Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bunn Phase Brew™ - New Bunn Brewer
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Phase Brew™...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 38 of 43 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Mar 19, 2012, 12:42am
Subject: Re: Bunn Phase Brew™ - New Bunn Brewer

The amazon deal has since dropped a few dollars more- would anyone here pay over twice as much (2 1/2x now) for a bonavita BV1800, instead of the HG? What does a bonavita have over the hg (i.e. they're both made in china & lots of plastic, but brew at 200 degree & have that scaa cert)?

Otherwise someone please let me know if I'm overlooking any US made Bunns- the most entry level one I can find is the A10, which is $250.  It wouldn't be as hard to spend that over a home model if it was like the HG or bonavita (where you pour water in only when you're about to make coffee, instead of keeping hot water in it 24/7)- so any models I'm overlooking, or other advice?  Thank you.

VKirby Said:

Looks like a great deal, thanks for pointing it out.  

Guys, I've read the entire thread but am still not sure exactly which model's shower head emitter I need to ask Bunn for IF I wanted to replace the 2-3 stream one it comes with (i understand it's not necessary).  Some have mentioned 5, & some have mentioned 6 streams, but is there a particular part number?

Also (& off topic, but since a mod actually suggested this alternative earlier in this thread I'm going to ask before pulling the trigger on this HG), anyone happen to know what IS the most entry level (least expensive) U.S. made Bunn you can get?  It looks like those are all going to be $250+ resevoir type, where you keep water hot in them 24/7?  Despite having read about all the recurring issues here & at Amazon reviews, I still feel comfortable ordering one of these more than anything because of this Bunn rep seemingly all over the internet, personally making sure everyone's issues are taken care of. Pretty impressive.  But would also be willing to splurge on a made-in-USA more commerical grade model if there was one more like $100 to $200.  Don't need huge capacity, only brew ~24oz at a time, don't need 24/7 hot resevoir (but not a problem), either thermal or hotplate style.  Any advice appreciated.

Edit: for instance the ST/X, or BT Velocity- are either of those U.S. made?

Edit

Posted March 16, 2012 link

View Profile Link to this post
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Mon Mar 19, 2012, 7:19am

Call Bunn directly and ask them.  I'm also curious about which models are USA made.

LMWDP # 010
PietroR
PietroR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Fiorenzato Briccoletta...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: I think its a Bodum French...
Roaster: Drum/BBQ and Coffee...
Posted Wed Mar 21, 2012, 10:52pm

EarlyStarts Said:

, I change out the glass carafe with a Mr. Coffee thermal one that I picked up at Walmart for $10.  I have to take the lid off the thermal carafe while brewing or it won't fit.

Posted December 1, 2011 link

Which Mr C carafe?
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Fri Apr 13, 2012, 5:38pm

BarryR Said:

I have a Phase Brew. Initially I had some quality issues to which Bunn responded quickly.
Today I brewed a 30 oz pot (with 48 g of coffee ground med-fine). The coffee come out quite good, but I noticed a small area in the center of the grounds that was still dry (this has happened a few times in the past).
Should I request a different spray head?
Use a finer grind? (though I’m already using the setting between drip and espresso on my Breville grinder).

Posted March 18, 2012 link

I emailed Lisa McCloud and she sent me some new sprayheads pronto (not sure it fixes the problem but nice customer service).

On an unrelated note:
On Monday, my Phase Brew abruptly stopped working (lights on, not brewing). I called Bunn and by the next day a replacement was on it's way to me (arrived today - Friday).
For those who haven't memorized this thread, that's the 2nd time this has happened.

Conclusion: Bunn customer service, as noted by many here, is excellent. Zero hassle as it should be. They also sent me a label to ship the old machine back.
I'm very happy with the coffee that the Phase Brew makes. I just hope they've fixed the reliability issues.

If someones' considering buying one, I wouldn't dissuade them, as long as they know the potential issues.
If Bunn customer service was mediocre then I'd have a different opinion, but because it only took five minutes of my time for each issue, I'm OK with it.

Also, I now have a brand new machine for the 3rd time!
missy_
missy_
Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012, 3:08pm

VKirby Said:

The amazon deal has since dropped a few dollars more- would anyone here pay over twice as much (2 1/2x now) for a bonavita BV1800, instead of the HG? What does a bonavita have over the hg (i.e. they're both made in china & lots of plastic, but brew at 200 degree & have that scaa cert)?

<snip>Thank you.

Posted March 19, 2012 link

VKirby,

I am shopping, just as you are, for a new coffee maker.

Yes, I would likely pay more for the Bonavita because it has the SCAA certification. That means it doesn't just spike the water at a given temperature but keeps it there during the brew cycle. (Although maybe someone here has tested this Bunn and perhaps it does keep the water temperature steady.) It also brews the coffee within the designated time factor.

I am still considering machines without an SCAA certification. But I place higher value on the machines that have it.

The Bunn has more Amazon reviews. The low reviews say things such as the following: some complain that the standard carafe that comes with the unit leaks between the plastic rim and the glass. Others say that one solution is the standard carafe is interchangeable with another all-glass Bunn carafe that does not leak (I do not know if that is still the case). Some say it eventually gives out a "CLE" error which means it need cleaning, but that even after cleaning, it will not heat the water.

One person said they have had five machines fail, another three. Those types of reviews.

We won't find those with the Bonavita, because it is too new. It may also fail, and have other problems, but it hasn't been on the market long enough to know what its shortcomings may be. It may last longer, as it was built to compete with the Technivorm, but that is only speculation. No one knows how long the Bonavita will last.

Customer service is another iffy factor regarding the Bonavita. No one knows yet how good or bad customer service will be. Time will tell. There are only 29 reviews of the Bonavita as of this writing, compared with 183 reviews of the Bunn Phase Brew over a two-year period.

In the end, I think it boils down to a gut feeling and we have to get whichever machine feels right for us.

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. -- Captain Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager

C:\COFFEE.POT missing (A)bort (R)etry (F)all asleep?
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012, 3:33pm

missy_ Said:

The Bunn has more Amazon reviews. The low reviews say things such as the following: some complain that the standard carafe that comes with the unit leaks between the plastic rim and the glass.

Posted April 14, 2012 link

The original one I had had a leaky carafe. They replaced that carafe (I called, they sent me a new one right away) and I've had no problem with a carafe since (> one year).
missy_
missy_
Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012, 3:36pm

VKirby Said:

<snip>Thank you.

Posted March 19, 2012 link

Meant to say that one of the Bunns is SCAA certified, but I can't figure out which one it is, as the SCAA site is quite cryptic: it states:

Bunn HG Home Brewer*

• Home Use

But it gives no model number and no specifics other than what is mentioned above. When I try to match the above with model numbers on Amazon I do not get any meaningful results, so as a consumer I would not know which Bunn coffee maker to purchase.

http://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2

Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. -- Captain Janeway, Star Trek: Voyager

missy_
missy_
Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012, 3:37pm

BarryR Said:

The original one I had had a leaky carafe. They replaced that carafe (I called, they sent me a new one right away) and I've had no problem with a carafe since (> one year).

Good to know. Thanks, Barry! :^)

mike01

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Vario-W
Vac Pot: Yama Stovetop
Drip: Bunn Trifecta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012, 7:24pm

missy_ Said:

Meant to say that one of the Bunns is SCAA certified, but I can't figure out which one it is, as the SCAA site is quite cryptic: it states:

Bunn HG Home Brewer*

Home Use

But it gives no model number and no specifics other than what is mentioned above. When I try to match the above with model numbers on Amazon I do not get any meaningful results, so as a consumer I would not know which Bunn coffee maker to purchase.

http://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2

I wasn't aware that the bunn achieved certification. That's good to know. Try searching for bunn hg. That is the model name for the bunn phase brewer with glass carafe.
missy_
missy_
Posted Sat Apr 14, 2012, 8:28pm

mike01 Said:

I wasn't aware that the bunn achieved certification. That's good to know. Try searching for bunn hg. That is the model name for the bunn phase brewer with glass carafe.

Thanks, Mike. :)

Okay, this may be the right one, but I am not certain:

BUNN HG Phase Brew 8-Cup Home Coffee Brewer

If you search through the reviews (for that product only) for the word "temperature" you will notice a few people have measured the temperature of the water. Also try for the word "degrees."

There appear to be some reliability issues with this model, but it appears to be the SCAA-certified model if I'm not mistaken. Bunn customer service seems good by all accounts here, but whether the machine is built to last I guess varies by user experience.

showing page 38 of 43 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bunn Phase Brew™...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.396344900131)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+