Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Hario Woodneck
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Hario Woodneck  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Wed Jan 11, 2012, 10:58am
Subject: Re: Hario Woodneck

I have only had my Preciso for a few weeks so there is still a lot I am not sure of yet. What I do know is that I love this grinder. Four pour over and press, this grinder is a monster. In addition, it's really nice that it is also a qualified espresso grinder. A real affordable workhorse. I keep my micro dial at G and stick to the macro, as I am not sure whether or not the micro scale will have a big enough effect on grind range. I am curious about it and will experiment more in the future.

I aim for a low mound with a relatively shallow depth. I look for a nice flat bottom, as that tells me that the water flow was even. I use a very slow pour in circles spiraling out from the center and stopping short of the sides. The even conical grounds bed is a result of a faster and higher pour method. The method I use works very well for me and I find that my drawdown time is almost always perfect (20 secs for 8oz and 30-35 secs on 13oz)
 View Profile Link to this post
Marc_T

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini; Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: Cory 8 cup
Drip: Technivorm; Vintage Chemex;...
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Sun Jan 15, 2012, 4:41pm

Sam21 Said:

The woodneck is an incredible brewing device and has provided me with some of the best cups I have ever had. I brewed a Kenyan from Terroir in it that blew me away. Enjoy!

Posted January 8, 2012 link

I agree. I was just going to start keeping track of my variables in a spreadsheet (coffee weight, water weight, grinder settings, pour method etc., tasting notes). If anyone is interested, it could be a good group effort, like through DropBox or GoogleDocs. If there are any takers, I can start a spreadsheet.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Sun Jan 15, 2012, 5:16pm

Marc_T Said:

I agree. I was just going to start keeping track of my variables in a spreadsheet (coffee weight, water weight, grinder settings, pour method etc., tasting notes). If anyone is interested, it could be a good group effort, like through DropBox or GoogleDocs. If there are any takers, I can start a spreadsheet.

Posted January 15, 2012 link

I'd be interested. I log notes on my brew variables when I have time. It helps me fine tune things from cup to cup, although on many occasions, I only log notes when starting a new coffee and getting it going. I always start each coffee in a similar starting position and make a few adjustments from there. I think it'd be a cool resource to have brewing notes available to share.
Marc_T

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2012, 5:54pm

Great.  Ill try GoogleDocs 1st.

Update:
Here is a rough spreadsheet

Here is the URL, which is not posting correctly .... no space after "="

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key= 0AiaWcIr6z72adHAyOEEyZl82LXVtSXJfdzF5aUtrTWc
Marc_T

Posted Tue Jan 17, 2012, 4:20am

Anyone have a coffee refractometer?  I feel like this is where I am headed. I downloaded the Extract Mojo To Go App and really like it, but realize the %TDS is just an estimate as the same coffee to water ratio can result in different Extraction % depending on the %TDS.

That being said, I brewed 24g of coffee with 430 ml of H20 this AM and is was pretty good. If %TDS were 1.3, Extraction% is 20.96. Anyone know of a way to get an affordable refractometer for an enthusiast?

UPDATE: After some reading, it seems a Brix meter might be worth investigating some more. Anyone using one?
iHaveFeet

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mypressi Twist
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Not yet
Drip: Hario Woodneck, Chemex/Coava...
Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012, 12:10pm

Marc, your spreadsheet is very interesting. :)

I think I'd have a lot of fun with a TDS/Brix meter. However, it's not enough of a priority for me to justify spending a significant amount of money.

Lately, though, I've wondered if something like this would work?

Click Here (www.ebay.ca)

I'll bet I could find a home brewing shop around town that sells these things.

Brendan
Marc_T

Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012, 1:27pm

Thanks!

BTW, the %TDS in the spreadsheet is just what i have set in the Mojo To Go App. Therefore, the % extracted is not accurate either

I wonder if that Brix meter would work....i know if you multiply Brix*.85, you get a %TDS equivalent....fine for my needs.

Does anyone reading this use a sub $50 Brix meter for home brewing?  If so, can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Marc
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012, 8:55pm

Re: inexpensive eBay Brix meters, see this coffeed thread and the links it contains (including this one) for more info. (if you haven't already). Sounds promising! My inner geeky cheapo is intrigued.
Angman
Angman
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: K10 Fresh, HG One 83mm,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Sat Sep 22, 2012, 7:43am

I picked up Sam's woodneck when he was clearing out his kitchen.  I have always made espresso based drinks.  I didn't have a proper kettle yet so i used a small soy sauce/creamer container that i had around the house.  The container was small and i had to refill it 3 times in order to hit the 3 cup mark on the Hario.  I also had no idea on what grind settings to use for a pour over. I just made a guess and set my Vario to a random setting.  I used 24 grams of some fresh but not perfectly roasted coffee that i had lying around. It was a very light roast that i stopped too early prior to second crack.  As my wife watched me curiously I ended up with what looked like a very clean 2 cups of coffee.  It tasted amazing! With my espresso based drinks and so many new variables there would have been no way I could have made a decent enough shot that i could drink without milk and sugar. This was black gold on my first attempt.  Thank you Sam in introducing me to such a fabulous cup.  I am sorry for your loss though.  

One question.  I have an assortment of high end grinders all meant for my espresso drinks.  These are all in my coffee bar in my man cave  Can i get away with a lesser grinder for a pour over? I would prefer to have a simpler/smaller and perhaps cheaper grinder in my kitchen to use with the Woodneck. I prefer not to run up and down just to grind some beans and i also don't want to change my settings too much (although its easy with the Vario).  I already have an old Kitchenaid (A9?) sitting in the kitchen. I haven't used this for years but my wife and i like it because of the aesthetics.  Should  i not even bother trying to use the Kitchenaid?
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Sep 22, 2012, 9:05am

One reason to use very hot water on your refrigerator stored cloth filter ids to heat it up!
Otherwise, you have 200f water cooled down by a 40f fridged filter. Not good.
I just use very hot water, thoroughly rinse the filter till it shows no0 grind, and into a glass gar with pure water it goes.
Every 5th time, I clean in oxiclean and hot water for 30 minutes.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Hario Woodneck  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.284857034683)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+