Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita BV1800 vs. DeLonghi DCM900
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita BV1800...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
TheHolyCannoli

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 9:36am
Subject: Bonavita BV1800 vs. DeLonghi DCM900

Apologies in advance if there is another thread comparing these machines in particular, but I couldn't find it using the search function.

I decided I'll buy a separate grinder, probably the Infinity 560 or 565, so now I have to find the brewer. I am going back and forth between the Bonavita and DeLonghi and can't seem to find a reason to choose one over the other. Both apparently brew at correct temps and in the correct amount of time, so it seems that they should essentially produce very similar final coffee products. However, considering the price difference, I question if there are any other differences that I'm missing. As of now, I can get the thermal/glass Bonavita for $150/$130 or go with the DeLonghi for $43.

Not sure if this will make a huge difference, but typically I'd be brewing between 4-6cups, not the full 8-10.

Need some guidance!
 View Profile Link to this post
oldgearhead
oldgearhead
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso by Baratza
Drip: Chemex,Dilongi DCM900
Roaster: 1/2K Fluid-bed
Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 12:47pm
Subject: Re: Bonavita BV1800 vs. DeLonghi DCM900

I bought a DCM900 a little over one year ago, and it is still making great drip coffee. However, each of the two in-line fuses have failed, and I simply by-passed them and always use a GFI receptable.

I prefer the Mellita #4 Bamboo filter over the 'gold'....

If you think you can fix it, save the $100.00 and get the DH900. I doubt the Dh900 is still in production because the location of the mentioned in-line fuses insure their early failure...
TheHolyCannoli

Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 12:57pm

Thanks for the reply. I can fix just about anything, but I'm not sure if I want to for a basic appliance. I guess the added cost would be for durability at this point, and a thermal carafe for the $150
oldgearhead
oldgearhead

Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 5:14pm

The DH900 is certainly well-built and durable. However, the designer failed to realize the fuses are located in a pretty hot location that de-grades their rating. But the fuses are easy to deal with, if you have a soldering iron..
mine:
1) Brews at 207F
2) Very easy to clean.
3) Warming plate at 450F doesn't burn the brew.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 5:50pm

I have the DCM900.  I just got it, as I informed before. For the short time I have had it I can say it is a breeze to use, and you can't beat the artsy look of it.  I also like the fact that it doesn't cook the coffee on the burner; just keeps it warm.  The build seems very durable.

I brew 6 cups on the average.  I use the gold filter.  It brews extremely fast.

I have not taken mine apart to look at the fuses; I wonder if there is a way to insulate them with ceramic insulation to prevent degrading.

There are videos of it operating on youtube if you wish to see it in operation.  

At $59 the price can't be beat.  Buy 3 of them and keep a couple as spares, or resell on eBay for higher price.  You might just end up getting your original for free.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigJS

Grinder: Baratza M plus
Drip: filter cone, FP, Moka
Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 7:43pm

Oldgearhead, from an electrician, keep your home owners insurance paid up..
TheHolyCannoli

Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 8:13pm

CraigJS Said:

Oldgearhead, from an electrician, keep your home owners insurance paid up..

Posted May 30, 2012 link

5yrs ago I barely escaped a home fire by climbing down the side of my 3-level home that eventually burned to the ground. The cause was linked back to a faulty toaster. Something in my head clicked and I realized I would be insane to knowingly bring a risk like that into my home. So, I decided against the DeLonghi as I'm not interested in role-playing as Spider-man again anytime soon.

Got the thermal Bonavita and Infinity 565 grinder due to arrive next week. I'm hoping this combo works well for me so I can simply enjoy a good cup of coffee!
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 8:50pm

Oldgearhead, is the fuse placed before or after the brewer on/off switch?  Also, my understanding is that the fuses burn out due to the heat issue creating an open circuit, not a closed circuit.  Is that correct?

Also, HolyCannoli, was the issue you had with the toaster due to a sticking switch that kept the toaster on and due to such caused the fire?

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

oldgearhead
oldgearhead

Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 9:15pm

CraigJS - I'm a retired EE, and I did hi-pot test the unit after each fuse failure.

C.R.C. - The fuses were located after the on/off switch. One on each leg of the main heater element.
Each fuse opened several weeks apart, and they were attached very close to the heater element. If they relocated them on later models, they might be fine. A 20A GFI breaker is plenty of protection for this 1500 watt drip brewer.

I've included an image of my one-year-old, one-pound, 120V, heat-recycling, fluid-bed, coffee roaster. It uses one,  1450 watt heating element::

oldgearhead: DSC_8379.jpg
(Click for larger image)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 10:05pm

oldgearhead Said:

CraigJS - I'm a retired EE, and I did hi-pot test the unit after each fuse failure.

C.R.C. - The fuses were located after the on/off switch. One on each leg of the main heater element.
Each fuse opened several weeks apart, and they were attached very close to the heater element. If they relocated them on later models, they might be fine. A 20A GFI breaker is plenty of protection for this 1500 watt drip brewer.

I've included an image of my one-year-old, one-pound, 120V, heat-recycling, fluid-bed, coffee roaster. It uses one,  1450 watt heating element::

Posted May 30, 2012 link

Oldgearhead,

Thanks for that info.  Then from what I can see there is no way that the fuse issue you had could start a fire.  That is reassuring.  Just a typical blown fuse issue due to the fuse getting weaker due to proximity to the heating elements.

I've seen your fluid bed roaster on homeroasters.org site.  I enjoy the efficiency you have brought to the fluid bed electrical heating method.

Len

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita BV1800...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.314390182495)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+