Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita BV1800 vs. DeLonghi DCM900
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita BV1800...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 11:12pm
Subject: Re: Bonavita BV1800 vs. DeLonghi DCM900

TheHolyCannoli Said:

5yrs ago I barely escaped a home fire by climbing down the side of my 3-level home that eventually burned to the ground. The cause was linked back to a faulty toaster. Something in my head clicked and I realized I would be insane to knowingly bring a risk like that into my home. So, I decided against the DeLonghi as I'm not interested in role-playing as Spider-man again anytime soon.

Got the thermal Bonavita and Infinity 565 grinder due to arrive next week. I'm hoping this combo works well for me so I can simply enjoy a good cup of coffee!

Posted May 30, 2012 link

Good choice. Even if the brewer dies without taking your possessions or life, it still has an alarming tendency to fail.  $43 is not a bargain if the unit will not hold up.  

CRC, yours might last forever, but looking at the 15 most recent reviews on Amazon, the odds are against it.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
chasemonster
chasemonster
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Audrey
Grinder: Hario Mini Mill
Drip: V60
Posted Thu May 31, 2012, 6:45am

oldgearhead Said:

I bought a DCM900 a little over one year ago, and it is still making great drip coffee. However, each of the two in-line fuses have failed, and I simply by-passed them and always use a GFI receptable.

Posted May 30, 2012 link

Amazon shows a list price of $350.00 for the DCM900, marked down to $59.99.
Now, that's what I call a "Fire" Sale!
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu May 31, 2012, 7:39am

EricBNC Said:

Good choice. Even if the brewer dies without taking your possessions or life, it still has an alarming tendency to fail.  $43 is not a bargain if the unit will not hold up.  

CRC, yours might last forever, but looking at the 15 most recent reviews on Amazon, the odds are against it.

Posted May 30, 2012 link

It actually doesn't worry me in the least.  If there is an issue I am sure I can fix it.  If we can put a man on the moon, and bring him back safely to earth, then Len the mechanic can fix his coffee maker with 15 cents of electricity (for the soldering gun), a $2 fuse, and about an inch of electrical solder.

I did read the Amazon reviews.  And I also read many reviews by CGers who own the DCM900.  Overall their (CGers) experience with the brewer was fine.  Regarding this subject I put much more faith in the knowledge that CGers bring to the table.  

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Thu May 31, 2012, 8:29am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I did read the Amazon reviews.  And I also read many reviews by CGers who own the DCM900.  Overall their (CGers) experience with the brewer was fine.  Regarding this subject I put much more faith in the knowledge that CGers bring to the table.  

Len

Posted May 31, 2012 link

These CG'ers?

sea221 Said:

Just a heads up, I have had mine about a week and it crashed and burned.This made very good coffee while it lasted,bought it from Sams club about 2 weeks ago run about 25 pots threw it, turned it on this morning came back and coffee was all over the counter and a electrical smell was bad...

Posted May 19, 2010 link

kmusgrave Said:

Well, after a year and a half of service, mine has given up the ghost.  Fortunately, I had purchased Sams' $5 extended warranty, so they are sending me all my money back.  Now begins the great adventure of finding another coffee maker.

Posted August 25, 2011 link

oldgearhead Said:

...and now back to the subject of this thread, the DCM900. Ater 7 months mine still makes great drip coffee. I should report that both internal fuses have failed, at different times...

Posted September 2, 2011 link

Not too convincing a case for reliability when added to the most recent 13 out of 15 one star "it died" failures reported over on the "less reputable" Amazon site.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Thu May 31, 2012, 9:22am

EricBNC Said:

These CG'ers?

Posted May 31, 2012 link

Just a simple fix as Oldgearhead explained.  Nothing that a man with the proper tools and knowledge cannot do in about 5 minutes time.

I can think of far worse things CGers have done to breadmakers, whirly pops, espresso machine PID hacks, etc., than working on a simple fuse issue.

Like I mentioned before, I have the ability to fix the machine IF it ever has an issue.  So again, for me there is no issue with the DCM900 even worth talking about any further.

However, for full disclosure the Bonivata apparently has some issues of its own:

Bonavita BV1800 8-Cup Coffee Maker with Glass Carafe (Kitchen)
Feels cheap right out of the box. I did not notice any difference in taste or temperature from my previous brewer (think squeezy-heart). I set up both brewers utilizing identical water temp and quantity and got 182 degrees and 177 degrees in the pot from the Bonavita and the previous brewer respectively. Also, after brewing, a full of water was left somewhere in the Bonavita that could only be drained by flipping the unit over. Since espressoparts does not take returns on electrical parts I am stuck with this.

another:

Purchased in January of 2012 and on 3/24/12 the power switch wouldn't stay on.I still can use,but have to push the coffee maker's button against the toaster to hold it in "on" position until done brewing.

and another:

Buying this machine was a total waste of money for me. I tried to return it immediately, but the company I bought it from "doesn't accept the Bonavita" for returns. That should have been noted on the website.
As another reviewer noted, not all of the nozzle holes emit water during brewing. The grounds saturation would be better if it did so.
There is a large enough gap between the brew head and basket that all of the coffee is exposed to air before it reaches the carafe. I wonder if this is part of the reason why, no matter how fresh, good of a brand of beans, or type of grind I use, the coffee is always bitter.
I use this machine once every 2-3 weeks. It has seen less than 30 days of use, and already some water is not released from the brew head at the time of brewing, as if it is getting clogged.

and yet another:

So I've been using the Bonavita for about 2 weeks now. I have to say the first few pots had me scared. What is this crap I thought?? My Mr Coffee made better coffee than this!! Now whether it was just a break in period with the Bonavita or a learning curve with my new grinder I'm not sure but eventually, I got it right. Now I'm getting a consistently good cup of coffee. Is it worth it? I have to say, IMO, no. At least so far no. Its good but not $100 better than my Mr Coffee.

I do have to complain about the water tank measure lines. Very hard to read and sometimes I even have to stick my hand in the tank to see where the water level is. Which means the opening to the water tank not only big enough for me to stick my hand it but also super easy to fill with water (if you knew when to stop pouring that is).

and another:

I did quite a bit of research and found the Bonavita to have had a lot of positive reviews. What really sold me was, as "stated", the coffee temperature would be brewed to about 200 degrees. I also liked the idea of the thermal carafe, as well.

I have had the machine for about 3 1/2 weeks and it's going back. Experimented with different coffee brands, measurements, and water temps. Taste is just ok, nothing great. Coffee is lukewarm after about 1/2 hr of sitting.

Totally not what I was expecting!! :-(

-------

The above posts are all from Amazon, so take it for what its worth.

=========

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Thu May 31, 2012, 10:03am

Someone could also buy a machine that doesn't have a history of failure and does have support available.  

Len, you already own it so I understand your defensiveness. I hope yours lasts forever, but knowing it can be "hot wired" does not make it reliable.

I see you added to your post by cherry picking a few negative comments on the Bonavita - typical defensive behavior - is your Delonghi already dead Len?

Amazon shows 35 out of 43 buyers give The Bonavita BV-1800 4 or 5 stars - so very high marks.  The lone 2 star post you do not quote is a frustrated man asking when they will be back in stock so he can purchase one!

Add this to the lengthy positive history of the Melitta Aroma (the origin of the Bonavita BV1800's design) in Europe and it's wide acceptance by specialty coffee roasters and cafes and you have some assurances even if the Bonavita name is a new one.

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Thu May 31, 2012, 11:11am

EricBNC Said:

Someone could also buy a machine that doesn't have a history of failure and does have support available.  

Len, you already own it so I understand your defensiveness. I hope yours lasts forever, but knowing it can be "hot wired" does not make it reliable.

I see you added to your post by cherry picking a few negative comments on the Bonavita - typical defensive behavior - is your Delonghi already dead Len?

Amazon shows 35 out of 43 buyers give The Bonavita BV-1800 4 or 5 stars - so very high marks.  The lone 2 star post you do not quote is a frustrated man asking when they will be back in stock so he can purchase one!

Add this to the lengthy positive history of the Melitta Aroma (the origin of the Bonavita BV1800's design) in Europe and it's wide acceptance by specialty coffee roasters and cafes and you have some assurances even if the Bonavita name is a new one.

Posted May 31, 2012 link

Eric, you beat me to the punch.  I was going to accuse you of cherry picking also.

I think I already made the case why I purchased the DCM900, again no need for me to go on any further.

Len

EricBNC
EricBNC

Posted Thu May 31, 2012, 1:49pm

No cherry picking for me - select sort to the most recent first and then count back a page or two till you hit 15 - I figured this was a decent sample size since the review period covers almost a year and represents the quality one can expect in a current order.  That is where the 13 out of 15 one star DCM900 reviews come from.  

On the other hand, the Bonavita has zero one star reviews:

EricBNC: am compare.jpg
(Click for larger image)

showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita BV1800...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.405625104904)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+