Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Does anyone have a Breville Smart Grinder?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Does anyone have...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
NickH

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Breville Smart...
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sat May 28, 2011, 2:12pm
Subject: Re: Does anyone have a Breville Smart Grinder?

The "basically" part is because the smart grinder sets upper and lower limits - in other words it limits how close the burrs can get to each other. That said, you can add shims (as I have done, they're free from Breville) to get the burrs closer together. It's a 5 minute thing, takes very little effort.

I use the Breville twice a day for espresso and I've yet to have a problem. I also use it for aeropress and cold brew (very coarse grind) and it takes all of 10 seconds to reset it to espresso grind.

What espresso machine are you using?

---------------------------------
Pre-millennium Europiccola, Kyocera grinder, Joie Cafe-In (single-cup drip)
 View Profile Link to this post
JVBorella
JVBorella

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Sat May 28, 2011, 3:21pm

One thing to keep in mine is that NickH is grinding for a lever machine which uses a much coarser grind then a pump machine which is using normal (non pressurized) baskets. As I mentioned in the original S/G thread I picked one of these up with the intention of using it as a travel grinder for syphon & espresso but ended up returning it. If you are only going to use it for brew grinding I think the Breville is an excellent choice & a steal at the $160 they can be bought for. As an espresso grinder I'd say it's probably not bad for $160 but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I knew for that use.

Shimmed for lever (Microcasa) use the output wasn't too clumpy & the shots were tolerable but disappointing taste wise. When I shimmed it to grind fine enough to work with a pump machine the grounds coming out resembled dense little coffee turds that required quite a bit of WDT to make presentable. Even when I'd done the prep & was getting nice looking pours the resulting shots were close to undrinkable. The Breville would turn really good espresso blends & S/Os into what I considered undrinkable swill (IMO). Shimmed for pump espresso the Breville is extremely slow & labors as it really is under powered.

My advice is save up for a Preciso or better yet pick up one of the Pharos grinders from OE. For only $250 you get a grinder that uses the 68mm conical burr set found in commercial grinders selling for $1200-$2500. Of course you provide the power. Lots of info on the Pharos here:
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

John
NickH

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Breville Smart...
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sat May 28, 2011, 3:28pm

All good points - I've never used the Breville with a pump machine so I can't comment.

My shim set up has very little clumping and has achieved some really great (tasting) results. No undrinkable swill here.

I'd go with JV's suggestions. He's very confident in his feedback and clearly has more experience than I do.

---------------------------------
Pre-millennium Europiccola, Kyocera grinder, Joie Cafe-In (single-cup drip)
psychobrew

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun May 29, 2011, 11:49am

JVBorella Said:

One thing to keep in mine is that NickH is grinding for a lever machine which uses a much coarser grind then a pump machine which is using normal (non pressurized) baskets. As I mentioned in the original S/G thread I picked one of these up with the intention of using it as a travel grinder for syphon & espresso but ended up returning it. If you are only going to use it for brew grinding I think the Breville is an excellent choice & a steal at the $160 they can be bought for. As an espresso grinder I'd say it's probably not bad for $160 but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I knew for that use.

Shimmed for lever (Microcasa) use the output wasn't too clumpy & the shots were tolerable but disappointing taste wise. When I shimmed it to grind fine enough to work with a pump machine the grounds coming out resembled dense little coffee turds that required quite a bit of WDT to make presentable. Even when I'd done the prep & was getting nice looking pours the resulting shots were close to undrinkable. The Breville would turn really good espresso blends & S/Os into what I considered undrinkable swill (IMO). Shimmed for pump espresso the Breville is extremely slow & labors as it really is under powered.

My advice is save up for a Preciso or better yet pick up one of the Pharos grinders from OE. For only $250 you get a grinder that uses the 68mm conical burr set found in commercial grinders selling for $1200-$2500. Of course you provide the power. Lots of info on the Pharos here:
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Posted May 28, 2011 link

Not what I wanted to hear but the advice is appreciated.

Do you have any experience with the Ascaso i-Mini or Gaggia MDF?  I know the Gaggia needs to be modded for best use in the espresso range, but the i-Mini does use commercial burs found on much more expensive grinders (and the coffee grind collection inside the unit seems to be a common problem).  This would be dedicated to espresso (for now anyway, but decent drip grinders can be had for cheap).

I guess the choices are now these....

Pharos
Preciso
i-Mini
MDF
JVBorella
JVBorella

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Sun May 29, 2011, 3:48pm

psychobrew Said:

Not what I wanted to hear but the advice is appreciated.

Do you have any experience with the Ascaso i-Mini or Gaggia MDF?

Posted May 29, 2011 link

Sorry, but I've never used either one. The pricing for the i-Mini 3 is close enough to the Preciso to make it a wash $$ wise. Here's a review OE did:
Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com)

I just noticed that Baratza is listing refurb Precisos for only $229: http://www.baratza.com/products.php?id=43

John
psychobrew

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun May 29, 2011, 4:04pm

JVBorella Said:

Sorry, but I've never used either one. The pricing for the i-Mini 3 is close enough to the Preciso to make it a wash $$ wise. Here's a review OE did:
Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com)

I just noticed that Baratza is listing refurb Precisos for only $229:  http://www.baratza.com/products.php?id=43

Posted May 29, 2011 link

Nice.  So basically, you think the Pharos will give me better results but the Precisio is decent and will be more convenient....

I was trying to wait to order until next month so I hope they still have those refurbished units.....

Thanks.  I really appreciate your advice.
JDolezal

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Breville BCG800XL
Posted Mon Nov 28, 2011, 9:24am

For those using the machine as a multipurpose (espresso, drip, press) grinder, have you found any problems switching between grind sizes? I find that when I switch to coarse grinds for a press from an espresso grind, I get a lot of fine grinds mixed in with the coarse - resulting in espresso grinds in my otherwise tasty french press coffee.

Do I need to completely disassemble the burrs & clean them every time I switch grind sizes to prevent this cross-size mixing?
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Mon Nov 28, 2011, 9:39am

JDolezal Said:

For those using the machine as a multipurpose (espresso, drip, press) grinder, have you found any problems switching between grind sizes? I find that when I switch to coarse grinds for a press from an espresso grind, I get a lot of fine grinds mixed in with the coarse - resulting in espresso grinds in my otherwise tasty french press coffee.

Do I need to completely disassemble the burrs & clean them every time I switch grind sizes to prevent this cross-size mixing?

Posted November 28, 2011 link

You have to turn the grind size dial when unit is in process of grinding.   You cannot turn it while unit is not grinding.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Mon Nov 28, 2011, 2:10pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

You have to turn the grind size dial when unit is in process of grinding.   You cannot turn it while unit is not grinding.

Len

JDolezal Said:

If you only switch grind sizes once in a while, you can simply do a quick clean of the machine. I tend to grind for V60 and Siphon and my grind is almost identical - minor tweaks here and there. If I am making a big switch from my drip grind to a french press grind, I simply remove the outer bur, take the grinder, and turn it upside down over a garbage can. I get most of the residual grinds out this way. Then I use the provided brush to loosen up any dust that has collected and do one more flip over. I've been doing this for about a year and it works very well.

As Len said, you need to turn the grind dial when the grinder is running.
Angman
Angman

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: K10 Fresh, HG One 83mm,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 10:16pm

I picked up the breville and really like the simplicity of it. Of course I have only used it for my V60 and Asropress so far. Grinds seem to be consistent and little retention. I haven't used it for espresso yet but I fear it won't do well and it is also underpowered. It's pretty good value though if you get one on sale. Aesthetically speaking its also nice and my wife can also use it whereas she doesn't even have a clue on how to use my Mazzer or Pharos.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Does anyone have...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.403923034668)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+