Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Trifecta Home - New product debut at CoffeeCon 2012
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BillH
BillH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: LeLit PL41TQ-PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte
Vac Pot: PITA
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB, Krups Moka...
Roaster: 'Elaine' Custom Diedrich...
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 4:18pm
Subject: Re: Bunn Trifecta Home - New product debut at CoffeeCon 2012

Evan, to further expand on Rob's suggestion, I suggest a Google search of 'Bunn Trifecta MB and Youtube'....you will see some good demos of it in action.
 View Profile Link to this post
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 6:54pm

I have read it, and I have watched the videos. I've researched it quite a bit. But the agitation doesn't seem to be any more intense than the combination of steam bubbling into the top of the vacpot combined with stirring the grounds. In fact I would say that there is far more agitation in the vacpot process.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 7:50pm

EvanOz85 Said:

I have read it, and I have watched the videos. I've researched it quite a bit. But the agitation doesn't seem to be any more intense than the combination of steam bubbling into the top of the vacpot combined with stirring the grounds. In fact I would say that there is far more agitation in the vacpot process.

Posted March 5, 2012 link

And your point is?
I'm really trying to figure out where you're going with this.

Apparently this technology has been successful with their commercial unit, and they have been able to repackage it for home use.
FWIW, we're talking about 12oz of water per use (I believe), not 24-40oz of liquid yield in a vac pot, depending on size.
Again, according the information available, agitation is only one factor in the brewing process.

I would suggest you allow your taste buds to decide whether such a brewer as the Trifecta fits your cost/versus taste criteria.
Perhaps there is a commercial unit somewhere in your area.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
chasemonster
chasemonster

Espresso: Rancilio Audrey
Grinder: Hario Mini Mill
Drip: V60
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 9:10pm

IMAWriter Said:

And your point is?
I'm really trying to figure out where you're going with this.

Stop trying to figure so much!
Adults are having a conversation here, so stop trying to censor the discussion.  
You keep interrupting and trying to steer the conversation in the direction that only YOU want it to go in.
We don't need your approval every time we want to make a post concerning the Bunn Trifecta.

There are going to be good things to say about the Bunn Trifecta, as well as some negative things to point out.
And I want to hear both sides!
If all I wanted to read were glowing reviews, I would go to the Bunn website.
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: no
Drip: no
Roaster: yes
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 9:18pm

chasemonster Said:

Stop trying to figure so much!
Adults are having a conversation here, so stop trying to censor the discussion.  
You keep interrupting and trying to steer the conversation in the direction that only YOU want it to go in.
We don't need your approval every time we want to make a post concerning the Bunn Trifecta.

+1

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 9:42pm

EvanOz85 Said:

Evan, let's get back to your reasonable question.  Instead of looking at a vac pot for comparison, consider the Aeropress.  20 seconds of steep time, 20 seconds of press time (approx).  Now see the key factor?  It's the pressure during the final press.  Same goes for espresso: add pressure, reduce time.

As for the air infusion, yes that is a key factor in manifesting the full flavor, but in this case, not by extracting more from the bean, but rather by accelerating the transformation of the already extracted ingredients in the liquid.  Air infusion means you don't have to shake up the final brew or wait as long for the chemical reactions to do their thing in the presence of oxygen while staring at your cup.

Addendum: on further consideration, yes, the air turbulence is also used to get more or less abrasion, according to which setting you use.  I won't get into extraction vs. abrasion, but suffice to say we're talking about physical vs. chemical effects here.  That's why the flavor profile alters toward more nutty, etc. kinds of flavors vs. fruity acidity the more turbulent your setting.

- Michael
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 9:46pm

Of course, don't forget that the air turbulence serves another purpose.  First, it mixes up the floating grounds.  2nd, it does all that other stuff I mentioned in my previous post.

Whew.

- Michael
JeffPersson
JeffPersson

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II & TWIST v2
Grinder: SM90, Preciso, Porlex, PeDe...
Vac Pot: Yama 8-cup
Drip: trifectaMB, HG, Chemex...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 10:06pm

EvanOz85 Said:

Can someone explain how the Trifecta manages to produce a properly extracted cup in under one minute with Bunn's recommended course grind, when vacuum pots can take 2:30+ with a fine grind?

The vacpot draw down is pulling the coffee through the grounds rather than pressing it through as in an espresso machine, moka pot, aeropress or the trifecta. while the draw down is faster and stronger than just drip (due to the vaccum created as the bottom vessel cools) I don't believe it pulls the coffee through with the same level of pressure as the other methods I mentioned use to push the coffee through the grinds.

Hypothesizing here, but I think the combination of the agitation keeping the slurry moving and evening out the extraction, the :40 - :50 steep time and the final press of the coffee out through the fine mesh filter at the bottom of the brew chamber is what results in a properly brewed cup. Of course depending on tastes some users may grind coarser or finer, but the trifecta approach is to keep the grind consistent and then dial in the brew to your liking based on the agitation level and steep time.

My wife plans to sign me up for the first season of Coffee Gadget Hoarders.
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: no
Drip: no
Roaster: yes
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 11:16pm

JeffPersson Said:

Hypothesizing here

HOW DARE YOU! ;)

remember....

IMAWriter Said:

Speculation serves no real purpose to this discussion.

Posted March 1, 2012 link

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 11:20pm

Bitches_Brew Said:

+1

I am merely trying to understand what comparisons to vac pot brewing have to do with this thread, other than the fact they are both immersion style methods. The van pot's draw down is the result of capillary action, not the major force apparently used by the Trifecta.
IMO, Evan was trying to compare apples with oranges, and I merely suggested he dig deeper in the manual, and as Bill said, Google videos.

BTW, I'm starting to wonder if you 2 guys are connected at the hip.
Any time someone...moderator or not attempts to steer a conversation back to the thread topic, you two guys show up with some sort of put down.
If you don't approve of my methods, take it up with Mark Prince.

I have no horse in this race. I'm just trying to keep the discussion on the Trifecta itself, not comparisons to other brewing methods, other than perhaps TASTE comparisons.

We've seen WAY too many threads dissolve into mush due to off topic posting...like our last 3 posts.
My apologies to the OP, the Bunn rep, and posters.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 9 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.401261091232)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+