Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Does anyone have a Breville Smart Grinder?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Does anyone have...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
psychobrew

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue May 24, 2011, 5:44pm
Subject: Does anyone have a Breville Smart Grinder?

I know Breville is a dirty word around here, but their latest products have been getting great reviews and that includes the Breville Smart Grinder.  The product itself looks great and the price is really good too.

If you have any experience with this grinder, what is your opinion of it?

Edit:  This was supposed to go in the Espresso/Grinders forums.  It seems I followed a link about other grinders from that forum and ended up here....Since I don't want to cross post, can this thread please be moved?
 View Profile Link to this post
JPDyson
JPDyson
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Tue May 24, 2011, 6:32pm
Subject: Re: Does anyone have a Breville Smart Grinder?

I had the Breville Conical Burr grinder for a solid 2 years before I started to notice a real dip in performance - the metal burrs just wore out, and $40 for a new top burr (no bottom burr available) was absurd. By contrast, Baratza sells a SET of burrs for less.

Breville sells some sexy equipment, but you do pay the Breville tax. I like the smart grinder on paper, I'm just concerned about longevity.

--Josh
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Tue May 24, 2011, 10:03pm

People who have these did post opinions in this thread:

"Does anybody know the new Breville BCG800 (Smart Grinder)?"

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
NickH

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Breville Smart...
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Wed May 25, 2011, 5:37am

I just got mine last week. It's a great all-around grinder - I do mostly espresso with some Aeropress and the occasional drip. It goes fine enough for my La Pavoni Europiccola (with a little updosing) right out of the box and maintains good consistency all the way down to drip grind. I'll be putting one of the smaller shims I ordered from them (for free) on the drive shaft to give myself a little wiggle room at the fine end - not a big deal, a five minute job from what I've seen.

I can understand the concern with longevity - it probably won't outlast a Mazzer, the motor sounds like it struggles a little more than it probably should. But for the $175CDN that I got it for, I could get a new one every 2 years for 6 years and be just equal to a Mazzer :P Plus, it's far more attractive than most of the dedicated espresso grinders out there - very small footprint and very quiet too. It doesn't dwarf my La Pavoni and it doesn't look like I'm trying to run a cafe out of my house!
Really intelligible grind size selection too - it provides step increments through the LCD, but isn't technically stepped - the grinder just takes a reading of where the burrs are on the continuum from far-apart to close-together, so it is possible to go between "steps".
Last thing: it does clump, which isn't uncommon for doserless home grinders, so it might require the WDT or grinding into a container. I grind into a little glass, stir and then dose just because the LP has such a small basket (49mm) that I made a mess when stirring in the basket. Not a big deal, also disperses whatever static there might be (haven't noticed any yet though).

Great option in my opinion. If you have any questions, let me know. I had trouble finding some decent consumer reviews before I took the leap.

---------------------------------
Pre-millennium Europiccola, Kyocera grinder, Joie Cafe-In (single-cup drip)
psychobrew

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed May 25, 2011, 6:37am

Please excuse my ignorance, but what's wrong with clumping?
NickH

Posted Wed May 25, 2011, 6:51am

If the coffee is not "de-clumped" somehow, it can lead to uneven distribution in the basket and an uneven tamp. This can result in channeling and uneven extraction. In other words, some parts of the coffee "puck" will be more or less extracted which can lead to unpleasant amounts of bitter or sour notes in the coffee.

Clumping can be resolved using the WDT (Weiss Distribution Technique) which simply involved stirring the grinds with a pin/needle to de-clump and distribute the grinds or grinding into a separate container and breaking the clumps there before moving to the basket.

Clumping is very common in home machines, partially because many are doserless (that's one of the major purposes of dosers) and because they're usually not as powerful as commercial machines. Some of the really high end machines employ a mesh-wire net between the grinding chamer and the exit chute to declump (Mazzer Mini-e) and some machines clump more than others - it's often a factor of the length of the chute and the speed of the burrs.

If clumping is the biggest problem in your home setup though, you're doing alright! :)

Hope this helps.

JPDyson
JPDyson
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Wed May 25, 2011, 12:42pm

Seattle Coffee Gear says it's not an espresso grinder (not fine enough). Perhaps there's a simple mod - that was the case for the Conical Burr grinder (allowed finer settings) but I never really used it with a non-pressurized basket with success.

Edit: I see their update w/the shim kit.

--Josh
NickH

Posted Wed May 25, 2011, 12:49pm

Read my post above and watch SCG's other video on the shimmed upgrade (it chokes a Rocket Giotto - not exactly a common comsumer machine:P). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8piBChRggPM This is a completely different grinder than the conical burr that you're talking about too; the burrs are larger and they've added a more powerful motor, among other things.

JtothaR
JtothaR

Espresso: Faema D92/A1 Smart
Grinder: B VARIO, Krups Conic
Drip: Manual Pour-Over, Bodum...
Roaster: Redbird, Metropolis
Posted Wed May 25, 2011, 2:17pm

NickH Said:

(it chokes a Rocket Giotto - not exactly a common comsumer machine:P)

Posted May 25, 2011 link

Choking a machine is not really a measure of grinder quality.

-James

Load and Lock.
NickH

Posted Wed May 25, 2011, 2:21pm

It is a measure of fineness, which is one attribute of grinder quality. I spoke to many of the others in my first post above. The fact that it can grind fine enough to choke a semi-commercial machine simply demonstrates that it is capable of a fine enough grind for any home setup.

Not sure I ever made the statement: this grinder can choke a Giotto, ergo, it is of high quality :P

showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Does anyone have...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.298672199249)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+