Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Does anyone have a Breville Smart Grinder?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Does anyone have...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JPDyson
JPDyson
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Thu May 26, 2011, 5:58am
Subject: Re: Does anyone have a Breville Smart Grinder?

Right, like I noted in my edit, I finally did find the video where they applied shims, and it certainly got fine enough. I would want to see other evidences of grind quality, of course - the naked extraction didn't look great, but that's as much about the load/level/tamp process (and this was just a quick-and-dirty demo, not a fastidious-and-exacting evaluation).

Consider it's price-point competition - does it grind as evenly and repeatably as, say, a Virtuoso?

--Josh
 View Profile Link to this post
NickH

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Breville Smart...
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu May 26, 2011, 6:14am

Yeah, can't say. I used the Vario for a few months, but never the Virtuoso/Preciso. IMO it grinds as consistent/fine as the Vario, but the Vario just doesn't have to work as hard. Which goes back, again, to your comment about longevity.  It also provides a similar step/micro-step system as the Baratza, which is useful when you're making only a couple espressos a day.

I use a naked portafilter on my Pavoni and while there are even more factors affecting dispersion on extraction (pull weight, lead time on infusion, single or fellini pull etc.) for what it's worth my last 3 pulls had great extraction with no channeling.

As an update: I installed the shims and, contrary to what I saw in the SCG video, it actually eliminated most of the ugly clumping. By adding the 1mm shim I have it dialed in 3 notches back from finest for the Brazil I'm using. That gives me ample room to adjust for different coffees/blends and environment. I pulled 5 shots in the process of dialing it last night and the last couple were extremely consistent and had some beautiful flecking and striping that I struggled to achieve on the Kyocera (though this is also the first time I've used this particular Brazilian bean). Tasted amazing too. This morning's shot was equally gorgeous and required 0 grinder adjustment. I'll get a photo of the next shot to demonstrate quality.

After working with it for almost 2 weeks, all but one concern has been assuaged. Because of Breville espresso rep, I was half expecting to return it, but thought I would give it a shot simply because the store where I bought it guaranteed instant and hassle-free return. I have no regrets. It remains to be seen how long it will last.
Conclusion thus far: It's certainly worth considering if, like me, you're on a tight budget and only make a small number of drinks a day/week.

---------------------------------
Pre-millennium Europiccola, Kyocera grinder, Joie Cafe-In (single-cup drip)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu May 26, 2011, 7:59am

psychobrew Said:

I know Breville is a dirty word around here, but their latest products have been getting great reviews and that includes the Breville Smart Grinder.  The product itself looks great and the price is really good too.

If you have any experience with this grinder, what is your opinion of it?

Edit:  This was supposed to go in the Espresso/Grinders forums.  It seems I followed a link about other grinders from that forum and ended up here....Since I don't want to cross post, can this thread please be moved?

Posted May 24, 2011 link

I have one and fine its ease of use and adjustability excellent.  Breville did their homework designing this machine.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
psychobrew

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu May 26, 2011, 10:33pm

So how many useable settings does this grinder have for espresso?  Is it as adjustable as something like a Baratza Preciso?  Does it need to be?
JPDyson
JPDyson

Posted Fri May 27, 2011, 5:52am

Just LOOKING at the number of adjustments, not nearly as many as a Preciso or Vario. I would say that if your grinder budget is $200, it's "par". You have to go up in price to get that level of fine control.

--Josh
NickH

Posted Fri May 27, 2011, 6:29am

Between each of the lines marked on the lcd screen there is one or two more "clicks" or "turns" that are unmarked. There are more as you get up into the finer espresso range sometimes three or four clicks between steps. Can't compare it to the Preciso and it definitely doesn't have the same number of steps as the Vario, but the Breville behaves in some ways like a stepless (you can stop between clicks of the dial) and the Vario is more than double the price. After three different S.Os, two blends and two weeks, I have yet to have the experience of not being able to dial it in because of "missing steps".

Keep in mind that the Breville is NOT a dedicated espresso grinder - go stepless for that (the ascaso i-mini is a great option in the same price/size range). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbtYtChhdyE

JPDyson
JPDyson

Posted Fri May 27, 2011, 7:23am

NickH Said:

Between each of the lines marked on the lcd screen there is one or two more "clicks" or "turns" that are unmarked. There are more as you get up into the finer espresso range sometimes three or four clicks between steps.

Posted May 27, 2011 link

Did not know that. Wow - very interesting...

--Josh
psychobrew

Posted Fri May 27, 2011, 6:50pm

NickH Said:

Between each of the lines marked on the lcd screen there is one or two more "clicks" or "turns" that are unmarked. There are more as you get up into the finer espresso range sometimes three or four clicks between steps. Can't compare it to the Preciso and it definitely doesn't have the same number of steps as the Vario, but the Breville behaves in some ways like a stepless (you can stop between clicks of the dial) and the Vario is more than double the price. After three different S.Os, two blends and two weeks, I have yet to have the experience of not being able to dial it in because of "missing steps".

Keep in mind that the Breville is NOT a dedicated espresso grinder - go stepless for that (the ascaso i-mini is a great option in the same price/size range). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbtYtChhdyE

Posted May 27, 2011 link

So the i-mini will give me better quality espresso?

Sorry, I'm entering the territory of information overload.  This was supposed to be a quick and simple purchase of an espresso machine......
NickH

Posted Fri May 27, 2011, 7:00pm

It has more adjustability in the espresso range, I can't really comment on anything else though, since I've never used it. I've heard good things though - honestly I don't think you'd go wrong with either machine and if you think you'd EVER use it for anything but espresso, the Ascaso would be a nightmare.

If you wanted a "simple and easy" choice - coming to coffeegeek was your first mistake :) A good mistake though, I promise - you'll be happy when that first perfect shot hits your lips.

psychobrew

Posted Sat May 28, 2011, 1:21pm

NickH Said:

It has more adjustability in the espresso range, I can't really comment on anything else though, since I've never used it. I've heard good things though - honestly I don't think you'd go wrong with either machine and if you think you'd EVER use it for anything but espresso, the Ascaso would be a nightmare.

If you wanted a "simple and easy" choice - coming to coffeegeek was your first mistake :) A good mistake though, I promise - you'll be happy when that first perfect shot hits your lips.

Posted May 27, 2011 link

If the Smart Grinder is basically step less, then how would the iMini have more adjustability?  The thing I don't like about the iMini is it stores alot of grinds in the chute, though I'm assuming it doesn't suffer from the same clumping issues.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Does anyone have...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315455913544)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+