Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Cold Brew or Hot Brew? Which one is the superior method?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cold Brew or Hot...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
missy_
missy_
Expertise: I love coffee
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2012, 10:56pm
Subject: Cold Brew or Hot Brew? Which one is the superior method?

As a relative beginner in the world of coffee, although I know a bit about water temperatures and whatnot, I find myself beginning to ask questions about the differences between hot brew methods and cold brew, and which is better.

The SCAA has several hot brew coffee machines it has given the nod to which brew within a range of temperature guidelines and brew times.

I'm wondering can any of you Coffee Geeks help me with why cold brew is not considered -- (or maybe indeed it is considered?) -- a legitimate contender in the world of coffee by such organizations as the SCAA? (And if it is, please forgive the error.)

Is one method, hot brew or cold brew, superior over the other?

Or are both methods just "different" from one another, with neither being superior?

Looking forward to your opinions. :)

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. -- Captain Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager

C:\COFFEE.POT missing (A)bort (R)etry (F)all asleep?
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 4:14am
Subject: ...

SoundGuyAndy

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Virtuoso+Esatto, Vario-W
Drip: Aeropress, Chemex, Norelco...
Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 8:44am
Subject: Re: Cold Brew or Hot Brew? Which one is the superior method?

Yup, Netphilosopher pretty much hit the nail on the head. Sam over at Craft Coffee blogged about this recently, basically noting that because cold brew leaves so many things unextracted, it tends to make all coffees taste the same. Good if bulk consistency and smoothness is your goal, bad if you really want to taste the best the beans have to offer.

Click Here (blog.craftcoffee.com)
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 10:21am

missy_
missy_
Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 11:03pm

Thank you, Netphilosopher and SoundGuyAndy for your responses and for the welcome. :)  I learned a lot and I appreciate that!

I have always made iced coffee using hot brew at a higher-than normal concentrate, although I don't have any special equipment for doing so.

That blog post was interesting reading, SoundGuyAndy, and Netphilosopher, thank you for explaining the differences between cold brew and hot brew and cold brew and "flash brewed" or "Japanese Iced." :^)

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. -- Captain Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager

missy_
missy_
Posted Tue Apr 17, 2012, 11:31pm

In the tumblr blog post underneath in the third comment they discuss Kyoto style brewing. Is that considered a style of "Japanese iced"?

Netphilosopher, I found these machines on Amazon - are these "Japanese iced" or are these "cold brew"?

Cold Drip Coffee and Tea Maker, 8-Cup by Northwest Glass

There was also this one:

Yama Northwest Glass 32-Ounce Cold Brew Drip Coffee and Tea Maker, Black

For budget options for "flash brew" I would think the pour-over Chemex is a good option as shown in the blog post (although I'd be afraid of cracking the Chemex; I'd rather add the ice later) ... or using a stronger concentrate in an electric drip brewer. Instructions for doing that are here: How to flash-brew iced coffee in your drip pot

Netphilosopher

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012, 4:41am

Netphilosopher

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012, 5:10am

Sublime

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Falling apart Capresso
Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012, 6:57am

I wonder if it would be better to brew into an ice cream maker tub?  That way all the water touches grounds (no ice to dillute).  

I guess that's the question.  If you use 45g of coffee with 780g of water into an ice walled container, will that give you better results than brewing 515g of water through 63g of coffee onto 264g of ice cubes.
Netphilosopher

Posted Wed Apr 18, 2012, 7:39am

showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cold Brew or Hot...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.251476049423)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+