Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Registering for a new coffee maker/grinder in a brick and mortar...
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Registering for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
andante92

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jun 7, 2012, 10:02am
Subject: Registering for a new coffee maker/grinder in a brick and mortar...

Hi all. I've been a lurker for some time and love the site and forums - I've learned so so much about coffee. I'm registering for my wedding and I'd like to upgrade my coffee maker and grinder. My coffee maker is a cheap Krups and I've been using a Baratza Maestro grinder. My grinder just died this morning, but it may be repairable. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a new coffee maker or grinder? The only limitation I have is that it must be available at either:

Macy's
Bed Bath and Beyond or
Williams Sonoma

Also, they should preferably in the under $300 rage and I refuse to use combination grinder-coffeemaker items (obnoxious to clean and too risky when one breaks) I know that really limits my options but it's what I have to work with. Considering my options, am I better off just repairing my grinder instead of getting a new one?

Thanks so much!!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 5:33am
Subject: Re: Registering for a new coffee maker/grinder in a brick and mortar...

Well, what grinders and brewers do they sell in those stores?
For the most part, these stores sell consumer goods and we are in a specialty market. Look up what they sell and report back with the information and we can guide you better.

Congrats on the wedding!!!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 1:41pm
Subject: Re: Registering for a new coffee maker/grinder in a brick and mortar...

At W&S, they do sell the Breville Smart Grinder. I have used one and really enjoyed it. It gets high marks from many users who use it for drip/coarse grinding. They also sell various manual coffee methods and electric auto drip machines such as the Technivorm.

Congratulations!
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 2:17pm

Sam21 Said:

At W&S, they do sell the Breville Smart Grinder. I have used one and really enjoyed it. It gets high marks from many users who use it for drip/coarse grinding. They also sell various manual coffee methods and electric auto drip machines such as the Technivorm.

Congratulations!

Posted June 8, 2012 link

Too bad you can't put Behmor on your'A" list. The new Brazen brewer appears to be everything you'd want in a brewer, and less $$ than the Technivorm. $199.95, I believe.

That said, if a BunnSTX is at Macy's that would be a good choice..about $139.

Grinder wise, a Baratza Preciso would be the ticket for all around, or the new Encore for drip/Press.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 5:06pm

andante92 Said:

... Does anyone have any good recommendations for a new coffee maker or grinder? The only limitation I have is that it must be available at either:

Macy's
Bed Bath and Beyond or
Williams Sonoma

Also, they should preferably in the under $300 rage ...

Posted June 7, 2012 link

Bed Bath and Beyond:

Capresso Infinity Burr Grinder.

Bunn HG Phase Brew, Bunn Velocity NHB, or Capresso MT-600 coffee makers.

I have the Capresso grinder, the older Capresso MT-500, and the Bunn Velocity - these are decent products.  Any combination listed will come in under budget and make a decent cup of coffee.  The grinder is available in a metal case for a little more but still is under your budget of $300. Bunn uses the basket filters, Capresso uses a cone filter.

The Bonavita BV-1800 and Baratza Encore would be my first choice in the under $300 range but these are not available where you are registered.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Registering for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket Espresso Machines
Free extended warranty & free shipping. Contact us for best prices.
espressooutlet.net
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.253895998001)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+