Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Confessions of a Brikka Lover
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Confessions of a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 154 of 165 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Enkerli
Enkerli
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Thu Aug 18, 2011, 4:31am
Subject: Re: Confessions of a Brikka Lover

RaptorHornet Said:

It's possible that doing the standard method (i.e. put cold water, assemble, then brew) might actually give a better cup.

Posted August 18, 2011 link

Interesting. Canít say I noticed a decrease in quality when using the Hoffmann method. Basically, quality differences tend to be hard to perceive in a moka pot, in my case. Maybe Iím too used to it to notice but, unless thereís a burnt flavour or some such, I get consistent quality (with the same beans).
Still itís nice to think about other effects that method may have, apart from shortening brew time.

For what itís worthÖ I tried spraying the inside of the top part of my 6 cup Moka Express, just before coffee started flowing. One thing which surprised me is that the water didnít evaporate. Given the size of droplets and the direct contact with the allegedly very hot bottom surface of that receptacle, I would have expected the water to turn to steam right away. While itís much lower temperature than beans coming out of a roaster, I expected a similar effect. What I saw instead was a little puddle at the bottom of the receptacle. If I had sprayed a lot more, it would have been an Americano effect! Ok, thatís an exaggeration. What I mean is that spraying there didnít bring much support to the idea that the moka pot gets so hot that it burns the coffee. This batch flowed rather slowly and was as unburnt as usual. The heat level was around 6Ĺ on a Whirlpool ceramic top (ďHiĒ is 9). In my case, when the heat level is either too high or too low as when the grind or the quantity of grounds arenít appropriate, I may occasionally get burnt coffee. My guess is that it has to do with the physics of getting enough pressure in the boiling chamber to push non-boiling water through the grounds all the way up the chimney. Iíd say that increasing the density of the grounds too much or changing the rate of the pressure buildup in the boiler can have detrimental effects. In the Brikka, the size and shape of the boiler may allow for an increase in the pressure buildup so that liquid can push up the ďtop hatĒ and push coffee through these tiny holes to create the emulsion. So that itís even more sensitive to heat level, in some way.
But my understanding of physics is very limited and this may be way off. Iím basing these ideas about the process on what Iíve noticed while brewing with these devices.

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
RaptorHornet
RaptorHornet

Espresso: Gaggia Pure
Grinder: Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Hario Siphon, Brikka
Drip: Kalita 1cup, Aeropress
Posted Thu Aug 18, 2011, 6:05am

Interesting observation. I like to try out a lot of things so I tend to experience way more clogs than an average person and yes, I did notice that clogging up the pot tends to produce boiling coffee. It could be that excess pressure build up is possibly heating up the pot even faster. Just to add to that though, I'm thinking that it may also be possible that the coffee was extracting so slowly that it already got to boiling point before even reaching the top container.

Do you have a 2-cup to test on? Possibly your brikka? It might be possible that bigger pots simply heat up slower than smaller models so they're less likely to burn up. When I start from cold with my 4-cup and I don't cool down the top container beforehand, I would sometimes see tiny bubbles form up from the couple of droplets I leave on there. Boiling coffee isn't really so much of a problem but it does occasionally get borderline enough that I need to atleast take notice of it and add just 1 or 2 extra steps to the process to deal with it. For me, a few minutes of fridge water cooldown for the top container before assembly is usually effective enough even without using the pre-boiling methods.

Do what you love to do and give it your very best
 View Profile Link to this post
Enkerli
Enkerli

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Thu Aug 18, 2011, 8:55am

RaptorHornet Said:

I did notice that clogging up the pot tends to produce boiling coffee.

Noticed the same thing. Itís all the same effect, it sounds like. Anything where you need higher pressure. The temperature of the top chamber matters less, in this case. Itís really about the water which goes through the grounds. Thereís a possibility that requiring more pressure also implies higher water temperature.

Doing a couple of searches, what Iím finding about the physics of moka pot brewing is based on either opinion or inconclusive evidence. Sounds like ďthe jury is still outĒ as to the temperature of water going through grounds in a moka pot. My own opinion is that there are conditions under which this temperature may be too high but that itís possible to avoid those conditions.

RaptorHornet Said:

Do you have a 2-cup to test on? Possibly your brikka? It might be possible that bigger pots simply heat up slower than smaller models so they're less likely to burn up.

Thatís a friendís hypothesis but I wouldnít say itís that clear-cut. I think the Brikka is more sensitive to problems associated with the heat level. Part of it might have to do with size (my friend uses a non-Brikka). But there might be something about the pressure needed. I saw something about the pressure being needed after the water goes through the grounds but Iíd imagine that it works like a tube at this point and the pressure is needed from bottom to top. Or something.

RaptorHornet Said:

a few minutes of fridge water cooldown for the top container before assembly is usually effective enough even without using the pre-boiling methods.

Oh, thatís interesting! Another thing I might try. It doesnít make assembly more difficult?

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
RaptorHornet
RaptorHornet

Espresso: Gaggia Pure
Grinder: Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Hario Siphon, Brikka
Drip: Kalita 1cup, Aeropress
Posted Fri Aug 19, 2011, 3:48am

I think the Brikka is more sensitive to problems associated with the heat level. Part of it might have to do with size (my friend uses a non-Brikka).

Yeah. That's what I was talking about. I'm thinking that since bigger pots like the 6-cup have more metal in them that can take in heat, it might be possible that overheating is a way less problem for them than on something like a 2-cup model.

Oh, thatís interesting! Another thing I might try. It doesnít make assembly more difficult?

Absolutely not. It just feels a bit gnarly the first time you do it because of the really cold metal. Don't forget to discard the cold water before doing the assembly though or you might accidentally spill it somewhere else (I know I did once lol).

Just to update on the sieving grounds discussion:

The finest mesh I could buy still had holes that are sized at about .8mm. However, I noticed that when sieving, the grounds fall through in a segregated fashion with dust getting removed first. Because of this, I eventually reached a point where only particles that had 'drip grind' sizes (.5mm-.8mm) were falling through.

In conclusion, it may not have worked the way I expected but I'm still pretty confident that this fine mesh will serve me well when I try doing drip-style brews again.

Do what you love to do and give it your very best
ybl8te
ybl8te
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Aug 22, 2011, 11:26am

Hi all, first time user and first post...

am going to buy either the moka pot or brikka - two people will be using this for size, and if we measure our normal cups they are about 400mls of liquid we normally drink including milk (instant moccona)

I like coffee strong, when at tech I normally drink short blacks, SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) likes a coffee but weaker and if I make it stronger, more sugar goes in!

At home its instant moccona range with 2-2.5 teaspoons in a cup with a little milk and 3/4 teaspoon of sugar......

I have been reading this very long thread, interesting I must say.  Some people are very anal about how things should be done - a bit like myself when playing my vinyl records and valve amplifier and Tannoy speakers I guess!!  Any way I was thinking about the Brikka due to thinking it makes more crema.........but reading 154 pages - I am thinking maybe people enjoy the taste of the moka pot more......

Please help in helping me decide

cheers

Shane
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Aug 22, 2011, 12:21pm

Get Both?

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
ybl8te
ybl8te

Posted Mon Aug 22, 2011, 1:33pm

yeah - but being a poor student ATM - would only like to acquire one for now
bluto
bluto

Espresso: moka, Brikka
Grinder: Bodum Antigua
Vac Pot: Yama, Infuze, Silex
Drip: manual cone, presspot
Roaster: local
Posted Mon Aug 22, 2011, 1:44pm

Welcome to coffeegeeks.

ybl8te Said:

yeah - but being a poor student ATM - would only like to acquire one for now

Posted August 22, 2011 link

In that case, buy a cheap moka pot (or better yet, borrow one).
See if you like the coffee it makes and proceed accordingly.
ybl8te
ybl8te

Posted Mon Aug 22, 2011, 1:49pm

thank you.......

Yeah problem two.........in my country - I have never ever seen one - I have ask on a few of my audiophile sites and no one has seen or heard of them.

Plus combined that I live in a small town in the middle of know where on the west coast of the north island in nz..........I would have better luck finding snow in hell  !!
ybl8te
ybl8te

Posted Mon Aug 22, 2011, 1:53pm

http://www.kitchenshop.co.nz/webapps/p/73735/115924/356459

http://www.kitchenshop.co.nz/webapps/p/73735/115924/363919

here are the two prices for the two models in NZ
showing page 154 of 165 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Confessions of a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.412782907486)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+