Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Cleaning Bialetti moka coffee maker
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cleaning...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011, 5:43am
Subject: Re: Cleaning Bialetti moka coffee maker

jpender Said:

I'm not sure the analogy is apt, but perhaps you are right that keeping a thin layer of rancid oily gunk on a moka pot is desirable.

Posted November 21, 2011 link

And that's the thing: it's never been rancid. Like I said, I've never noticed any off flavors, and I like to think I have a pretty decent palate. I've had my moka pot shelved for at least 4 months now, and I just now went to smell it. It smells like metal, not like coffee or spoiled oil in any way. And yet the finish is still fairly shiny on the inside. Really though, this is just a big ol' FWIW, as what works for you apparently works just fine!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011, 10:05am

SteveRhinehart Said:

And that's the thing: it's never been rancid. Like I said, I've never noticed any off flavors, and I like to think I have a pretty decent palate. I've had my moka pot shelved for at least 4 months now, and I just now went to smell it. It smells like metal, not like coffee or spoiled oil in any way. And yet the finish is still fairly shiny on the inside. Really though, this is just a big ol' FWIW, as what works for you apparently works just fine!

Posted November 22, 2011 link

Steve is spot on.  My moka pots have never been rancid; I keep the pot apart and let air dry after each use and keep it apart.  Anything in there just dries hard.  No rancid issues ever develop.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011, 10:21am

If it tastes good to you then all is well I suppose. I used to think my dirty moka pot coffee tasted good too.

What is it about a moka pot that makes it unnecessary to clean it? Is this true of other brewing equipment? What about a coffee cup? Can I just leave it stained brown provided I give it a quick rinse and let it air dry? Yes, I am being flippant but I'm also curious.
 View Profile Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Nov 22, 2011, 10:55am

Hello, Jpender - I suspect this urban myth comes about originally because many of these pots are aluminium, and if you wash them clean, rinse them thoroughly, but then don't let them dry completely before reassembling them, you'll get that nasty looking corrosion inside.  Perhaps a coating of coffee oil stops that, but I still empty mine fairly quickly after being used, and then wash and dry them thoroughly. They are perfectly fine.

To answer you other question - yes, you really do need to wash your coffee cups and mugs thoroughly, otherwise their capacity starts to go down ;o)
Miles_R
Miles_R
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jan 3, 2012, 4:08pm

I just want to report, a couple of months after starting this thread, that I have been cleaning my Bialetti pot by rinsing alone,  without soap, and it seems to work well enough. No nasty smells or tastes. Whether it would be any worse if I washed it out with soap after every use I don't know.
toomuchkawfeeman

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Uno
Grinder: Ascaso iSteel I1
Posted Tue Jan 10, 2012, 11:44pm

I' m new around here but have been using Bialetti moka pots for about a decade.  I use the Brikka now and it makes a fabulous coffee.   You dont want to wash the aluminum pots with soap unless you have to.  a rinse under running water and being allowed to airdry fully is enough.   Every 6 months or so i use white vinegar to clean the inside of the pot where the collect collects when the residue builds up too much, it comes clean this way after soaking for an hour or two.    

One thing I always do is when I pour out the coffee I rinse the top section with water.  I leave water in it and enjoy my coffee.  When i'm done 20 minutes later or so I unscrew and clean the pot.  

Properly taken care of these pots will give you years of use.  I only have to replace my gasket about once a year.

cheers.
dunaii
dunaii

Espresso: Gaggia Baby
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: -
Drip: -
Roaster: -
Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012, 4:17am

I've used moka pots (Bialetti mostly) for many years.They are supposed to be rinsed after use, but never cleaned. I've used mokas in friends houses that have not been washed with detergent for decades, and they were supposed to make a better coffee, as per well known urban legends. Amazingly, this turned out to be true in my experience, obtaining a much better cream hint as opposed to the deep black coffee I can extract with my new-ish pots. More round and sweet taste also. In my experience,  properly rinsed, remaining 'oils' will not became rancid, but the external of the pot can be ghastly blackened by some stoves after _much_ use.
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012, 12:29pm

I've started putting my (SS) moka pot in the dishwasher, something I had previously been nervous about doing. This works well and produces a nice gleaming pot with no off-flavors. And since it is easier to do than washing by hand I now clean it much more frequently.

But if my pot was aluminum I might do things differently as that metal is more reactive. I'm sure this question has come up before but what are the advantages of aluminum as a material for a moka pot? Better heat conductance? Cheaper? More available?
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012, 1:37pm

I have seen for so long that you should never wash a moka pot that it seems that it is considered truth. I have never seen a real reason as to why not to do it.

There have been times I put one of my aluminum pots away and there was still moisture in it and had mold grow, yes I washed it, after a brew or two it is back to normal. People talk about the build up of oils as being good, why do the oils on espresso machine go rancid in a short period of time and not on a moka pot? Ever had a shot of espresso from a machine that has not been cleaned in a long time? Yuck.

My aluminum pots oxidize but I do not worry to much about that and a good rinse after a brew will generally keep a pot in fine condition. Still the brew tube can get very nasty over time so I will take the gasket and screen out and use a brush to clean it. I would say the most harm from soap is that it will dry the gasket out much quicker and speed up replacement intervals.
Miles_R
Miles_R

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012, 3:19pm

I see that opinions continue to diverge. But while we are on the subject of Bialetti moka pots, I would like to ask people who have one that they use every day, how often do you replace the gasket? And how do you know when it needs to be replaced?
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cleaning...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.309565067291)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+