Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Cold Brew or Hot Brew? Which one is the superior method?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cold Brew or Hot...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
Chang94598

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 11:48pm
Subject: Re: Cold Brew or Hot Brew? Which one is the superior method?

Netphilosopher Said:

I haven't found this to be the case, but like all coffee, YMMV.

I just was playing around with my new refractometer and brewing cold vs. normal brews.  One of them was an Ethiopia Yirg (not DP), roasted about 15 seconds BEFORE 2C - a fairly light roast for me.

Cold brewed and diluted to 1.2% and brought to 130F, VERY faint berry flavor.  Some weird sort-of instant coffee flavor also.  No brightness.  Aroma was fairly flat - like Colombia mainstream coffee.  A faint taste of walnut at the finish with a hint of cocoa.  The grounds, however, were wonderfully fragrant...

Normal brewed?  Awesome, zippy cup of black currant and blueberry popping at the beginning, with a much more interesting sweetness through the cup - which surprised me (because cold brewing is supposed to be so much "sweeter").  Aroma was a wonderful bouquet of berries.  Great mild overtone of dark chocolate at the end of the sip.  

Cold brewing may preserve SOME of the terroir, but when compared back to back with a normal brew - there is no contest in my mind.  Freshly roasted high quality coffee is WAY different cold brewed vs more normal brewed.  It's up to the consumer to determine one is superior to the other or if they are just "different".

Posted April 22, 2012 link

In the traditional sense of evaluating brewed coffee, wet aroma is assessed. With higher temperature, more molecules will be in vapor form. With cold brew, one can concentrate more, and is probably forced to, on the gustatory phase.

The drip cold brew can be consumed straight, not to be diluted and then heated. With full immersion cold brew, the caffeine content will be significantly higher, and not recommended in large quantities. If you are ever in SFO, you are welcome to come by my place to taste what I mean. Last week we did a flight of DP Ethiopian Gedeo Worka, 90+ Tchembe, and Don Pachi and I cannot say drip cold brew is any less satisfying.
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Apr 23, 2012, 3:23am
Subject: ...

Netphilosopher

Posted Fri May 4, 2012, 5:55am

rlevine

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Izza Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Baritza Virtuoso Preciso,...
Drip: Hario kettle, V60, Chemex
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 9:46am

We're talking about a consumable beverage here. There is no "superior" method. We can argue/discuss endlessly about extraction rates and total dissolved solids, but at the end of the day if you like it, all of those specs are meaningless. I suggest you brew up some coffee using several different methods and decide which you like best.

All that being said, Netphilosopher as always I appreciate and value your extensive knowledge and willingness to go outside the norms to obtain good data. Cheers!

Randy

--
www.snobcoffery.com
www.flickr.com/photos/rlevine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 1:07pm

There's a trio of recent blog posts talking about this subject and also discussing cold brew, hot brew (Japanese method) and a hybrid where you bloom the coffee with hot water and then quench the coffee with cold to lock in the aromatics.  The posts are quite interesting and worth a read:

1.  Why you should stop cold-brewing, and use the Japanese Iced Coffee Method by Peter Giuliano of Counter Culture Coffee
  2.  Iced Coffee by Lorenzo Perkins of Cuvee Coffee
  3.  Iced Coffee [a response] by Nick Cho of Wrecking Ball Coffee

I haven't tried the hybrid, and I hear that cold brew works best when filtered through cloth (haven't tried my sock pot yet) but I am a big fan of the hot brew method using my Chemex and Kone filter and even single cups using the Aeropress.  

Here's three hot brew recipes I use for iced coffee and one cold brew recipe that I tried using a short three hour soak.  I didn't enjoy the cold brew as much and found it lacking in pleasant acidity and bitterness and I also enjoy the instant gratification of the hot brew method.  Still, there's no right way, just the way you like it.  Note, all these recipes should be used as starting points and you should adjust them to taste.

Iced Chemex
40 g Coffee
283 ml Water
196 g Ice (~8 cubes)

Double-batch "Alcatraz" iced Chemex
80 g Coffee
566 ml Water
392 g Ice (~16 cubes)

Single-Serve Iced Aeropress
14 g coffee
100 ml water
70 g ice (~3 ice cubes)

Single-Serve Cold Process Aeropress
10 g coffee
150 ml cold water
1 ice cube
Soak in 8 oz Jelly Jar for 3 hours
Filter through AP

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 2:02pm

Netphilosopher

Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 12:48pm

tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 1:15pm

When I first started this journey I was fortunate enough to meet a major supplier to the market, former master roaster and COE judge. In other words the man knows his sh-- and is widely respected throughout the industry.

One of the first things he tried to impress upon me was, no matter what any expert or others might tell you at the end of the day its all up to you- the person".

I've done Toddy- cold brew since the early 90s (it is why I went back to drinking coffee- lucky me) and love many aspects of it but have also found (especially while testing the BraZen) that a hot brew brings a nice change to the same bean. I have cold brew in the fridge and a BraZen on the counter so I choose based upon my mood, time of day or outside weather.

Coffee for me is a personal quest and journey which is influenced to some degree by others in how I approach things but at the end of the day, its between me, myself and I.... with solid input from my wife ;-)

Go with what works for you...

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cold Brew or Hot...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.292068958282)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+