Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Pour over kettle alternatives
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Pour over kettle...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
austin

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Apr 27, 2011, 8:49am
Subject: Re: Pour over kettle alternatives

The only times I really have control issues with the cheap oil drizzling can is during the pre-infusion phase where i'm trying to get all the grounds wet with the least amount of water.  The water seems to dribble out of the spout.  So there's accuracy issues initially... but for the rest of the pour it provides a nice steady stream.
 View Profile Link to this post
crayonshinchan
crayonshinchan
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto II
Grinder: B. Maestro & Vario, Peugeot...
Vac Pot: Cona D, Yama
Drip: Chemex, V60, Kone,...
Posted Wed Apr 27, 2011, 10:09am

austin Said:

The only times I really have control issues with the cheap oil drizzling can is during the pre-infusion phase where i'm trying to get all the grounds wet with the least amount of water.  The water seems to dribble out of the spout.  So there's accuracy issues initially... but for the rest of the pour it provides a nice steady stream.

Posted April 27, 2011 link

Same here, except it doesn't dribble out for me.  I usually overshoot the grounds and hit the edges.  I've since learned to anticipate and compensate my aim LOL
whd2102

Posted Wed Apr 27, 2011, 11:25am

crayonshinchan Said:

Sure, but I'm talking about bling factor, which is obviously the most important aspect of anything in life.

And I'm not quite sure temp retention would be that much more drastic between the two sizes.  Especially if you pre-heat your kettles and/or put it on the stove.  Also, you don't always fill up the entire kettle so in those instances wouldn't .51 liters in a .9 liter kettle have the same temp retention as .51 liters in a .51 liter kettle?  

I'm not quite sure I buy this high-class concern.  I'm open to hearing otherwise though.

Posted April 26, 2011 link

The "high-class" concern would be paying $100-$250 (depending on the Takahiro's finish) for "bling" when you already have multiple pouring kettles. If you want to buy that instead of my suggestion, no skin off my back.

I've made dynamic cups with the 0.51 (a friend's) when doing classic Japanese one-cup pour-overs but for anything larger, I prefer a larger kettle. I do fill it up to the brim.
austin

Posted Wed Apr 27, 2011, 12:20pm

I've discovered that my pour control is really good when the oil drizzling can is not completely full.  When the water level is below the level of the start of the spout, I can control drip by drip.  Not bad for $6!
crayonshinchan
crayonshinchan

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto II
Grinder: B. Maestro & Vario, Peugeot...
Vac Pot: Cona D, Yama
Drip: Chemex, V60, Kone,...
Posted Wed Apr 27, 2011, 10:00pm

whd2102 Said:

The "high-class" concern would be paying $100-$250 (depending on the Takahiro's finish) for "bling" when you already have multiple pouring kettles. If you want to buy that instead of my suggestion, no skin off my back.

I've made dynamic cups with the 0.51 (a friend's) when doing classic Japanese one-cup pour-overs but for anything larger, I prefer a larger kettle. I do fill it up to the brim.

Posted April 27, 2011 link

Ok, I understand, and I was half-joking about the bling factor.  It's a lot of money for a kettle.  I wouldn't particularly brag that I paid $250 for a kettle.  To be able to have one would be quite an honor and I'd use it for specific usages like the one you mentioned.

I'm not really trying to justify paying a lot of money for something.  I'm just saying that .51 liter Takahiro looks cool and would be nice to add to the collection.

I wasn't literally upset that I found out about the .51 liter after the fact, it was more like, "oh wow, I didn't know they had that."

I have a cheap oil drizzler, a Hario Buono, and the .9 liter Takahiro.  I like to collect and experiment with different equipment, so I'm not necessarily trying to go against your "suggestion," even though I didn't see any suggestion initially except that you stated that a smaller capacity kettle isn't ideal for temperature stability.  Perhaps I wanted you to elaborate on that more.  

I guess my point/question was, if you were stuck with a smaller capacity kettle, is temp stability a real issue or is it a high-class problem to have considering these type of kettles provides many benefits?

All in all, I think this is an interesting tangent this discussion has taken, so thanks for bringing it up (even if it was just short response to my post).
JPDyson
JPDyson

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Thu Apr 28, 2011, 5:43am

So, the mention of oil drizzlers sent my search in a couple of new directions. Came up with a few things that, while not designed for what we're doing, could work with little to no modification.

Click Here (www.amazon.com)
I thought this one was stylish and probably ready to go right away, no mods. Price isn't terrible either, but I think we can do better.

Click Here (www.crateandbarrel.com)
Interesting, because it's cheap and for many folks locally available. Might have trouble with that handle, but using a small towel to insulate against heat could help.

I've seen a few other items come up in searches for "oil can" and "oil drizzler" (weeding out automotive products). Might be worth your time to look.

--Josh
austin

Posted Thu Apr 28, 2011, 6:35am

@JPDyson  The crate and barrel version looks slightly better than the one I have, if only because it has a slight kink on the end of the spout as well as a little lip.  I'd like to see this in action, but I'm assuming this spout would help in the control department.  As for the handle. it's basically no different than mine.  I don't use a towel to insulate it against burning my hand.  The handle itself stays cool and there's enough clearance between my knuckle and the kettle body that I don't burn myself.
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Fri May 6, 2011, 10:11am

austin Said:

@JPDyson  The crate and barrel version looks slightly better than the one I have, if only because it has a slight kink on the end of the spout as well as a little lip.  I'd like to see this in action, but I'm assuming this spout would help in the control department.  As for the handle. it's basically no different than mine.  I don't use a towel to insulate it against burning my hand.  The handle itself stays cool and there's enough clearance between my knuckle and the kettle body that I don't burn myself.

Posted April 28, 2011 link

Thanks for the tip on this C&B oil can. I just picked one up. Looks to be perfect for my needs. It's small enough (14 oz. capacity) not to rob too much heat from the water I add to it (especially after preheating the can). More importantly, it pours like a dream. Thin stream, good control, no drips. Note: I don't have a Buono to compare with in terms of flow. Also, I can confirm that the handle doesn't get hot. Looking forward to using it with a Kalita Kantan dripper later today!
Koldd

Posted Fri May 6, 2011, 11:35am

I've been using an ordinary "briefcase" thermos . It has a screw-top with grooves designed for pouring when partially unscrewed. If unscrewed to the right level, it produces an amazingly thin stream. I feel it's easier to control than the Buono, since you can hold it right in front (think pencil vs calligraphy brush), though this is probably a matter of practice and preference.

It also has near perfect temperature retention.

The thermos
JPDyson
JPDyson

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Fri May 6, 2011, 6:17pm

Yeah, the C&B oil can hold plenty for a single cup pourover, and pouring in just boiled water into a room temp can resulted in water at 205F for me. Nice pour out of it, too. It's a winner for those with small needs.

--Josh
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Pour over kettle...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.330071926117)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+