Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Which size cory glass filter for yama 8 cup siphon? Other, better filter ideas?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Which size cory...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012, 12:02pm
Subject: Which size cory glass filter for yama 8 cup siphon? Other, better filter ideas?

I've read that the cory glass rod filters will work with it, but I'm seeing 6" & 6 1/2" sizes on ebay, & would be surprised those are the only two variants.  Anyone making this work care to let me know which size works with the 8 cup yama?

& just to sum up my filter options to make sure I'm not overlooking anything:

-glass rods
-cloth
-K165 stainless mesh wrap around
-OE stainless mesh sandwich style
-bodum santos electric nylon mesh filter (though I'm not sure how they made that one work, because it just has a big loop on the back, with no chain/hook/spring to keep it seated)
-paper?  how?

Going for glass if someone can tell me which size to order, but would LOVE to make paper work somehow.
 View Profile Link to this post
BoldJava
BoldJava
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012, 3:09pm
Subject: Re: Which size cory glass filter

VKirby Said:

I've read that the cory glass rod filters will work with it, but I'm seeing 6" & 6 1/2" sizes on ebay, & would be surprised those are the only two variants.  Anyone making this work care to let me know which size works with the 8 cup yama?

Going for glass if someone can tell me which size to order, but would LOVE to make paper work somehow.

Posted March 27, 2012 link

Both sized glass rods work in the Yama 8-cup.

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012, 3:17pm
Subject: Which size cory glass filter for yama 8 cup siphon? Other, better filter ideas?

VKirby Said:

& just to sum up my filter options to make sure I'm not overlooking anything:

-glass rods
-cloth
-K165 stainless mesh wrap around
-OE stainless mesh sandwich style
-bodum santos electric nylon mesh filter (though I'm not sure how they made that one work, because it just has a big loop on the back, with no chain/hook/spring to keep it seated)
-paper?  how?

I don't see how the nylon mesh bodum filter for their electric Santos machine would work either.  You will probably find the plastic disk type filter for the Glass Bodum "now Pebo, formerly known as Santos" will fit though.  I use one of those in a TCA5 and it fits and works perfectly.
DrugOfChoice

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama 5 Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Clever...
Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012, 3:38pm

If you want to use paper, you can use the stainless mesh filter holder (sandwich style) with melitta disc paper filters.

Filter holder: Click Here (www.northwestglass.com) (Northwest glass sells this in two chain lengths and specifies that the long size will fit the Yama 8 cup stovetop).

I have a filter holder that looks identical to this, but was Hario branded and came with a pack of paper disc filters. The Melitta disc filters are slightly larger in diameter than the Hario filters, but work perfectly in my Yama 5 cup. (I also use the Melitta discs in my Krups Moka Brew, using two filters overlapping, in place of the original KMB filters.)

The Bodum Santos/Pebo plastic disc filter also works great in my Yama 5 cup.

http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/detail/1290-01

Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
VKirby

Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012, 9:36am
Subject: Re: Which size cory glass filter for yama 8 cup siphon?

__________ Said:

I don't see how the nylon mesh bodum filter for their electric Santos machine would work either.  You will probably find the plastic disk type filter for the Glass Bodum "now Pebo, formerly known as Santos" will fit though.  I use one of those in a TCA5 and it fits and works perfectly.

I'm thinking with the Nylon mesh, they must attach a chain & hook to that loop.  I kind of like that better than the tiny ridges on the one actually designed for this purpose. Seems like it'd filter out more. I'd rather have glass than that.  

Either way I think I'm going to try the stainless sandwich type, & see if replacing the mesh in between with paper filters works at all.  Tthe cory's- just wish you could KNOW if you were buying one with or w/o divots or bumps, or even if the pebbly part is just slightly misshapen, it can mess things up, but worht a shot for $10 or so. Cloth, stainless w/paper, & glass rod.  Hopefully can get something that works for me between those three.

VKirby: bodum santos electric nylon mesh filter.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Wed Mar 28, 2012, 4:48pm

VKirby Said:

I'm thinking with the Nylon mesh, they must attach a chain & hook to that loop.  I kind of like that better than the tiny ridges on the one actually designed for this purpose. Seems like it'd filter out more. I'd rather have glass than that.  

Posted March 28, 2012 link

That loop is 3.3cm wide (1 1/4") and I doubt it will fit inside the tube of most glass syphon brewers (it won't fit into any I have). You might anyway need to use the filter itself upside down, as the ridges moulded into what is designed as the underside of the filter are shaped specifically to fit with the base contour of the electric santos brewer top globe, and probably will cause the filter not to fit right down in other types. I'm not convinced it would seal that well though, as the top of the rim is a different design from the underside.

The Loop and the Clip part do unscrew if you want to play around with getting it to fit and work.

The Plastic ridged Bodum filter works extremely well despite your misgivings.

Glass filters are excellent provided you get a well made one that fits properly in the top globe.  

Paper works very well if you get the right filter holder.  

Cloth filters are just a pain.

I've used them all apart from metal mesh types, and landed on using the Bodum filter for the TCCA5 and glass Cona filters (of which there have been several shapes and sizes over the years) in all the Cona brewers.
VKirby

Posted Fri Apr 6, 2012, 10:36am

NW glass discouraged the use of glass rods in their pots, so I'm going to try sandwiching paper in the mesh filter holder as DOC recommended.  The cloth filters are making some great tasting coffee, but washing/reusing, keeping them in water, & at $1 a piece, I have to figure something else out. Maybe paper won't be too much of a downgrade.

DrugOfChoice Said:

If you want to use paper, you can use the stainless mesh filter holder (sandwich style) with melitta disc paper filters.

Filter holder: Click Here (www.northwestglass.com) (Northwest glass sells this in two chain lengths and specifies that the long size will fit the Yama 8 cup stovetop).

I have a filter holder that looks identical to this, but was Hario branded and came with a pack of paper disc filters. The Melitta disc filters are slightly larger in diameter than the Hario filters, but work perfectly in my Yama 5 cup. (I also use the Melitta discs in my Krups Moka Brew, using two filters overlapping, in place of the original KMB filters.)

The Bodum Santos/Pebo plastic disc filter also works great in my Yama 5 cup.

http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/detail/1290-01

VKirby

Posted Sat Jun 2, 2012, 4:02am

VKirby Said:

NW glass discouraged the use of glass rods in their pots, so I'm going to try sandwiching paper in the mesh filter holder as DOC recommended.  The cloth filters are making some great tasting coffee, but washing/reusing, keeping them in water, & at $1 a piece, I have to figure something else out. Maybe paper won't be too much of a downgrade.

Posted April 6, 2012 link

After experimenting with a few different filters, I think this is my favorite method so far.  I found some Kroger's brand paper disks that fit perfectly between the metal sandwich style holder.  They're cheap & convenient, no cloth to clean or keep stored in a cup in your refrigerator, & you don't have to worry about keeping your grind size larger than the pattern on textured filters- I've never seen any particles in my coffee, & have yet to stop up a pot.  

I did really like the idea of an all glass setup though, with nothing but glass touching my coffee.  At least this way isn't all plastic, compared to my drip machine that has since been retired to under the cabinet storage.

Thanks everyone.
Silas

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Cona C,  Hario Nouveau
Drip: Chemex
Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 5:22pm

Keep it Simple.... I  noticed you said that Cona glass rods come in different shapes and sizes.  I have a Cona "C" model coming in soon and wonder what you feel is the best rod for it?  I know the one that it comes with should be fine.  

But....is there a BETTER one, in your opinion?

I ask this because you have several Conas!
Silas

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Cona C,  Hario Nouveau
Drip: Chemex
Posted Tue Jun 26, 2012, 10:55am

Well, since there are no answers to my question as to what would be a possible BETTER Glass filter for the Cona "C," I suppose that the original IS the best one!!

Or no one has tried the others.  

I now see that Cona has its own cloth filter too.  Might get one as a back up in case I break the glass rod.

Any experience with the cloth Cona filters?
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Which size cory...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.352591991425)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+