Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
what's wrong with re-grinding, ground coffee?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > what's wrong...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
dagoat

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Wed Oct 12, 2011, 4:36pm
Subject: what's wrong with re-grinding, ground coffee?

i've always known NOT to put coffee that has already been ground into my burr grinders, and when it comes to espresso and my Baratza Vario, i have always followed that rule.  BUT...

I also have an aeropress, and a couple of old solis 166/Starbucks Barista grinders.  My wife has brought home several packages of Starbucks ground coffee that she gets in sheraton and other hotels, when she's on business trips.  i use these preground packets in my aeropress, (removing the coffee from the paper filter of course), when i have them available so as not to waste them.  also, most of the "good" coffee i roast for myself is blended especially for espresso, and is not the best for ordinary brewing.  

i've been finding the preground starbucks hotel coffee packages to be not ground quite fine enough for the way i use my aeropress, so i have been re-grinding them a little finer using one of my old solis 166 burr grinders, (never my vario).  what i want to know is, what exactly is wrong with regrinding?  is it hard on the grinder?  i'm sure it would never come out espresso quality, but who cares?  i don't use reground starbucks for espresso anyway.

so in summary, is the problem with regrinding that it is hard on equipment, or that it merely produces inferior quality?

-peter
 View Profile Link to this post
samuellaw178
samuellaw178

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: Rosco Mini
Drip: French Press, Aeropress,...
Roaster: DIY Copper drum roaster
Posted Wed Oct 12, 2011, 4:57pm
Subject: Re: what's wrong with re-grinding, ground coffee?

dagoat Said:

so in summary, is the problem with regrinding that it is hard on equipment, or that it merely produces inferior quality?

Posted October 12, 2011 link

I think it's the latter. Most of the time, preground coffee means stale coffee (packed preground). Most people here are looking for good coffee so obviously they wouldn't even have preground coffee to begin with to put into the grinder. Another reason, assuming coffee fines are not desired and are causing overextraction in coffee brewing - each time you put coffee into the grinder, fines are inevitably produced. Inferior product as a result. That's the two main reason I supposed, with the first being a bigger influence. By putting preground coffee into the grinder, other than risking it being fouled with stale coffee, I don't think it does any harm to the grinder. =P Logically, grinding preground coffee requires less torque and thus will mostly have less load on the motor. There should be no harm to the grinder, not anymore than running the motor empty.
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Wed Oct 12, 2011, 5:02pm

My vote's actually to the former. Grinders are designed so the big bits go in the top, and the small bits come out the bottom, in simple terms. When you add grinds to the hopper, you're increasing the chances they make their way into the internals, including the motor. While there may be some grind quality detriment, I'd never re-grind simply because I don't want to risk introducing an abrasive into  moving parts. Some manufacturers may try to seal things up a bit better, but I'd guess the lower end grinders don't tend to include spiffy seals and things.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dagoat

Posted Wed Oct 12, 2011, 5:45pm

espresso is my main gig, and i would never, ever ever ever use anything but fresh coffee i roasted and ground myself for espresso.  BUT i find aeropress MUCH more forgiving than espresso.  enough so, that i use it as a "dumping ground" for coffee that i acquire here and there that does not meet the espresso standards i hold.

-peter
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Oct 12, 2011, 6:56pm

SteveRhinehart Said:

My vote's actually to the former. Grinders are designed so the big bits go in the top, and the small bits come out the bottom, in simple terms. When you add grinds to the hopper, you're increasing the chances they make their way into the internals, including the motor. While there may be some grind quality detriment, I'd never re-grind simply because I don't want to risk introducing an abrasive into  moving parts. Some manufacturers may try to seal things up a bit better, but I'd guess the lower end grinders don't tend to include spiffy seals and things.

Posted October 12, 2011 link

+1

However if you must regrind I'd do it in a Zassenhaus or other similiar hand grinder.  No motor or other related internals to be concerned with.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Thu Oct 13, 2011, 5:07am

If it works for you it's not a problem.

It can though clog the grinder in some circumstances.
dagoat

Posted Thu Oct 13, 2011, 9:05am

al_bongo Said:

If it works for you it's not a problem.

It can though clog the grinder in some circumstances.

Posted October 13, 2011 link

i have found this to be true, though it's been not bad enough to bother me.  just a little more frequent cleaning.  thanks guys.

-peter
samuellaw178
samuellaw178

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: Rosco Mini
Drip: French Press, Aeropress,...
Roaster: DIY Copper drum roaster
Posted Thu Oct 13, 2011, 9:48am

This situation probably differs for different grinders I guess. I have never have a clogged grinder with Mazzer. But with Vario, I did have to take the burr carrier out for a cleaning a few times if I went too fine. And that's with whole bean. My beans were light-medium roast. If you're regrinding but did not go too fine, I suppose the grinder should not be clogged as the ground is probably drier after being exposed to the air.

Also, about the comment for fines getting into motor. I find that with Vario it's probably a problem even with just grinding whole beans. So it should be a routine to clean them every once a while. Grinding preground coffee might cause slightly more harm but not that much more I think.
thisisfranciswu
thisisfranciswu
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Bialetti Brikka
Grinder: Hacked Black & Decker...
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 7:53am

I'm a newb using a Black & Decker burr mill that I hacked to produce a finer grind.

I know it's far from ideal :).

But in an attempt to produce a more consistent grind this morning, I decided to regrind.  These are freshly-roasted beans that I just ground, and then re-ground.  The result is a more consistently fine grind that produced a decent-tasting espresso.

Aside from clogging up a crappy $30 mill, I don't really see any drawbacks to this yet.  Anybody have further thoughts on this?

--
Francis
dagoat

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 9:40am

so far, i have only reground using my cheap conical burr mills, (i have three of them), and not with my nice expensive vario.  the cheap conicals are super easy to clean, so even the tendency to clog up is not a bother.

-peter
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > what's wrong...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.323615074158)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+