Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Solis 166 refurbish/upgrade?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Solis 166...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Feb 7, 2012, 2:05pm
Subject: Solis 166 refurbish/upgrade?

I have a buddy who is giving me his old Starbuck's Barista burr grinder (which I've come to understand is identical to the Solis 166).  I'm planning on using it exclusively for press pot. I figure since it's so old, the burrs probably need to be replaced.  Does anyone know if they're upgradable?  I have an email in to Baratza too, waiting for to see what they have to say.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Feb 7, 2012, 3:27pm
Subject: Re: Solis 166 refurbish/upgrade?

It is indeed a renamed 166.
Try it first, you might be supprised and though it is older it might be OK.

Mine is about 5 years old but I doubt if it has had more than 3 pounds of coffee through it.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012, 10:56am

Thanks Wayne,

I know it's had a lot more coffee through it than yours.  My friend who's sending it has been my best friend since high school (I'm pushing 50 now), so I know his habits well.  For one, he is very much your stereotypical virgo, so the machine has been well taken care of.  However, he is the proud recipient of my first Silvia, as of 2005, and he bought this Solis (then) to go along with it.  He's pretty much a daily latte drinker, and his wife enjoys the benefits of his skills as well.

btw, I sent him my Rocky in exchange (after all, he is my best friend), since for me it is overkill on presspot and I now have two Macap M4s.

However, I will take your advice into account before acting, given your track record of good advice and your strong fund of knowledge in "all things coffee".

Ron

Eiron
Eiron
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill 0930
Grinder: Quick Mill 031,...
Drip: TechniVorm KBTS
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Presto Poplite
Posted Wed Feb 8, 2012, 5:20pm

I have the same Barista grinder & I use it for grinding moka, drip & press. For me, it doesn't grind coarse enough for press. I even opened it up & de-tuned it to the max coarseness possible.

I'll be interested to hear what you think after you've had the chance to give it a try.

The grinder was sold under several different brand names (including Dualit & Saeco) & I believe the burr set was used in other models as well. Replacement burrs should be easy to get if it turns out you still need them.

-Greg

"Just what I need - another 'geek' label..."
- my friend Mark, on being told of Coffee Geek's existence

Good, affordable espresso: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/355707
Coffee's hot enough for OCD: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/330079
Personal & global health: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/ci_12802509
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Thu Feb 9, 2012, 9:32pm

Thanks Greg,

I was getting the idea from a couple other places there was a Saeco named line of this exact grinder as well.  I think it's the Titan.

I contacted Baratza, and they basically said I can purchase new burrs (if I end up needing them) from their website.  The link they sent me was to the Maestro Plus parts page.  

I understand that shortly after Baratza bought out Solis, they upgraded the burr set on the MP grinders (someone confirmed that here a week or two ago in another thread).  What I now wonder...is the "new MP" better for press pot than the "old Solis", and would it then possibly warrant changing out the burr set anyways?

Ron

Eiron
Eiron

Posted Fri Feb 10, 2012, 8:22am

Well, I can tell you that I bought a refurb MP (Starbucks Barista version) for my dad a couple of years ago & it's way better than the Solis 166 version. I think I paid $80 for the MP/Barista, & I paid $100 "on sale" for my Solis/Barista when it was new. The MP has a better motor & more range (a few other improvements as well), which would be nice for all of the grinding I do with it. But my Solis keeps going, so I can't justify replacing it until it either dies or I can give it to one of the kids...

PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Fri Feb 10, 2012, 11:53pm

I had one of those grinders a while back. I gifted it to my son and his wife after I got my Rocky.  I think it is a decient grinder but not great for French press.  I think the two point burr mount allows the upper burr to wobble and give an inconsistant grind size.  I think the newer Baratza machines have a three point mount and therefore should be better.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2012, 12:07pm

update:

I made french press with it a week or so ago, while on a vacation in Galveston.  We were there 3 days and I made 2-3 pots every morning and one night I made 2 pots.  I brewed Red Bird espresso and decaf espresso at 200 degrees, using the coarsest grind setting available.  In fact, I held the hopper on the border of maximum coarse and disengaged (which auto-shuts off the grinder), I had trouble pushing the plunger down if I let it brew for more than about 1 1.5 mins.  I'm thinking I'd be better off just springing for a new grinder, rather than putzing around with this one.  Maybe I'll gift it out to someone who doesn't know sh#t about coffee, but claims to really love it?

Eiron
Eiron

Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 8:56am

So did you end up doing anything to it? New burrs? De-tuning for coarser grind?

IMO it's a great grinder for someone doing a range of drip to moka, but outside of that & it simply doesn't have the capabilities. As-is, it's a great "gift" for anyone wanting to improve their brewing over the blade grinder they're probably using now. ;-)

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 1:52pm

I haven't done anything with it yet.  I took the top burr out and cleaned both burrs and the inside, but I don't think it will improve anything.  Fortunately, I very rarely drink anything other than espresso and I've got my Macaps for that.  I'm leaning towards gifting the 166 and getting a Lido for my presspot needs.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Solis 166...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.282163143158)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+