Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
PROBLEM WITH NEW BONAVITA BV1800: ONLY CENTER SPRAYER HEADS WORK
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > PROBLEM WITH NEW...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
snooopcat

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu May 17, 2012, 6:39am
Subject: PROBLEM WITH NEW BONAVITA BV1800: ONLY CENTER SPRAYER HEADS WORK

I just received my new BV1800 from Amazon & have been using it for several days. After my 1st brew I noticed a large cavity in the center of the grounds so I watched the sprayer heads during the next brew cycle.  Not all the holes were expelling water into the ground, specifically, the outer ones were a little wet but expelled very little while most of the water came from the center holes which results in poor extraction.  I thought that maybe the unit was not level but tilting it has no affect on the sprayers. I'm very concerned because I heard so much praise on this forum for this unit. I suspect the unit is defective. I called Bonavita a few hours ago & have not heard from them yet.
Has any one heard of this problem with this unit? I could not  find any referenced to it on this forum.
 View Profile Link to this post
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu May 17, 2012, 1:30pm
Subject: Re: PROBLEM WITH NEW BONAVITA BV1800: ONLY CENTER SPRAYER HEADS WORK

I've seen this commented on as intentional to get better water distribution on the grounds - the manual uses the word "programmed" to describe how most of the water comes out of the center hole, with less coming from the others.  Watch carefully from the side during brewing, and you should see about half the water coming out of the middle hole, with the rest coming out of the side holes, and a small amount from the forward and backward holes.

Mine certainly does it, and makes good coffee with evenly wetted grounds if I place the handle of the cone out the side of the machine, so that it's at 90deg to the forward-back axis (tank to showerhead) direction.
snooopcat

Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 9:24am

Hi dyqik:
I hear your comment & upon reflection I think u might be correct.  The grounds are all wet so I guess it's saturating them as it should. My only issue (more an irritation) is that Bonavita hasn't at least contacted me, neither email nor telephone. Not even a confirming email that they received it.  Oh well, thanks for the reality check. I love the forum.

Ron (snoopcat)
ItsRossTime

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 6:50am

I found your post because I noticed a similar problem with my BV1800TH.  This wasn't the case when I first started brewing with the machine, so I'm curious what could be happening. I've tried cleaning the shower head, but I don't think that was the issue.

One thing of interest: when this was working properly (water coming out of all holes), the maker would intermittently push hot water up to the shower head. This impulse of hot water would come out of all holes (granted more out of center which is good - there's more grounds there). However, the last few brews when I've noticed the tunneling have had more of a constant flow of water. Seems like this may be correlated to it coming mostly out of the center hole.

Is it possible this is a scale buildup issue?

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 6:58am

There's very little to go wrong with these devices.  The heater itself will either work 100% or not at all, so I think you are probably on the right track with scale build-up restricting the flow and/or affecting the efficiency of the heat getting into the water column.

Only other thing is that presumably there is a thermostat that switches off the brew heater when all the water has been used up.  This just might be faulty and switching on and off, so the water isn't getting enough heat into it.  Bit of a long shot I think though.

Does it still brew in about the same time as when you first got it ?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > PROBLEM WITH NEW...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.206937074661)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+