Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Overwhelmed! Please help narrow down my options for a new coffee maker
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Overwhelmed!...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
TheHolyCannoli

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 4:03pm
Subject: Overwhelmed! Please help narrow down my options for a new coffee maker

Long story short, I'm tired of getting inconsistent and terrible tasting coffee from a cheap $30 Mr. Coffee auto drip I purchased a couple years ago. I'm looking for a new coffee maker that can consistently brew coffee the way it was meant to be brewed. I drink coffee maybe 4-5times a week, typically about 20oz at a time. I'm far from a coffee connoisseur, but I do enjoy trying new flavors/varieties and I can certainly tell when I'm drinking a bad cup of coffee.

For convenience and coffee/tea/cocoa variety, I was seriously considering going the K-cup route, but after literally a week of reading through reviews, it seems like the k-cup machines don't do well producing more than a 10oz cup, not to mention being extremely unreliable. I then moved on to considering pods, but dismissed that idea since I really don't want to obtain my coffee online or go through the trouble of making my own pods.

So, I'm back to the "drip" style machines, but completely overwhelmed. Among other machines, I've looked into the Technivorm but too costly. The Bunn PhaseBrew looked promising, but there are quite a few mixed reviews everywhere I look. The Melitta seems to have decent reviews overall, but I am skeptical as the cost is significantly less than many of the other makers I've been looking into. Then I came across the Capresso 464/465 with integrated and auto/programmable grinder. If I had to pick a coffee maker right now, I'd probably go with the Capresso, although I'm still not confident.

My budget is flexible, but realistically I can't justify going too much over $200 for a coffeemaker. Help me find the right coffee maker for my needs!
 View Profile Link to this post
rayto
rayto

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Yama 8 cup/Yama 5 cup table
Drip: Tecnivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Hottop
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 4:19pm
Subject: Re: Overwhelmed! Please help narrow down my options for a new coffee maker

If you can wait until the release I would wait for GORT, my 0.02 "What is Gort?" I think it will be a winner
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 5:37pm
Subject: Re: Overwhelmed! Please help narrow down my options for a new coffee maker

TheHolyCannoli Said:

Long story short, I'm tired of getting inconsistent and terrible tasting coffee from a cheap $30 Mr. Coffee auto drip I purchased a couple years ago. I'm looking for a new coffee maker ... Help me find the right coffee maker for my needs!

Posted May 28, 2012 link

Welcome - my Bonavita BV-1800 works great making 20 fl oz pots - check out this thread:

"Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look"

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
TheHolyCannoli

Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 5:51pm

EricBNC Said:

Welcome - my Bonavita BV-1800 works great making 20 fl oz pots - check out this thread:

"Bonavita Automatic Brewer - 1st Look"

Posted May 28, 2012 link

Interesting. I had briefly come across that machine but I think I overlooked it due to it's extreme simplicity in combination with a $150 tag. How do you think it compares to the Capresso machine (integrated grinder aside)?
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 5:58pm

Have both and can confirm the Bonavita brews faster and comes up to proper temps much quicker so the coffee tastes better.  

As for the Capresso 454, you really can't separate the grinder though since it drives the cost up considerably - it grinds nice but leaves a whole lot of grounds to grow stale in the chute/path waiting for the next grinding to push them down into the filter basket...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
TheHolyCannoli

Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 6:23pm

EricBNC Said:

Have both and can confirm the Bonavita brews faster and comes up to proper temps much quicker so the coffee tastes better.  

As for the Capresso 454, you really can't separate the grinder though since it drives the cost up considerably - it grinds nice but leaves a whole lot of grounds to grow stale in the chute/path waiting for the next grinding to push them down into the filter basket...

Posted May 28, 2012 link

Thanks for the info. I was thinking the added cost of the Capresso might be worth having a decent grinder, but then again, I haven't looked much into grinders. I'm assuming you compared the final cups after using freshly ground beans to brew each. If I decided to go with the Bonavita, I probably would end up using pre-ground beans...but if past experience holds true, probably not for long if I stick around these forums for any length of time.

Any comments on clean-up between the 2 machines? I'd assume the Bonavita is much easier.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 6:36pm

I just got a new Delonghi DCM900 drip brewer from Amazon for $59 (free shipping):

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

So far so good on the brewer.  There have been a few writeups on CG about it also.  I believe most have been favorable.  Certainly a great price for a decent brewer.

Len

CoffeeRoastersClub: dcm900.jpg
(Click for larger image)

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheHolyCannoli

Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 6:47pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I just got a new Delonghi DCM900 drip brewer from Amazon for $59 (free shipping):

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

So far so good on the brewer.  There have been a few writeups on CG about it also.  I believe most have been favorable.  Certainly a great price for a decent brewer.

Len

Posted May 28, 2012 link

Certainly a strange looking machine, but an appealing price point.

I noticed it has a 1500W heating element.....I'm starting to think that the makers with the most robust heating elements are the ones producing the best coffee. Other than high watts and even drip dispersion, I can't really seem to find any other common denominator between the positively reviewed units. Feel free to enlighten me if I'm not on the right track as I might be more productive in my search if I knew what i should be looking for...what a novel idea.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 7:03pm

TheHolyCannoli Said:

Certainly a strange looking machine, but an appealing price point.

I noticed it has a 1500W heating element.....I'm starting to think that the makers with the most robust heating elements are the ones producing the best coffee. Other than high watts and even drip dispersion, I can't really seem to find any other common denominator between the positively reviewed units. Feel free to enlighten me if I'm not on the right track as I might be more productive in my search if I knew what i should be looking for...what a novel idea.

Posted May 28, 2012 link

The DMC900 makes 10 cups of coffee in 6 minutes, something the company enjoyed highlighting.  The machine is quite a nice looking machine, very modern looking and artsy.  The coffee it makes is excellent.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Tue May 29, 2012, 2:25am

The Capresso grind path is hard to clean - the brewer part is not hard to clean.

I wanted the coffee maker in Len's Amazon link for a while when searching like you.  Read the reviews and the clear picture begins to lose focus - too many "great coffee while it lasted" reviews...

If you can find a Melitta/Gevalia BCM-4 coffee brewer in good shape - they pop up often in thrifts in my area for around five bucks - you will have a very capable 22 fl oz max coffee maker - much less than 1500 watts too so the thermostat setting comes into play as well with these devices. Good luck and do use the search feature since long threads covering this subject are as plentiful as the answers given. : )

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Overwhelmed!...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.389523983002)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+