Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Your Favorite Underrated Drip Brewers
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Your Favorite...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
missy_
missy_
Expertise: I love coffee
Posted Thu Apr 12, 2012, 1:05pm
Subject: Your Favorite Underrated Drip Brewers

There are the obvious favorites like the Technivorm and the Bonavita,  which keep the water heated a consistent 200 - 205 F per the SCAA standard, and which brew in the designated time frame.

But are there any electric drip coffee makers that perhaps you have run "unofficial" tests on, models that are still in production, that might be alternatives to the above?

(If they don't meet both tests, perhaps a drip machine that keeps the water hotter than the average drip machine. :)  And if the water isn't within the 200 to 205 parameters, at least can it be hotter than the average cup o' Joe. ;) )

I saw some models that people liked on here, but they were a few years old and are no longer made. So I was wondering if there were any newer models that might make the list today. :D

Looking forward to see what "diamonds in the rough" might emerge! :)

ADDED: edited to reflect "electric" drip.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. -- Captain Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager

C:\COFFEE.POT missing (A)bort (R)etry (F)all asleep?
 View Profile Link to this post
missy_
missy_
Posted Thu Apr 12, 2012, 6:42pm
Subject: Re: Your Favorite Underrated Drip Brewers

To give an example, the Melitta Clarity received very good comments on this forum in the past.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/91586

That thread states that the Melitta Clarify's temperature for one user was between 192F to 197F, which they rated as a "very good temperature."

It seems the Melitta Clarity is no longer being made. I think its price was around $30.

Some also mentioned the Presto Scandinavian in that thread, although I'm not sure if water temperature was ever measured. I believe that one is discontinued as well.

Perhaps some know of coffee makers that are similar in quality but still in production. :)

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. -- Captain Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager

frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Thu Apr 12, 2012, 8:11pm

youre in luck.  we just found out what Joe Behm's Gort is.  The Behmor Brazen.  It's a temperature adjustable home batch brewer.   Click Here (www.youtube.com)

check the "show more" section under the video for more specs.  It should be introduced at the upcoming SCAA show and hopefully be selling soon.  Joe mentioned in the other other Gort thread that it will be 199 dollars.   "What is Gort?"
KenpoJew

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Moka Pot
Drip: Bonavita
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 12:05am

Klaatu barada nikto.......

Sorry I could not help myself.
Eiron
Eiron

Espresso: Quick Mill 0930
Grinder: Quick Mill 031,...
Drip: TechniVorm KBTS
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Presto Poplite
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:08am

Underrated?

In today's market of "Do It For Me" products, I'd have to say the original Melitta drip brewer is one of the most neglected models that can easily guarantee meeting SCAA & SCAE guidelines.

For $10 (using your own water kettle), it's 10-cups of brewing perfection simplified to its most basic elements.

"Just what I need - another 'geek' label..."
- my friend Mark, on being told of Coffee Geek's existence

Good, affordable espresso: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/355707
Coffee's hot enough for OCD: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/330079
Personal & global health: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/ci_12802509
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 11:48am

Let's not forget the Melitta BCM 4.  I had a brew-off against a friends TV and I think it was close. He agreed it was close but slightly preferred the TV. Of course one must keep in mind that he paid north of $200 for it.

The little Melitta was at one time given free with a subscription to Gevalia coffee.  They go on eBay for $20 to $70.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
missy_
missy_
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 6:48pm

frank828 Said:

youre in luck.  we just found out what Joe Behm's Gort is.  The Behmor Brazen.  It's a temperature adjustable home batch brewer.   Click Here (www.youtube.com)

check the "show more" section under the video for more specs.  It should be introduced at the upcoming SCAA show and hopefully be selling soon.  Joe mentioned in the other other Gort thread that it will be 199 dollars.   "What is Gort?"

Posted April 12, 2012 link

Thanks, that is an interesting looking machine! It isn't cheap, but it looks like it will likely be a rival against the Technivorm and the Bonavita.

missy_
missy_
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 6:52pm

KenpoJew Said:

Klaatu barada nikto.......

Sorry I could not help myself.

Posted April 13, 2012 link

:D

missy_
missy_
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 6:54pm

Eiron Said:

Underrated?

In today's market of "Do It For Me" products, I'd have to say the original Melitta drip brewer is one of the most neglected models that can easily guarantee meeting SCAA & SCAE guidelines.

For $10 (using your own water kettle), it's 10-cups of brewing perfection simplified to its most basic elements.

Thanks, Elron, that is a great suggestion. I should probably edit my post, as I meant electric drip brewers.

The Chemex would be another one.  :)

missy_
missy_
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 7:02pm

PJK Said:

Let's not forget the Melitta BCM 4.  I had a brew-off against a friends TV and I think it was close. He agreed it was close but slightly preferred the TV. Of course one must keep in mind that he paid north of $200 for it.

The little Melitta was at one time given free with a subscription to Gevalia coffee.  They go on eBay for $20 to $70.

Phil

Phil, looks like a great little machine. The only hiccup I could see is the potential problem of acquiring parts for it.

That brew-off against the TV must have been something to see! :) Or taste, rather. :)

showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Your Favorite...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.352900028229)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+