Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
what's wrong with re-grinding, ground coffee?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > what's wrong...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 9:49am
Subject: Re: what's wrong with re-grinding, ground coffee?

Regrinding coffee can put a heavier load on the grinder's motor because the grounds will pack into the burrs more tightly.
But when regrinding there is a lot more going on than just changing the particle size by readjusting the grinder. Regrinding will create a greater amount of fines ("dust") and change the particle-size distribution. Espresso extraction depends on a mix of particle sizes. Think in terms of baseballs, table tennis balls, and marbles all mixed together. If regrinding improves performance and product, then there is some other problem going on that should be addressed.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dagoat

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 12:22pm

for the record, i don't regrind for espresso.  i regrind cheap hotel room coffee, (sometimes it's starbucks), for either aeropress or for my reusable k-cups.  and again, i never use my good grinder for regrinding.

probably one in every twenty of my coffee drinks are something other than espresso.

-peter
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 3:43pm

dagoat Said:

i regrind cheap hotel room coffee, (sometimes it's starbucks)

Posted September 25, 2012 link

I'm surprised you find it drinkable, whether it's reground or not.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 4:11pm

dagoat Said:

for the record, i don't regrind for espresso.  i regrind cheap hotel room coffee, (sometimes it's starbucks)

cheap
- preground
- - hotel packaged
- - - Starbucks coffee
- - - - re-ground
- - - - - then brewed in an Aeropress for that full-immersion flavor

If "coffee is the song that fills the cup of silence"
  then the above list is the beverage equivalent of "We Built This City", by Starship (1985)
  [Ranked #1 worst song ever in "Run for Your Life! It's the 50 Worst Songs Ever!" list in Blender Magazine, and part of "The 10 Worst Songs of the 1980s", Rolling Stone]

Why punish ones palate in that way...  Sometimes even free is not a good deal!

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dagoat

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 4:59pm

emradguy Said:

I'm surprised you find it drinkable, whether it's reground or not.

when you can control all the variables like you can with an aeropress, it becomes as good or better than you can find anywhere else out on the streets, except for the places that really understand good coffee.  and when i find a place like that, i drink espresso instead of wasting my time with brewed coffee.  

put another way:  when i'm at intelligentsia, i don't waste my time with drip, (even their good pourovers).  i get espresso.

for 99% of the other places, including some so-called-good restaurants, i can tweak cheap coffee with my aeropress and get at least as good or better result.

agreed on, "we built this city".  in '85 i was in college, surfing, skating half pipes and listening to the jesus and mary chain, GBH, Husker Du.  about as mainstream as i got in that era was the ramones, and they were almost too mainstream for me.  i still haven't changed much in my embrace of the mainstream.

-peter
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 5:13pm

yeah, I have an Aeropress too, but I buy really good whole beans for travel.  I also take along my Lido hand grinder when I travel.  But, hey...everyone's different.  I'm glad it makes you happy.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
dagoat

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2012, 5:30pm

as i said, espresso is my game.  i don't cut corners when it comes to espresso.  drip (including aeropress), is just a distracting plaything for me.

most of my beans, (that i roast myself), are a little on the light roasted side for good drip, and are pretty narrowly focused on contemporary third-wave espresso flavors.  they don't make good drip.  that's why i don't have a lido, even though i travel for a living.  and i don't travel with my aeropress, because most hotel drip-grind beans are ground too coarse even for aeropress.  so i'm between a rock and a hard place when i travel--which unfortunately, is often.  and when i'm home, i'm pretty much all espresso all the time.  main reason i got an aeropress is i like neat coffee gear.  i don't actually use it that often.  but it IS good for honing your skills on the basics that affect flavor, (grind, temp, time, etc...)  It's a great learning tool.  so every so often, if i have some cheap hotel coffee lying around, i break it out and start an iterative process of optimizing time temp grind--blah blah blah.  it's a fun game to find the best a cheap coffee can be.  and i guarantee you, you can bollocks-up a good coffee and make it taste worse--ask me how i know?

-peter
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > what's wrong...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.286018848419)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+