Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
leesill
leesill
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 Cup
Drip: Chemex, V60, Wave, KONE,...
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Mon Dec 19, 2011, 9:52am
Subject: Re: Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look

Hey, I work for Prima Coffee Equipment and I'm a little late on this thread, but I did just want to verify that the Bonavita does run a consistent temperature throughout the entirety of the brewing process.  We tested a 30g batch, and the slurry temperature was a consistent 202 degrees the whole time, 2:45, which is what I was aiming for for the grind setting we chose.  We should have them available for pre-order this week, the stainless option at $149, and the glas at $129, I believe.  Hope that helps!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Jtavo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Maestro plus
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Mon Dec 19, 2011, 1:14pm

Too late for me as a Technivorm is on the UPS truck headed my way! I was getting sick of bad coffee and the Cuisinart that nearly burned down my house made me look for the best. (no hotplate this time to malfunction)

I would love to see the insides of the new machine and see how well it is made.
Maybe get a screwdriver and do a comparison next to a Technivorm?

This is my first post but I'll post more as the new machine and better coffee start brewing at my house.

John
 View Profile Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Dec 19, 2011, 2:30pm

leesill Said:

Hey, I work for Prima Coffee Equipment and I'm a little late on this thread, but I did just want to verify that the Bonavita does run a consistent temperature throughout the entirety of the brewing process.  We tested a 30g batch, and the slurry temperature was a consistent 202 degrees the whole time, 2:45, which is what I was aiming for for the grind setting we chose.  We should have them available for pre-order this week, the stainless option at $149, and the glas at $129, I believe.  Hope that helps!

Posted December 19, 2011 link

I have been using 60g and one liter of cool water to start. How much water do you use for a 30g batch and how do you like the results for this smaller brewing size?

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?

Espresso: Awaiting spare parts ;o(
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Dec 20, 2011, 5:33am

Jtavo Said:

Too late for me as a Technivorm is on the UPS truck headed my way! I was getting sick of bad coffee and the Cuisinart that nearly burned down my house made me look for the best. (no hotplate this time to malfunction)

I would love to see the insides of the new machine and see how well it is made.
Maybe get a screwdriver and do a comparison next to a Technivorm?

This is my first post but I'll post more as the new machine and better coffee start brewing at my house.

John

You need a "TA" type triangular bit to unscrew the plastic base of the Bonavita/Melitta (at least, you do on mine which is the thermal carafe version) Don't know whether there are then any plastic clips to be disengaged or not.  Generally I take this sort of construction as an indication that the manufacturer doesn't really intend it to be opened easily and/or part of optimising construction for a mass production process. Have never removed the base, so can't comment on the quality of internal construction or the components used.

The Technivorm will generally have conventional cross head screws through a bottom panel screwed  into the main metal base, and is easy to access and work on.  The exact design varies a bit from model to model. It's the sort of assembly you'd probably expect on a more hand assembled unit. You'll find the internal build quality and component quality is of a high standard for a domestic device.
leesill
leesill
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 Cup
Drip: Chemex, V60, Wave, KONE,...
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Tue Dec 20, 2011, 10:52am

EricBNC Said:

I have been using 60g and one liter of cool water to start. How much water do you use for a 30g batch and how do you like the results for this smaller brewing size?

I usually start with a 60g/Liter ratio, or 6g/100mL.  So, for 30g, we used 500mL.  We like the results that we received.  We even brewed V60's and Chemexes side by side with the same ratios (and water temperature) for comparison, and the Bonavita brews held up well.  The drip rate is the same, so you need to grind a bit finer to account, and we were ending up with 2:40-2:45 minute brews (the last drip from the filter) which worked great.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CorvusCoffee
CorvusCoffee
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Tue Dec 20, 2011, 2:18pm

Also want to point out that Bonavita also makes an electric gooseneck kettle.... You can manually brew with that!

I know that's a little off topic, but had to throw it in the ring.
Best,
Phil
yomer

Posted Tue Dec 20, 2011, 4:10pm

If I may interrupt here. I'm currently looking for a machine that can produce the best tasting coffee on my budget. The Bonavita BV1800 seems to be the one, since the Bunn although good have had many problems with their quality; and the Moccamaster are out of my league.

My question is, how good of an investment would it be to buy the BV1800TH instead of the original one? Will I always need to preheat the thermal carafe?

Eric, you mentioned that the coffee brewed out of the Bonavita and the Moccamaster are virtually identical, right? Is there any reason anyone would go for the Moccamaster instead of the half priced Bonavita?

Just curious, do you have anything good to say about the Bunn Phase brewers after all the quality issues?

***Edit: I've almost decided to order the Bonavita, I just have to make the choice of glass vs thermal carafe... :S
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed Dec 21, 2011, 12:14am

yomer Said:

Eric, you mentioned that the coffee brewed out of the Bonavita and the Moccamaster are virtually identical, right? Is there any reason anyone would go for the Moccamaster instead of the half priced Bonavita?

Just curious, do you have anything good to say about the Bunn Phase brewers after all the quality issues?

***Edit: I've almost decided to order the Bonavita, I just have to make the choice of glass vs thermal carafe... :S

Posted December 20, 2011 link

I think the coffee is what matters the most but I can't look at the TV and honestly say it is built twice as strong as the Bonavita much less any stronger - I picked up the brew bodies (no carafe) and expected the TV to feel heavier based on the price really - the weight difference sans carafe, like the taste, was no different, at least none I could tell.  These have such a loyal following (search Melitta Aroma on Amazon.de) where people bought one forever ago - the eighties and nineties - and need another and won't settle for less.  TV likely has a lot of love too but for the money I can't see the added value over the Bonavita.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
yomer

Posted Wed Dec 21, 2011, 6:52am

Thanks for the advice. I preordered the BV1800TH and I know I won't be disappointed. The only downside is that I have to wait until January to get it delivered.

I had to choose the thermal because my wife and I never coincide on our coffee drinking time, so better to keep it at good temperature with the thermal than have it roastig with the hot plate for either of us.

I'll be following the thread to see if I can scrape any usage tips from You or any other user.

Espresso: Awaiting spare parts ;o(
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Dec 21, 2011, 4:38pm

yomer Said:

My question is, how good of an investment would it be to buy the BV1800TH instead of the original one? Will I always need to preheat the thermal carafe?

Posted December 20, 2011 link

As you will discover when it arrives, the thermal carafe is actually a glass vacuum flask inside a stainless steel outer shell.  In my experience, glass flasks tend to absorb less of the initial heat than stainless steel ones.  I don't bother warming the flask, although it wouldn't do any harm. In my case the coffee doesn't stay in it for very long anyway.  Even in a vacuum flask, keeping brewed coffee for more than about half an hour or so isn't a good idea, at least not to my taste buds.
showing page 2 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.355926990509)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+