Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita bv1800th (thermal carafe)
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
cbf123

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012, 10:52am
Subject: Bonavita bv1800th (thermal carafe)

This will be just a really quick overview, but I thought I'd put something out there for people on the fence.  I've had my bv1800th for roughly a week now and I'm quite pleased with it.  My previous autodrip machine was a Hamilton Beach stay-n-go (or something like that).  The shower head was starting to delaminate and bubble, hence the need for a replacement.

I was looking at the Technivorm but didn't like the design of the carafe--was seriously considering the smaller carafe because it had an actual spout.  I heard about the Bonavita last fall, and have been eagerly awaiting it ever since.  I preordered late December and got a discount and free shipping.

Compared to the old machine, the Bonavita produces hotter coffee and although I didn't do a side-by-side comparison I think the result is more flavourful given the same beans.  The carafe pours cleanly though not particularly quickly with the lid on.  With the lid off if you try and pour too quickly it will spash over the edges and run down the carafe onto the counter--ran into that issue while filling the reservoir.

The one downside is that it takes up a bit more space since you need to either find a place to put the filter basket after brewing or else put the filter basket on the base and keep the full pot elsewhere.  Minor detail though.

Overall I'm quite pleased.
 View Profile Link to this post
artdrectr

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012, 10:19am
Subject: Re: Bonavita bv1800th (thermal carafe)

cbf123:
Thanks for the quick review.
Mine is arriving today...how did you prepare the machine before first brew?
(i.e., did you run anything thru it? water, vinegar, etc)
cbf123

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012, 3:53pm

I just followed the instructions and ran a couple of cycles of water through it, giving it time to cool down between each.
tcassidy

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jul 4, 2012, 8:51pm

I had to replace my beloved Philips 7612 (colour - Aubergine) after 12 and a half years of continuous use when both the heating elements failed Saturday. I ordered the Bonavita and it arrived today. It is an easy coffee maker to use and the carafe is a similar size to the Philips. I think the all stainless steel Philips carafe was a little more efficient after several hours. Also the Bonavita makes it difficult to prepare a fresh pot of coffee when there is still coffee in the carafe as the Melitta filter unit sits on the carafe. This is important particularly on the weekends when I have friends over who drink coffee all evening. I think I need a second carafe or maybe I should use the Philips one to hold the prepared coffee. Regardless, this is an excellent unit and appears to be well constructed. Coffee taste is similar to the Philips but I only use inexpensive brands anyway. The amount of coffee I drink does not lend itself to fancy blends.

Terry
artdrectr

Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 10:55am

Here's my take...

- Sure, use the Philips carafe for leftover coffee.
But why keep the old stale coffee when you can make a new, fresh batch in 5 minutes?

- The Bonavita brew method is quite different than the Philips (or nearly any department store coffee maker for that matter). Most inexpensive machines won't be able to quickly reach the temperature needed for best flavor extraction. It may not have the bells & whistles, it simply does one thing really well.

- Flavor is not really about fancy blends. The flavor of the coffee will be noticeably better if you use fresh ground coffee from freshly roasted beans. Using inexpensive canned coffee that has been on the store shelf will have less taste in any machine you use. I gently urge you to at least once go buy fresh ground coffee (if you don't have a grinder) from a local coffee bean retailer and see if you can taste the difference. I'll bet your pals will notice right away!
sfotex

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 6:28pm

What's the best way people have found  to clean the lid on the carafe? It seems to hold quite a bit of coffee in it, I've just been rinsing it when I hand wash the caraffe, but the anal engineer in me knows it's stil trapping icky oils in there...
artdrectr

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 7:10pm

The filter basket?
Once in awhile I toss it in the top rack of the dishwasher, comes out sparkly clean.
artdrectr

Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 7:28pm

Oh sorry, I forgot the black plastic lid, I hardly ever use it.

The manual says that the carafe, lid and filter basket are dishwasher safe.

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 3:17am

artdrectr Said:

Posted July 6, 2012 link

No No No - please don't put the thermal carafe in there !

Agree with earlier poster - the lid is tricky if not impossible to clean out manually, like most pour through lids I've encountered.  It's all plastic though, so should be d/washer safe, but not sure how effective that will be at cleaning it.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sat Jul 7, 2012, 9:38am

artdrectr Said:

Posted July 6, 2012 link

The instructions I am looking at say exactly the opposite regarding placing the thermal carafe in the dishwasher - it clearly instructs the user to not do this!

CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE

Filter basket can be cleaned in a dishwasher
Do not use wire-brushes or bottle-brushes.
In case of tenacious dirts (lime, coee residues) clean  inner thermal carafe  with
  weakened vinegar or lemon.

Additional  instructions for thermal carafe:

Do not clean the thermal carafe in a dishwasher or immerse it completely in water.
Use a soft damp cloth and mild dish cleaning liquid for cleaning the housing and the
  thermal carafe.

The Manual:

BV1800TH Manual

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.261920213699)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+