Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Cuveda dripper?
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cuveda dripper?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JPDyson
JPDyson
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama tc5
Drip: V60, Bonmac, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery II
Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 11:10am
Subject: Re: Cuveda dripper?

Ordered one yesterday. We'll see!

--Josh
 View Profile Link to this post
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun May 20, 2012, 9:34am

Any updates?
JPDyson
JPDyson

Posted Fri Jun 1, 2012, 8:37am

So far, so good. It requires a finer grind than my Bonmac or Chemex (I usually use Chemex filters in a V60, actually). The cups come out clean, sweet, well-rounded - the oils are making it through, no noticeable sediment, but it has a taste very "pour-over" like.

I want to compare it to a cup brewed with the same (simple, conical) cloth filter in my V60 to try and determine if the mound in the middle is of any benefit. I do think it lets you keep the water volume lower and the saturation more even, so I would PREDICT a more evenly extracted cup.

More to do, but so far I'm pleased.

--Josh
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jun 3, 2012, 5:56am

Do you feel it was worth the investment? Also, is the filter just a cone shaped filter with the bottom pushed in?
JPDyson
JPDyson

Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 9:10am

The filter is just a standard cone-shaped filter, only for use in this dripper, you would need to invert the point.

I don't see any real benefit over using a cloth filter in some other dripper. I'll likely sell mine to somebody else who'd like to try it.

--Josh
PeaberryPicker
PeaberryPicker
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Astoria CKE, Faem E91
Grinder: Nova Simonelli MDX, Capresso...
Vac Pot: Silex
Drip: Bonmac, Beehouse, Melitta
Roaster: Counter Culture Coffee
Posted Wed Jun 13, 2012, 11:18am

The reason for the bump is to keep the coffee bed from coming to point.  The problem with cone shape is a very deep bed in the middle, coupled with a very shallow bed at the edges, create the possibility, or likelihood, of uneven extraction.  There are various techniques people use to overcome this, from stirring the bloom (to reveal dry grounds at the deepest part of the point), to controlling the pour stream to agitate in particular places for particular amounts of time.  

The Kalita has a flat bottom to solve this problem.  This device had the inverted bump to solve it.  The more even the coffee bed, the more even the extraction.

Flavor differences will be very subtle and it will be difficult to tell where differences are actually coming from.  The same brewing device, grinder, filter medium, and water, will also produce subtle difference because of time, temperature, agitation, pouring technique.  So unless you have developed an extremely rigid and consistent routine, you probably wont be able to isolate the reason for variations in flavor.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JPDyson
JPDyson

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 6:28am

Picker, I don't disagree. I tend to think of pour-over coffee as a more or less approximate brewing method. You really, really have to get liturgical about your routine before precise consistency is actually attainable.

So I don't bother.

I tend to operate within a framework of things which are easy enough to keep very consistent (i.e. grind size, water temp, equipment), and make a "best effort" to be consistent about other things (pour technique - which includes posture, kettle angle, speed of rotation, size of pour target, etc). I find that, over time, I've become quite consistent, and rarely have to focus very hard on these things. I can stumble out of bed and be sipping a cup of coffee 10 minutes later that I hardly remember making, but the taste parameters are well within "spec". Granted, I don't have a refractometer, but I can taste when my grinder is a notch finer or coarser, or when I pour too quickly or slowly (not exactly a double-blind test, because I usually detect these things before I ever take the first sip, but still). Equipment can help consistency, but as long as you're not using something poorly designed, your technique can compensate more than adequately.

Also, one thing I'll add is that coffee doesn't only exit the bed at the bottom, unless you're using a Chemex (and even then, I often see it escaping the side and running down between the filter and the glass). Most drippers (and indeed the Cuveda) have ridges that allow coffee to exit the side of the filter and run down to the openings. While this does not perfectly prevent uneven extraction, it does help. There's a reason Bunn uses the same design they have for decades, and why everyone from Fetco to Kalita has copied it.

--Josh
oktyone

Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 5:52pm

Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago..haven't really had the chance to play much with it, but i have to agree with JPDyson, so far so good...most of my brews have been using paper filters, i did try the included cloth filter but i thought the flavor was off, neither over nor underextracted, just off, i've seen people recommend not drinking the first brew when using cloth filters, i did, so maybe that's the case.

The little thing drips frustratingly fast though, maybe i've been too used to brewing with a V60, but i've tried different grind sizes, some even bordering on espresso and can't get it to brew for longer than 1:45 (plus 0:30 for bloom = 2:15) using about 15grams for a 250ml brew, taste-wise they've been perfect though, as good as my best v60s, so no complaints there, but i would like to achieve longer brew times just to compare, my pouring is pretty slow too so no idea if it's possible at all.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Jul 5, 2012, 6:23pm

oktyone Said:

Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago..haven't really had the chance to play much with it, but i have to agree with JPDyson, so far so good...most of my brews have been using paper filters, i did try the included cloth filter but i thought the flavor was off, neither over nor underextracted, just off, i've seen people recommend not drinking the first brew when using cloth filters, i did, so maybe that's the case.

The little thing drips frustratingly fast though, maybe i've been too used to brewing with a V60, but i've tried different grind sizes, some even bordering on espresso and can't get it to brew for longer than 1:45 (plus 0:30 for bloom = 2:15) using about 15grams for a 250ml brew, taste-wise they've been perfect though, as good as my best v60s, so no complaints there, but i would like to achieve longer brew times just to compare, my pouring is pretty slow too so no idea if it's possible at all.

Posted July 5, 2012 link

Well, I have to admit my Hario pours (18 grams of coffee, 10oz liquid yield) are around 2 minutes INCLUDING a  30 second bloom, and I'm quite happy with the results.
Any longer, and I've got less than hot coffee.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
oktyone

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2012, 8:05pm

As long as you like your results it's fine, i feel the same with this dripper, results are amazing so far, but it's frustrating not being able to experiment and taste brews with longer extraction times, just to compare.

The Hario V-60 is very versatile in this regard, i've been able to achieve brews almost as long as 4min (including bloom time), and some as short as 1:30 depending on pouring speed and grind size, with continuous pouring as i don't like pulse pouring.  I find that the most complex and unique flavors of great coffees seem to really develop well during the 2:30-4:00 minutes of the extraction, but this little dripper has proven me wrong, i just wish i could compare different extractions with this same dripper though, finer grinds don't seem to help much in slowing it, but since the extraction is short, a fine grind is necessary to properly extract it. I timed the youtube video, and it seems to correspond well with my results.

Anyone else has experiments worth sharing with this dripper?
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Cuveda dripper?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.307809114456)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+