and bought this grinder.  I'm very pleased with it.  Heads and shoulders above a blade grinder and the Cuisenart that I gave a shot.

I picked it up for $67 out the door($64 plus tax).  This was from Bed, Bath and Beyond...this is not sold in store but if you go to the store they will place the order for you, you are able to use one of their coupons (online orders from home you can't use coupon), and if you tell them the shipping is a deal breaker they will waive it (I just told them I was going to check around and see if I could find it local before I paid for shipping and they waived it...they have done this for me in the past as well when I ordered my Aeropress).

The only methods I use for coffee are filtered brewer and Aeropress and the settings are just fine for me.  I does get pretty fine...my GUESS would be you could use this for espresso...if anyone near me wants to try I'd grind for a test shot.

The grind is consistent with virtually no powder...the Cuisenart was terrible leaving me with an unacceptable amount of fines each time I ground (I was only grinding 10-15 grams at a time for my Aeropress).

I would pretty much echo the OP.  I thought that brief review nailed all the points.  My favorite aspect is the glass receptacle for the grounds which is virtually static free.  I measured ground retention to be less than one gram (my cheap scale only measures in full grams...I guess it was around half a gram, maybe a bit more).  The only thing I'd like to see included would be a scoop/cleaning brush.  One came with the crappy Cuisenart I had and it would be nice if Bodum included at least a brush.

I'm relatively new to the finer points of coffee grinders.  I don't know all the ins and outs of burr angle and steel, etc, etc.  but I've got to give this unit high marks for the end result...and at a very affordable price too!

Recent convert to better coffee.

Bodum Bistro burr grinder$64
Aeropress $23
Rival Electric Hot Pot $11
Cheap digital scale $16
Total investment $114  Better cup...PRICELESS
tommyd88

Grinder: Bodum Bristro
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Posted Thu Feb 10, 2011, 9:14am

I as well have just purchased a Bodum Bristro,  I have to echo much of Zingers points..  One is I also bought mine from BBB, (North Austin location)  .  I used a 20% off coupon and the manager whom I just happened to ask for help also waived the shipping charges, so obviously this is something they will do if you just ask, I did not even ask he just offered... So $67 total out the door shipped as they do not appear to stock these units in the stores. , very good deal.

I am drinking my 2nd cup using the grinder now..    Is there a difference ?  ( I had no grinder before so was using pre ground store bought coffee , Community Coffee in a Bunn Phase Brew)

My first reaction is this is the best cup I have ever produced at home.

I am sure much of the improvement is due to the beans I am using.  Cuvee's Laguna Las Ranas roasted about 6 days ago.  I notice much more substantial body/flavor, No bitterness, nice smooth flavorful cup.

Looking at the grounds produced I can not see any powder to speak of, The grind looks to my eye to be very uniform.   Like others indicated the glass receptacle seems to negate any static buildup. When it is in place it is basically sealed during operation and when opened to dispense the grounds there was no residual static evident.  I did notice that after the grind by leaning the unit forward and a slight tap on the back would dislodge some residual grounds.

One thing I am wondering about, the instructions with the unit states the grinder comes "Pre Set" to medium grind.   Yet when you connect the bean hopper to the unit it can only be attached in the position of coarse grind, there are 2 small notches that must align and the red pointer is then aligned in the coarse position , far right of the dial..  I adjusted the pointer to the medium position as a starting point but imo the grind looked a bit fine for that setting.  ( remember I am a newbie with the burr grinder)
Anyone with more experience have any thoughts on this ,  I will be looking on the forum for discussions on grind size and if there is any consensus on grinds best suited for a drip machine like the Bunn I have..

My first impression of this grinder is very positive, I can see once I get it dialed in to my needs it will be a relative simple process.   The fact the timer stays set to where you set it is a good feature. Once I find the grind I like and figure out exactly how much to grind per brew it seems it will be easy to repeatedly grind beans to my liking.  
  Did I say I was a newbie ??    ( it will be easy lol)

I would definitely consider this unit only for a low volume household.  The note in the instructions warn about not grinding over 20 seconds a shot with a 5 min waiting period..  If you have to grind larger quantities this unit is probably not for you...  The unit does appear to be built well, it is attractive (imo) and is simple to operate.  As far as longevity who knows but at the price point it might be a very good entry into burr grinding.

For me it looks to be fine,  and first impressions are very good.  

I can not tell you how many times over the years I was disappointed by the coffee I brewed at home...  Just never was that good,  things are looking up....

Here's a little review I came across on this grinder,   Click Here (londiniumespresso.com)

and another:  http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/Bodum-Bistro-Burr-Grinder-p/scg11543.htm

Would also add the unit seems to grind more consistent for smaller grind sizes,  at the large end of the grind my eye tells me there is much more variance in grind size..   But that is jmo by what my eyeball is telling me..
rwgamer

Grinder: Bodum Bistro Burr
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: Toastmaster 6203 (popper)
Posted Fri Mar 4, 2011, 9:50am

Here's a review from Seattle Coffee Gear:

Click Here (www.youtube.com)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
nikil511

Posted Sat Mar 5, 2011, 12:43pm

I bought the Bistro grinder, and modified it on day one.
I think after modification it is a good grinder for its money.

I made a post with mod instructions/photos for anyone interested.

"Re: Bodum Bistro burr grinder MOD for fine/espresso"

Regards,
Manolis
magnetnerd

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2011, 6:41am

]I just bought this grinder and will be giving it a review when it arrives.

I went in to Bed Bath and Beyond yesterday and ordered it at customer service, using my 20% off coupon. I asked if shipping would factor into the cost and the lady said that it wouldn't, but it was "just a one time thing".

So, for $67 after taxes, I got a new grinder shipped to my address. Pretty sweet deal!

My gf and I also spotted some sweet ceramic travel mugs there, normally $10, but reduced to only $4 for two!

Click Here (i909.photobucket.com)
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Mar 27, 2011, 8:56am

magnetnerd Said:

I just bought this grinder and will be giving it a review when it arrives.

I went in to Bed Bath and Beyond yesterday and ordered it at customer service, using my 20% off coupon. I asked if shipping would factor into the cost and the lady said that it wouldn't, but it was "just a one time thing".

So, for $67 after taxes, I got a new grinder shipped to my address. Pretty sweet deal!

Posted March 27, 2011 link

Welcome to coffeegeek

That is a strong price on the Bodum - $67 for a conical burr grinder is a very good deal!

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
dyno

Espresso: Salvatore The Club/Oscar
Grinder: K6 Pro/Super Mini E
Posted Sun Nov 20, 2011, 8:02pm

nikil511 Said:

Hello to everyone ! and great site by the way! (this is my first post)

It is my understanding that all sub-100$ grinders suck for espresso, including previous Bodum model Antigua. However many cheap-burr grinders can be modified to produce finer grains. That is the case with Antigua hence I assume that the same principle applies on Bristo ?
(can you please confirm, instructions are here, but I'm sure more details can be found in other places as well)
http://www.kwilson.fsnet.co.uk/grinder_tweaks.htm

Posted January 20, 2011 link

This is untimely as it gets but I just tried the above mod on a Bistro.

The basic mechanicals of the Bistro are the same as the Antigua except you must unscrew the body of the grinder from the base.  There are two exposed screws at the base plus two more screws behind rubber feet which are easily pried loose.  The body can then be coerced  from the base but doesn't need to be completely separated...just enough to pop the plastic trim around the chute and access the white rings at the top of the grinder.

As in the link, pop the first white ring with a flathead screwdriver (mark the location of the notch first).  The ring is held on with clips that aren't particularly difficult to release.  The white ring underneath has a series of holes on the perimeter and must be turned clockwise to adjust the grind.  Mark it with a Sharpie.  Mine did not 'click' as it was turned (as referenced in the link above) so I just guessed.  I might have done 3/4 of a turn but forgot to mark it with a Sharpie :0.  Reinstall the first ring and reassemble the rest of the grinder.

Fortunately the burrs do not touch on the finest setting so I had made a reasonable guess.  At this finest setting , the grind is very very fine, powdery even.  Prior to adjustment, the grind at this setting was much coarser than you would find in retail prepackaged fine grinds.

Hope this helps someone.
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bodum Bistro...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.3255879879)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+