Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Kone 3rd Generation
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Kone 3rd...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
Author Messages
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Apr 24, 2012, 10:52am
Subject: Kone 3rd Generation

Not sure if this was posted anywhere else yet, but I stumbled across a picture of the 3rd gen Kone with plastic rim and blunt tip. From what I've been told, the new Kone drastically reduces sediment passed through and allows for more turbulence during brewing.

EvanOz85: 06remix-coffee-tmagSF.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
DanielSch

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012, 4:01am
Subject: Re: Kone 3rd Generation

very nice ;-)
Spitz
Spitz

Espresso: VBM DD v3
Grinder: Compak K10 PB
Vac Pot: Hario Vac
Drip: 8c Chemex, Hario Hand-Drip,...
Roaster: Hottop P
Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012, 4:38am

This is becoming just as bad as Apple with their products.  Every 6 months they release a better version of the Kone and every time it's insanely expensive.  $60CAD for a filter is outrageous.  Chemex papers produce better results without all the gross sediment, I have v2 and there's tons of sediment.  I can't even imagine what came from v1.  

Yay, they've done to their 3rd version what they should have conceived in the first version... oh wait, or will that be in v6?

Every version will 'drastically reduce sediment' and every new version will have more streamlined looks until they finally just sell it with it's own built-in carafe.
whd2102

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012, 6:17am

I'm with Spitz on this one. I had the Kone v1 and sold it on BST after a couple of weeks. Too much sediment for me. v2 supposedly better, v3 supposedly better still...

For full-bodied but clean pour-over, I use cloth. Cheaper, and the clean-up isn't worse than with the Kone. The Kone's holes are actually a bit tricky to clean.
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012, 9:50am

Chemex papers produce better results? You must be joking. I mean..every method has it's pro's and cons, but I find that pretty much ANY coffee words well in the Kone 2 while there are only certain types I would use with Chemex paper.

I don't see what's wrong with releasing a new version. No one is forcing you to buy it. Able uses feedback from its customers to improve future versions of the Kone, and the past purchases of previous Kones have put money towards developing future versions.

If you are happy with the Kone 1 or 2...then don't get the 3! Simple as that! But there are those of us who viewed the Kone, like Able states, as a work in progress and are more than willing to spend a little more money on their improvements. I will still have the 2 when I buy the 3, and the 2 has given me almost a year of incredible coffee. I truly believe it is the overall best pour over device ever invented.
whd2102

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012, 11:16am

As a break from studying for finals, thought I'd nitpick here...

EvanOz85 Said:

Chemex papers produce better results? You must be joking. I mean..every method has it's pro's and cons, but I find that pretty much ANY coffee words well in the Kone 2 while there are only certain types I would use with Chemex paper.

Posted April 25, 2012 link

Taste is subjective, etc. A lot of folks prefer paper Chemex to Kone. Last year's World Brewer's cup winner used a paper Chemex. Obviously not dispositive (the point is that nothing is) but worth mentioning.

EvanOz85 Said:

I don't see what's wrong with releasing a new version. No one is forcing you to buy it.

He didn't say there was anything "wrong" with a new version; he merely suggested that he would exercise his free-will and choose not to participate in this ongoing filter experiment.

EvanOz85 Said:

If you are happy with the Kone 1 or 2...then don't get the 3!

He's not happy with the 2, and he won't get the 3.

EvanOz85 Said:

I truly believe it is the overall best pour over device ever invented.

You must be joking.

{joking}
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012, 12:12pm

I'm not joking. It's the only device I own that has never produced a bad cup. And I've done 500+ brews with it.

whd2102 Said:

He's not happy with the 2, and he won't get the 3.

I'm assuming poor pouring technique is resulting in "tons" of sediment. That simply does not happen when you know how to use it.
barkingburro
barkingburro
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012, 1:19pm

Spitz Said:

Every version will 'drastically reduce sediment' and every new version will have more streamlined looks until they finally just sell it with it's own built-in carafe.

And if they keep the same price while making these improvements it will of course be worth it, just as it is worth it when Apple does the same.  But I'm waiting for the next version Kone which is rumored to have a built-in pressure inducer with a plunger... oh wait, that's called an Aeropress.

My feeling is that complaining about some company dramatically improving its products is just as curmudgeonly as complaining when anyone does anything different but possibly better.  I'm probably missing the point--perhaps I'll appreciate this if I reread it in another half-century.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
whd2102

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012, 2:32pm

EvanOz85 Said:

I'm not joking. It's the only device I own that has never produced a bad cup. And I've done 500+ brews with it.

It is unfortunate that his poor pouring technique is resulting in "tons" of sediment. That simply does not happen when you know how to use it.

I know you weren't joking...that's why I said {joking} after "You must be joking"...

The Kone is a steel thing with holes in it. It can filter coffee. Also chicken stock. It is not a damsel in distress. Its honor does not need to be defended.

This, in combination with your thread against French-Press-as-analogy, made me think that you're taking this coffee stuff too seriously. That's why I responded. It's coffee. We all love it here.

But it's *just coffee.*
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012, 3:05pm

Right...so because I say that in my opinion the Kone is the best pour-over device, I'm taking coffee to seriously. Gotcha.

And because I make a thread that clearly states I'm just ranting, I'm taking coffee too seriously. Gotcha.

I think you're taking my words too seriously.

Moving on...
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Kone 3rd...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.387687921524)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+