Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 63 of 109 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 10:26am
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

Try looking back at page 57 of this string which talks about alternate methods of handling extreme bloom using less than 200F water pre-soak. I think the bloom issue is with specific coffees only which always have that bloom to deal with. Also, I am noticing, for example, with Sumatras freshly roasted, I have no bloom issues at all (even at the 4 day mark) and now I have people coming to my place to try 'their' coffee in the BraZen which seems to get to the 'sweet spot' of the brewed bean when bloom isn't a factor. All my brews have been at 204 with a slightly courser grind than then the consistency of kosher salt.
 View Profile Link to this post
cafedj

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 10:53am

The_Coffee_Guy Said:

All my brews have been at 204 with a slightly courser grind than then the consistency of kosher salt.

Posted November 17, 2012 link

Not sure if you've tried other temp settings, but I'd like to suggest it's worth some experimenting if you haven't.  Just as one example, the beans I'm currently using have a distinct too strong, overextracted taste at 204 on my Brazen.  Using the same grind, pre-soak, and coffee/water ratio I set it down to 203 and all of the bad tastes disappeared.   I was astonished at the difference.  I've now discovered that bean has a completely different, and much more fruity flavor profile at 196.  Much above 200 and virtually all the fruit notes go away.   Obviously we've always had grind and ratio to play with in drip machines, but consistent, controlled temp and pre-soak is a whole new ballgame, and I can attest to how interesting it is to explore that territory.
gilrain

Vac Pot: Yama Stovetop
Drip: Broken Brazen
Roaster: Whirly-Pop
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:13am

The_Coffee_Guy Said:

Try looking back at page 57 of this string which talks about alternate methods of handling extreme bloom using less than 200F water pre-soak.

I'll give that a try tomorrow morning, thanks.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
onthemoors

Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop, Behmor
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 4:03pm

What filter are you using? Pre-soak time? Amount of coffee? Type of grinder?
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy

Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 4:14pm

onthemoors Said:

Not sure who you were pointing that query to but I am using the gold filter mostly (to get the benefit of the oils in brew), pre soak time of 30 seconds, using the recommended standard measurement of 55 grams per litre of water and a grind setting of 6 on my Barataza Encore grinder
onthemoors

Grinder: Zassenhaus
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop, Behmor
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 4:48pm

The_Coffee_Guy Said:

Not sure who you were pointing that query to but I am using the gold filter mostly (to get the benefit of the oils in brew), pre soak time of 30 seconds, using the recommended standard measurement of 55 grams per litre of water and a grind setting of 6 on my Barataza Encore grinder

Questions were for gil, I duffed that a bit.
gilrain

Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 8:04am

onthemoors Said:

I'm using the gold filter basket that comes with the Brazen, ramped up from 1:00 to 3:00 pre-soak over the course of the three pots that overflowed, and ground in my Baratza Encore. I've been filling the Brazen to its six cup mark and using 65g of coffee.

I'm just about to try the cold/warm manual pre-soak that The_Coffee_Guy pointed out, so let's hope that fixes the issue!
tahoejoe
tahoejoe

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 8:28am

If the basket is overflowing that would indicate the filter is clogging from the grounds being quite possibly too fine. Understand the design allows for X flow in with Y out, the only thing that varies is the size of the grind that could alter Y out enough to cause an overflow.

Suggestion- start coarse then go smaller with a pre-soak of 1:20 and 203-204

I have a Baratza Virtuoso and for gold use a 22-24 setting depending upon the coffee. At one point I used 26 but after a trip to Italy decided to try slightly finer.

Hope this helps..

Joe

ps.. OT- what part of Ky? My mother was raised in Cynthiana

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
gilrain

Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 8:54am

Well, good news! Using infinus' warm pre-soak technique (8 seconds at 120, then start normal brew cycle from there), there was a huge improvement in bloom. In order to challenge the machine to live up to my expectations, I used the same, very bloomy, dry processed Ethiopian Sidamo... except this time from the batch I roasted just last night. The bloom did reach the brew head, but that was with as fine a grind as I prefer (finer than normal drip) in addition to the fresh bloomy coffee.

Overall, I'm happy. With this pre-soak technique, I think the Brazen and I can get along just fine. Thanks again for the good advice, folks.
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 9:15am

gilrain Said:

Well, good news! Using infinus' warm pre-soak technique (8 seconds at 120, then start normal brew cycle from there), there was a huge improvement in bloom. In order to challenge the machine to live up to my expectations, I used the same, very bloomy, dry processed Ethiopian Sidamo... except this time from the batch I roasted just last night. The bloom did reach the brew head, but that was with as fine a grind as I prefer (finer than normal drip) in addition to the fresh bloomy coffee.

Overall, I'm happy. With this pre-soak technique, I think the Brazen and I can get along just fine. Thanks again for the good advice, folks.

Posted November 18, 2012 link

Even though your initial comparison/expectation was apples/oranges vs. a vac pot, it sounds like you're now getting at least as good results from the BraZen (& no overflows)?
showing page 63 of 109 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.328846931458)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+