Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
French Press - it is great for Tam's Brewing Method
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > French Press -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Sat Aug 13, 2011, 12:31am
Subject: French Press - it is great for Tam's Brewing Method

I used to say a lot of times that the French Press is the greatest tool for filter coffee brewing because it is fully controlled by hand. How do you think of it?

A couple of years ago, I started a new way to manage it and found that it was really great if one can use it in my way.

The Tam's way of French Press is this,

1. Preheat the pot.
  2. put about XX grams of ground coffee in the pot
  3. evenly and steadily pour about XXX ml XX degrees hot water on the coffee
  4. put on the lid to keep the heat in the pot
  5. now smaller particles start to sink to the bottom as they absorb the water, but still a large part of the particles float on the surface, the bubbles around the them prevent the extraction process
  6. now gently and slowly swirl the pot, or use a wooden spoon in case the pot is full and will easily spill
  7. Do not time the extraction period! No matter it is 4min, 5min, or 6min, you won't know when the over-extraction starts until you taste your coffee--but it is already too late! And do you know how many cups of over-extraction or under-extraction coffee you have to make until you find the steeping time that suits? It's such a waste of time and coffee beans!
  8. The perfect moment for ending the steeping is when most of the particles start to fall from the surface.
  9. So, when you swirl your pot, watch sideways and when you find a large part of coffee particles start to fall you can start push the plunge down. A few larger particles will remain on the surface and smaller particles have already been sitting at the bottom for a little longer than we want. But that's what the press pot flavor is from. As long as most of the particles start to fall, the coffee is generally fully not overly extracted.
  10. The plunging process is surprisingly effortless, since there won't be much resistance left on the surface!

Some of the steps in this method originate from the Old West cowboy coffee brewing method, which I got independently by myself.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
bokolobs
bokolobs
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Krups GVX2
Drip: Hario v60 02, Melitta 3 hole
Posted Sat Aug 13, 2011, 1:12am
Subject: Re: French Press - it is great for Tam's Brewing Method

wow! that's very nice. i'll try it sometime.
 View Profile Link to this post
RaptorHornet
RaptorHornet

Espresso: Gaggia Pure
Grinder: Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Hario Siphon, Brikka
Drip: Kalita 1cup, Aeropress
Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011, 1:17am

The perfect moment for ending the steeping is when most of the particles start to fall from the surface.

Huh. That's an interesting concept. I don't use FPs but this one's still worth trying out since I do use an aeropress and also a steep-and-release method in my pour overs.

I wouldn't mind reading a more detailed explanation about this though since finer particles do, in fact, start falling faster than bigger particles so I'm very curious to know if this actually has some sort of relationship with extraction time.

Besides, if there's any way to simply eyeball the proper extraction time of my grind and actually get good results then I'm absolutely down with it.

Do what you love to do and give it your very best
pstam
pstam

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011, 2:25am

Let me try to explain.

The coffee particles are not even, but you have to watch only the most coffee grounds fall down to the bottom, and the crema-like (not real crema) disappears, the extraction can be finished by pressing the filter.

It does make good coffee by auto-timing for different grinding size, at least in a reasonable range of grinding.

You can try it by yourself.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
RaptorHornet
RaptorHornet

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011, 3:57am

Coincidentally, I wanted to test out just how big the "safe zone" can get when using a brew ratio that's somewhat within the standards given by the SCAA, SCAE, and NCA (i.e. 55-63g of coffee per 1 liter of water). So, outside of weighing my coffee and water and using a 500 micron average grind, I basically did the steeping time using only your suggestion. Results were pretty good and this has convinced me to save up for a digital scale first before getting a better burr grinder.

Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011, 5:01am
Subject: ...

RaptorHornet
RaptorHornet

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011, 5:20am

Haha. Thanks for the suggestion. The only ones available here cost about 30-35$.

Although, my aeropress costed about 47$ when I bought it from the store so I wouldn't be surprised if the scales I just mentioned could have easily costed around 19$ too if I were to buy them from the US.

pstam
pstam

Posted Mon Aug 15, 2011, 5:28am

I got one only for less than $10, in China.

This one is 100g max, and accuracy 0.01g.  It costs 45RMB, about $6+.

It is in Chinese,

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=1291143006

pstam: view_image.jpeg
(Click for larger image)

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
RaptorHornet
RaptorHornet

Posted Tue Aug 16, 2011, 7:51am

I finally got one for 13$. Well that was suprising. Funny how random mindless trips to the department store can turn out sometimes. Seriously, I was just looking for a plastic measuring cup when I accidentally saw one on display. Apparently, these things get sold out pretty fast which was why I could never find one for myself before. The more expensive scales I mentioned before are actually from a different store.

It can only display integers for grams though while ounces and pounds can go up to 2 and 3 decimals respectively. Whatever. I have one now and that's that.

pstam
pstam

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2012, 6:42am

This is the very easy way of brewing perfect drip coffee any where, at home, in the office, and on the way.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > French Press -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.28965306282)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+