Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Cold brewing: ice, drip, press ??
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cold brewing:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
rogermorse

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 3:42pm
Subject: Cold brewing: ice, drip, press ??

I was never into cold coffee....the only cold coffee I ever enjoyed was a shaked espresso which I learned from my father: you use a moka (very hot coffee then and not creamy), a spoon of sugar and enough ice to reach a temperature next to 4 degrees celsius....shake everything together in a shaker....the ice cubes have their function in cooling everything but also in shaking the fluid....the result is a sweet and cold foam that will settle in a long time (depending on how you shake and the proportion coffee-ice and also the difference in temperature between the ice and the coffee).

Anyway....I was saying...cold brewing, I never did it and I would like to try. At the moment I put coffee in a french press (with cold water....not ice cold but cold), I will see tomorrow how it turns out. But the main question is: everything depends on these things (i guess):

- how much time the coffee stays in the water (or the water stays in the coffee....)
- how cold the water is
- all the other elements...how much coffee which coffee how grind and so on

So talking about drip coffee, the water not only is ice cold, but also goes through the coffee....without leaving the coffee in the water for 12 or 24 hours. That makes a huge difference. The same goes for the temperature: in a french press you may live the water with the coffee for a day, but the water will never be ice cold and above everything, the water stays the whole time in contact with the coffee.....not like in a drip tower where the water has its flow through the coffee as you would with a pour over.

So how would this work? I don't have the possibility to try a drip tower....but could you tell me some other kinds of cold brewing? Since it needs a very long time, without a dripper is impossible for me to try anything different from 'leaving the coffee inside the water'.....or I should stand 12 hours in front of a paper filter dropping waterdrops on the coffee......
 View Profile Link to this post
wabbitt
wabbitt
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 8:04pm
Subject: Re: Cold brewing: ice, drip, press ??

Cold brew basically produces a coffee concentrate.  If you want to drink it hot, you dilute it with hot water.  If you like cold lattes, you would add cold milk, maybe crushed ice, maybe flavored syrup or sweetener.  

I just take a big jar and I fill it about 1/3 full of ground coffee.  I match the volume with water, so then the jar is 2/3 full.  I put the lid on and shake it up, then loosen the lid to allow the coffee to bloom.  In about an hour (or whenever, I may add more water.  It's really all up to your taste.  If I'm just doing an overnight, I leave it on the counter.  If I'm going 24 hour, I'll let it sit in the refrigerator.  To separate the solids, I'll pour it through my regular kitchen strainer, then go through a regular coffee filter (or into my chemex).  After I wash the original jar, I'll pour the finished cold brew back into the jar because I like to keep the lid on.

So there you are.  I use ratios and I dilute to my taste.  Nothing is absolute.  It's more of a technique than a recipe.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cold brewing:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.203325986862)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+