Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Do you REALLY need to brew full capacity in a Siphon pot?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Do you REALLY...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 6:37am
Subject: Re: Do you REALLY need to brew full capacity in a Siphon pot?

calblacksmith Said:

I do have a vac pot and I would not advise adding anything to the dip tube YMMV.

Posted April 3, 2012 link

This may be an equally bad idea (just brainstorming here), but what if instead of extending the tube closer to the bottom, you raised the floor closer to the end of the tube?  If you had a flat plate or glass disk that could displace that last 1/2" of water or so.  Would have to be heat resistant, and I'm sure there's a reason you can't do it. Probably the same reason they don't make these things with really thick bottoms to begin with, & a cutout only in the center where the tube extends, or tapers from thick on the edges to deeper in the middle to accomodate the end of the tube.  THAT would leave only a tiny bit of water in there.  Might take too long to heat though.

Easier to just compensate for the extra water by making it a little stronger.
 View Profile Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 7:31am

VKirby Said:

This may be an equally bad idea (just brainstorming here), but what if instead of extending the tube closer to the bottom, you raised the floor closer to the end of the tube?  If you had a flat plate or glass disk that could displace that last 1/2" of water or so.  

Thing is - you need a certain amount of water in the bottom to maintain the pressure and force water vapour up the tube. Make that amount too small and it won't work properly, or more importantly could run dry or overheat with unfortunate results.  A lot of table top type brewers do have a spherical bottom globe, so by design they already minimise the amount of water remaining that doesn't go "up north".

I still think it's best to leave well alone and buy more brewers if you need different sizes ;o)
VKirby

Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 9:42am

VKirby Said:

If you had a flat plate or glass disk that could displace that last 1/2" of water or so.    

Got it: MARBLES.

Every marble you add will leave that much less volume for water in the bottom, but will still flow through to the syphon, & they;ll still leave some water at the bottom.
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 10:04am

__________ Said:

Struggling with that ;o(  I'd have thought that you still used the same ratio of coffee to water as you would if it were a full pot irrespective of how much of it mixed in the top globe ?  

These are my thoughts exactly. I don't understand why you would need to updose since at the end of brewing, you'll end up with the correct coffee/water ratio. Why would you add more grounds, when the coffee that's brewing in the top globe will already be concentrated regardless of the volume you brew?

An example would be Aeropress brewing techniques where you brew a concentrate that you add water to. Some of these methods call for a 1/1 ratio which is FAR more dilution than vacpots produce. How is this any different?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 10:40am

Hey, try it and see. Do be prepared though to replace a brewer if you lower the volume of water in the bottom.

As touched on above, you need to maintain a constant pressure to the upper vessel. You also need to maintain enough of a heat sink in the lower globe to prevent the bottom of the brewer from overheating and breaking. The less water you have in reserve, the higher your chances of running dry and over heating and breaking the globe.

I can understand the desire for less than a full pot but I think that is the reason they are made in different sizes and that you always brew to the full pot as the reserve water is designed into the pot and how it is used.

It is your pot, feel free to try different things! Anything that is non toxic can be used to displace water in the globe if that is your desire, anything from marbles to ceramic pie weights, just watch the water level..... and have a little cash set aside.... just in case :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 10:41am

My experience has been that you don't need to brew at full capacity for good coffee.  My primary siphon is the Yama 8 and it wasn't until recently that I started brewing at full capacity to satisfy the coffee horde at my house.  My standard brew used to always be the lowest mark on the bowl, the 5 cup marking, and the coffee was just fine.

You've probably heard all the advise about needing a minimum level to brew with to get a good draw-down, etc., but bottom line, even though the volume of water the remains in the lower globe will be a higher percentage at a lower batch size, I still get good results.  It is possible that you may see the effects on the coffee extraction if the coffee to water ratio during brewing is changed because the extraction is dependent to the gradient of solids being extracted from the coffee to the dissolved solids already present in the water, but my experience with the 5 cup versus the 8 cup has been that it's not that significant.  I haven't measured extractions by TDS, however and I also use a fairly long, two minute immersion time.  Scott Rao in his book Everything But Espresso advises that you fill the lower chamber at least 2/3 full when using immersion times shorter than two minutes to ensure sufficient vacuum for a reliable draw-down.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
KennyH

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Lelit PL041
Grinder: OE Pharos, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama 8 Cup
Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 11:40am

I brewed at less than maximum capacity sometimes when I actually used my vacpot on a regular basis, and it never shattered/imploded. I guess I could test some things for you, since if something happens to mine it's not that big of a problem. I don't have a butane torch though, only an electric element.
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 12:00pm

EvanOz85 Said:

Not to sound rude, but neither of your replies have any relevance to my question. The drawdown is not an issue. My question pertains to the dilution of the brew.

Posted April 2, 2012 link

Ah, so you've already tried it? Did you get the same temperature brew water? That's what I was wondering might affect your extraction. I don't understand why dilution would be an issue either.
JPDyson
JPDyson
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 12:51pm

I have a TCA-5D (20oz) and routinely brew with 14oz of water, no problem. I never tried this with my stovetop pot because the lower globe design allows more water to stay down during brew, which means there is less water up top for extraction, which could impede brewing. I think there's a threshold, where you can get away with maybe 75% capacity, but probably not 50% capacity. You need a good amount of water up top in order to properly extract the desirables from your coffee.

Yes, I just said desirables.

--Josh
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Apr 3, 2012, 3:45pm

OK, I forgot to say, my vac pot is a '40s era Silex, designed to be used on a gas stove. That may be some useful info ........ or not!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Do you REALLY...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.351145982742)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+