Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Trifecta MB Owners' Thread
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 26 of 46 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
barkingburro
barkingburro
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Sat Apr 13, 2013, 7:54am
Subject: Re: Bunn Trifecta MB Owner's Thread

AmandafromBUNN Said:

Thanks Chris :)

You may find this article about the commercial trifecta interesting.

http://tinyurl.com/c9g85s9

Posted April 11, 2013 link

But did you see the comments to that article?  Yowza, I think I've about had it with the "hipster" snarf comments that keep turning up every time I read a third wave coffee establishment review!

Sorry about the thread-jacking, Amanda.  Love my trifecta MB.  Love what Bunn is doing these days...

"Hipsters!"  Where do these yahoos come off?  Anytime something costs more, it's hipster this and hipster that.

Breathe... inhale, exhale, nice and slow.

Seriously, Amanda, love the product.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BOTR

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 5:38am

Well, new problem this morning. I think this one will require the unit to be shipped back to be looked at.

Today during pressout I heard a strange snap sound. And the press didn't seem to have alot of pressure behind it. When it was all done, the cup looked not full enough. The brew chamber had maybe about a quater of the water remaining in it, just soaking grounds. Maybe my issue has been the pressure system all along? I cant believe Ill have to go without my Trifecta Brew for awhile! Back to pourover I suppose till this gets ironed out.

Chris
 View Profile Link to this post
BOTR

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 5:42am

Spoke with Amanda on the phone yesterday, and for now it appears everything is fine. The best guess it that for some reason it went over pressure. Sounds like it could be the grounds, type and grind level. Got home and everything worked fine again.

Customer service is great, thanks for taking some time to talk to me about this Amanda.
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 8:10pm

Glad to hear it, Chris.

I should mention (finally) that about a month ago my Trifecta went through a moody period during which I was getting a bunch of incomplete press-outs. Here's a list of things that didn't help:

- Coarsened up my grind somewhat on two different grinders (Preciso and Orphan Espresso LIDO)
- Removed the black shower head gasket, cleaned it, flipped it, and reinstalled
- Removed the shower head cover plate, removed and cleaned out both check valves, then reinstalled
- Replaced the check valve underneath the brew chamber
- Descaled
- Replaced both check valves in the shower head

Interestingly, throughout this little episode I was having better luck with 8-oz. brews than with my usual 10-oz. cups (all on C-:50); the latter tended to end with that telltale puff of air escaping from the top of the brew chamber.

I went through some troubleshooting with Amanda and even got to the point of asking for (and receiving) a prepaid shipping label, but in the end I didn't send the machine in because the problems I'd been having more or less went away when I moved on from two coffees I'd been using. Maybe I hit upon a particularly dense batch of beans? Not sure. FWIW the troublesome coffees were a natural-processed Counter Culture Rwanda and (most of all) a strictly high grown Topeca El Salvador (http://store.topecacoffee.com/sa12.html). Since I ran out of them, I've only ended up with a slightly wet brew chamber following press-out a few times, and in each case there's been much less coffee retained than before.

I'll hang on to the shipping label as a precaution, but for now it seems I'm out of the woods.
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 2:22am

I don't seem to be having these problems.  I do a water-only brew every other brew cycle.  And I never grind finer than drip (probably a little coarser).  Also, I enjoy medium roast coffees or (much less often) medium roast blended with darker roast.  Could that be why?

P.S. Murphy's Law dictates that I will now start having these problems right after I post this.  Thanks a lot, guys.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BOTR

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 5:39am

Well, I ended up removing all the valves you can get to, and giving them all a quick 5 minute vinegar bath. I think Ill make this a monthly ritual. Combined with the vinegar run every 10 days or so. I do have hard water out here.

I dont know if it had any effect or not, but everything is fine now. I am still using the same coffee, home roasted to Full City+.
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 7:53am

Michael, the water-only cycles didn't seem to help in my case, so cleanliness of the metal filter probably isn't it. Since I'd been using the same grind for months with no incidents across many, many coffees, I don't think that was the problem either. In fact, at one point I went all the way to a press grind on A-2:00 with the El Sal I mentioned and still got an incomplete press-out. Re: roast, I'm always on the light-medium side. At the time my $$ was on the shower head as the culprit, but it's all academic now since the MB is behaving again. Hope you didn't jinx yourself!
Benraphael510

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 6:40pm

Hi guys, recently purchased a Trifecta and I've got a Vario-W on the way. I received the counter culture monthly single origin subscription coffees which were tasty as usual. Does anyone have other specific counter culture favorites with the trifecta? if so, what brew settings do you use? also, those of you with Vario-W's, what grind setting are you using? Thanks for the help!
nachoslibres

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Bunn trifecta MB
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 9:45pm

Benraphael510 Said:

Hi guys, recently purchased a Trifecta and I've got a Vario-W on the way. I received the counter culture monthly single origin subscription coffees which were tasty as usual. Does anyone have other specific counter culture favorites with the trifecta? if so, what brew settings do you use? also, those of you with Vario-W's, what grind setting are you using? Thanks for the help!

Posted April 20, 2013 link

I haven't personally had any Counter Culture coffee but I will need to check it out (I personally order from Cuvee Coffee currently).  As far as settings - I typically use :45 for all my coffees, unless I want a little more body which I will go up to :50.  I personally prefer my coffees more acidic - and for Ethiopian blends (which are currently my favorite) I will do either a turbulence of A or B, for most other coffees do a turbulence of B or maybe C, and sometimes just for fun will occasionally do D.  Really, it comes down to what you prefer.  Some people just leave it at a particular setting for every coffee - but I find I have more fun if I constantly switch it up.

As far as the Vario-W goes I have both the macro and micro levers all the way to the coarsest settings.  It seems everyone who has the trifecta MB and the Vario-W recommend the steel burrs since you can go coarser, get a lot less fines, and get more flavor.  I've yet to pull the trigger on replacing the burrs but I have a feeling I will eventually do that soon.
Benraphael510

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 5:31am

Thanks for the feedback. When I ordered the Vario-W, I upgraded to the steel burrs based off what I read on this forum. Those of you with steel-burrs in the Vario-W, are you using the coarsest setting on both micro and macro adjusters? Thanks again.
Ben
showing page 26 of 46 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Trifecta MB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.287807941437)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+