Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Cold Brew or Hot Brew? Which one is the superior method?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cold Brew or Hot...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
missy_
missy_
Expertise: I love coffee
Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012, 8:53am
Subject: Re: Cold Brew or Hot Brew? Which one is the superior method?

Netphilosopher Said:

Missy, the links you provided are just a fancy way of doing cold brew coffee.  

Most cold brew comments are "acid free", "smoother", "not harsh", "different flavor than any coffee", "reduced acidity", "low pH".  These are basically code for "incomplete extraction."

Here's a video from George Howell about "flash brewing":
http://how2heroes.com/videos/beverages/ultimate-iced-coffee

There's some commentary from Mark Prince about the subject of "cold brewing" back in September last year:
"Thoughts and Theories on Iced Coffee"

and one of the articles he wrote that kicked off some discussion of the whole "cold" vs "hot", "brewing method" vs. "beverage state" and brewing iced coffee with an AeroPress:
"Aeropress Iced Coffee"

(Plus rest of excellent post)<snip>

Posted April 18, 2012 link

Netphilosopher, thank you for the education and for the links. :) That was some very interesting reading! :^D Thank you for explaining the terminology as well.

I see that my Amazon links were linking to traditional "cold brew" drip machines, so thank you for correcting my mistake. My link referencing "how to flash brew iced coffee in your drip pot" was a link to a George Howell article. :D And also about using a Chemex, that was covered in Mark Prince's article as well when he linked to Counter Culture Coffee's Peter Guiliano - in that URL the Chemex was mentioned.

There is a lot to learn with all of the terminology and intricacies of cold coffee, "iced coffee," "flash brewed," and cold brewing. It isn't as simple as I thought! It seems I am always learning something new on Coffee Geek! :o

The Aeropress method looks fascinating, and brewing a cup of americano has my mouth watering. Thanks, Netphilosopher and Mark Prince!

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. -- Captain Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager

C:\COFFEE.POT missing (A)bort (R)etry (F)all asleep?
 View Profile Link to this post
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012, 1:23pm

Netphilosopher Said:

Here's a video from George Howell about "flash brewing":
http://how2heroes.com/videos/beverages/ultimate-iced-coffee

Posted April 18, 2012 link

Been using his method for the last few weeks. Really delicious results.

However, I am super confused about something. With brewing over ice you don't use nearly as much hot water required to make a normal hot brew, and then you are diluting that with almost a third of the entire volume in ice.

How does it make sense then, that people will claim other dilution methods (such as the water left in the bottom of a siphon when not brewing full capacity) do not produce a properly extracted cup?

By pouring so little through the grounds, isn't there a lot of good stuff still left on them when you finish the pour? I don't get it.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012, 2:17pm
Subject: ...

Daniel437

Posted Fri Apr 20, 2012, 7:23am

I would only use cold brew if stomach problems prevented me from handling the acid in warm-brewed coffee. Cold brew can be more convenient though if you store it as a concentrate, but the idea of pulling coffee out of the fridge never sounded particularly appetizing to me.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
missy_
missy_
Posted Fri Apr 20, 2012, 1:21pm

Daniel437 Said:

I would only use cold brew if stomach problems prevented me from handling the acid in warm-brewed coffee. Cold brew can be more convenient though if you store it as a concentrate, but the idea of pulling coffee out of the fridge never sounded particularly appetizing to me.

Posted April 20, 2012 link

I live in a hot climate, so that is why it appealed to me. :) I still want to give it a try at some point and compare it with the "flash brew" methods discussed and taste the difference.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. -- Captain Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager

C:\COFFEE.POT missing (A)bort (R)etry (F)all asleep?
BurntMango

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012, 7:22pm

If you're like many (including myself) who feel icky after chugging a ton of acids and extracts in a typical cup of coffee, cold brew is definitely the superior method.  It's still tasty, less bitter, and much easier on the stomach.  Preparing it is also more economical and environmentally friendly than buying a new coffee machine every so often.  Cold brew is even reported to dramatically cut your intake of the cholesterol-raising compounds associated with hot-brew coffee.

If you consider cold-brewing, don't get suckered into buying an expensive carafe setup, either!  A couple of mason jars with a funnel and paper filters works just as well.
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Sat Apr 21, 2012, 7:27pm

about being able to stomach it, i used to be one of those people that had "stomach" issues when i drank coffee.  even just one cup used to really mess me up and i'd be in the restroom taking care of business for a while.  :P

now...i can drink tons of coffee without issue.  im thinking my body adjusted to it.  i wonder if it has anything to do with the way that i eat now.  ive become a very low carb eater for the last 1.5 years and decided to start drinking coffee because it's one of the few flavored drinks that is fine for me to drink.
FairlyOptimistic
FairlyOptimistic

Espresso: Aeropress
Drip: B&D "Brew 'N Go"
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 10:42am

I'm sold on the benefits of cold brew but can't seem get the ratio quite right - I'm away at school and don't have a freezer so I can't dilute the brew with ice and end up getting this unreasonably strong drink.  What would be the adjustment factor so that I could get a normal cup of coffee?
Chang94598

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 12:45pm

Cold brew can be like hot brew coffee, using full immersion or drip method. Similarly, French press, Abid, or specialized Tiamo or Hario devices can be used.

For home, the Hario Pota or Tiamo HG2604 may be more suitable, due to more compact size. I use another cold drip device from Iwaki, with recipe of 50g coffee in approximately 500g water.

The cold drip method does preserve the terrior flavor of coffee. In fact, because the bitters are less extracted, the beans can be roasted light.  At least in my experience, the typical dry processed berry aroma of Ethiopian coffee is quite pronounced.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 4:42pm
Subject: ...

showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cold Brew or Hot...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.343958854675)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+