Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Phase Brew™ - New Bunn Brewer
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Phase Brew™...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 37 of 40 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BarryR

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012, 3:16pm
Subject: Re: Bunn Phase Brew™ - New Bunn Brewer

jd2020 Said:

What coffee ratios are people using for the HT/HG?  This morning I made a 30 cup pot and it was WEAK. Nearly undrinkable.  I had done quiet a bit of research and testing on the HT last year, but never got to posting my lengthy findings.  

Generally, what I found was that I needed to up-dose typical auto-drip amounts for the HT, and that making less than a full pot tended to result in weak coffee.  I suspect this is because the filter hole allows the brewed coffee-water to exit the basket quickly, minimizing the time the water is in contact with grounds. The problem is made worse the less coffee in the basket. Now Bunn probably needed to err on the side of caution to keep from having an overflow situation.  I recall thinking I would try to use some kind of gasket to restrict the draining flow from the basket. I never did for fear of overflow, but I"m really tired of wasting 50+ g of good coffee.

My typical brewing is 67g coffee to 1181g (40 oz) water. That is ok, but not really robust, and sometimes a bit weak depending on the coffee.
This morning I used 56g coffee to 946g (32 oz) water.  Undrinkable.

What are your experiences?

Posted March 11, 2012 link

I use 1.6g / oz, so 48gm for a 30 oz pot and get very good results.
 View Profile Link to this post
JoanneR

Grinder: Bodum
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Mar 15, 2012, 7:46am

I'm sorry to have offended you with my first post here.  I should have made it clear that I had, indeed, spent at least an hour, if not more,
searching for any posts that addressed my conerns about the Bunn Phase Brew.  Because I spent that time before posting and because
I spent even more time after that posting reading this "blog?" I now have a new Bonavita and am no longer concerned about the Bunn.
wkearney99

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2012, 8:35am

JoanneR Said:

Because I spent that time before posting and because I spent even more time after that posting reading this "blog?" I now have a new Bonavita and am no longer concerned about the Bunn.

Posted March 15, 2012 link

It'd be nice to hear what convinced you to get that instead.  Forums like this (not actually a blog) depend on user participation and contributions.  It's as useful to hear why something's great as it is to hear why something else might be better.  That's how a community works.  That's a lot more helpful than hit-and-run situations.
JoanneR

Grinder: Bodum
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Mar 15, 2012, 2:05pm

OK, another apology for using blog when I know it is a forum.  What convinced me to buy the Bonavita was all of the positive postings about it here on coffeegeek.  I had
never heard of this brand before reading the posts here.  This will also be my final post as I have had enough criticism from members.  I did state that I am not a coffee
geek, just a coffee lover looking for new equipment.  I don't appreciate the hit-and-run comment either and have formed the opinion that you are all a bunch of coffee
snobs who consider this an exclusive forum for coffee snobs only.  I only received the BV (that stands for BonaVita, by the way), yesterday.  If you don't like the way I
spelled that --- too bad.  Since I have used the machine only once I really don't feel that I can give a good review just yet.  But, for what it's worth, after only one
use I can say that I am quite pleased with my BV.  I have no interest in taking the temp. of the water or in comparing the temp. of the water from one machine to
another.  I wanted a well thought of machine at a price that was acceptable and that makes a good cup of hot coffee.  I also was interested in a thermal carafe that
would keep the coffee hot longer than 15 minutes.  I drink three cups of coffee every morning over a period of approx. 1-1/2 hours and that's it.  The BV performed up
to my expectations based upon my one and only use of it so far.  The other coffee maker that I was considering had too many reviews, on Amazon, about problems and
making one or more exchanges of the machine and I did not want to deal with that.  There you have it and now I am finished.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Mar 15, 2012, 5:27pm

JoanneR Said:

OK, another apology for using blog when I know it is a forum.  What convinced me to buy the Bonavita was all of the positive postings about it here on coffeegeek.  I had never heard of this brand before reading the posts here.  This will also be my final post as I have had enough criticism from members.  I did state that I am not a coffee geek, just a coffee lover looking for new equipment.  I don't appreciate the hit-and-run comment either and have formed the opinion that you are all a bunch of coffee snobs who consider this an exclusive forum for coffee snobs only.

Sorry that there was something to make her feel less than welcome - maybe her departure is only temporary...

If you are in the mood for a Bunn Phase Brew™ then Amazon has got a killer deal going on - under $57 shipped:

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
jd2020
jd2020
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: GS/3, Moka Pot
Grinder: Vario, Virtuoso, Kitchenaid...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso MT500, Melita cone
Posted Thu Mar 15, 2012, 6:36pm

Perhaps there's a lesson here for everyone. Welcome new people. Don't sound like you don't want to be bothered reading the past "wisdom".  When I read this I thought JoanneR was saying she didn't want to read through this post. I know how that can make one testy.   Indeed, the "leaking" issue is discussed at length, so the answer is probably back some pages.

It a good idea to give your words some thought when you're new in a town. But decent advice for anyone. "Community" is a two way street.  Peace, out.

JoanneR Said:

Forgive me for using this topic to ask my question but I didn't want to review all of the posts to see if my concern is there.
I just became a member here because I am considering purchasing the Bunn HG Phase Brew and am concerned about
the many posts on Amazon about the carafe on this model leaking ...

Posted March 10, 2012 link

View Profile Visit website Link to this post
wkearney99

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2012, 6:49pm

jd2020 Said:

Perhaps there's a lesson here for everyone. Welcome new people. Don't sound like you don't want to be bothered reading the past "wisdom".  When I read this I thought JoanneR was saying she didn't want to read through this post. I know how that can make one testy.   Indeed, the "leaking" issue is discussed at length, so the answer is probably back some pages.

It a good idea to give your words some thought when you're new in a town. But decent advice for anyone. "Community" is a two way street.  Peace, out.

Well put, thanks.  Hard to say which is more annoying; newbies being rude, or existing users being irritated by it.  Probably a bit of both.
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2012, 4:57am

EricBNC Said:

If you are in the mood for a Bunn Phase Brew™ then Amazon has got a killer deal going on - under $57 shipped:

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Looks like a great deal, thanks for pointing it out.  

Guys, I've read the entire thread but am still not sure exactly which model's shower head emitter I need to ask Bunn for IF I wanted to replace the 2-3 stream one it comes with (i understand it's not necessary).  Some have mentioned 5, & some have mentioned 6 streams, but is there a particular part number?

Also (& off topic, but since a mod actually suggested this alternative earlier in this thread I'm going to ask before pulling the trigger on this HG), anyone happen to know what IS the most entry level (least expensive) U.S. made Bunn you can get?  It looks like those are all going to be $250+ resevoir type, where you keep water hot in them 24/7?  Despite having read about all the recurring issues here & at Amazon reviews, I still feel comfortable ordering one of these more than anything because of this Bunn rep seemingly all over the internet, personally making sure everyone's issues are taken care of. Pretty impressive.  But would also be willing to splurge on a made-in-USA more commerical grade model if there was one more like $100 to $200.  Don't need huge capacity, only brew ~24oz at a time, don't need 24/7 hot resevoir (but not a problem), either thermal or hotplate style.  Any advice appreciated.

Edit: for instance the ST/X, or BT Velocity- are either of those U.S. made?

Edit
harmolodic

Posted Fri Mar 16, 2012, 6:49am

jd2020 Said:

What coffee ratios are people using for the HT/HG?  This morning I made a 30 cup pot and it was WEAK. Nearly undrinkable.  I had done quiet a bit of research and testing on the HT last year, but never got to posting my lengthy findings.  

Generally, what I found was that I needed to up-dose typical auto-drip amounts for the HT, and that making less than a full pot tended to result in weak coffee.  I suspect this is because the filter hole allows the brewed coffee-water to exit the basket quickly, minimizing the time the water is in contact with grounds. The problem is made worse the less coffee in the basket. Now Bunn probably needed to err on the side of caution to keep from having an overflow situation.  I recall thinking I would try to use some kind of gasket to restrict the draining flow from the basket. I never did for fear of overflow, but I"m really tired of wasting 50+ g of good coffee.

My typical brewing is 67g coffee to 1181g (40 oz) water. That is ok, but not really robust, and sometimes a bit weak depending on the coffee.
This morning I used 56g coffee to 946g (32 oz) water.  Undrinkable.

What are your experiences?

Posted March 11, 2012 link

This is very interesting to me. Until I got the Bunn Phase Brew HT, I had been using a Capresso MT500 for years. It has a conical basket.

Upon getting the Bunn, I realized that at my usual grind level, the coffee tasted under-extracted compared to what I was used to. So I am grinding a few clicks finer now and the coffee is excellent.

I attribute the difference to the Bunn's flat basket with the larger filter hole.

Oh--I use 80 g coffee to 40 oz water...
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sun Mar 18, 2012, 11:35am

I have a Phase Brew. Initially I had some quality issues to which Bunn responded quickly.
Today I brewed a 30 oz pot (with 48 g of coffee ground med-fine). The coffee come out quite good, but I noticed a small area in the center of the grounds that was still dry (this has happened a few times in the past).
Should I request a different spray head?
Use a finer grind? (though I’m already using the setting between drip and espresso on my Breville grinder).
showing page 37 of 40 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Phase Brew™...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.363125801086)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+