Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Silex Lox-In won't fit 5-Cup Yama
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Silex Lox-In...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
EvanOz85
EvanOz85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario and Preciso
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Yama 5-cup
Drip: Chemex, Kone 3, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Hottop B, Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 7:43pm
Subject: Silex Lox-In won't fit 5-Cup Yama

Just wanted to let any potential Lox-In buyers that the filter will not work with a stovetop 5-Cup Yama. The squareness of the rod prevents the filter from sitting flush with the Yama's more concave opening. I'm slightly disappointed as I was really excited to use this rod with my Yama..but at least I'll be able to use it with the Bodum Santos which is fits perfectly. Just that I usually don't make the large batches the Bodum requires..ugh!

Onto finding a Cory rod..
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 10:25pm
Subject: Re: Silex Lox-In won't fit 5-Cup Yama

EvanOz85 Said:

Just wanted to let any potential Lox-In buyers that the filter will not work with a stovetop 5-Cup Yama. The squareness of the rod prevents the filter from sitting flush with the Yama's more concave opening. I'm slightly disappointed as I was really excited to use this rod with my Yama..but at least I'll be able to use it with the Bodum Santos which is fits perfectly. Just that I usually don't make the large batches the Bodum requires..ugh!

Onto finding a Cory rod..

Posted June 14, 2012 link

Evan, that's odd, as FWIW it works perfectly in my 8 cup Yama stovetop.
I'll check the opening...which should be the same as yours, and get back.
I also have a Cory glass rod (no chain.)
Funny thing, other than cleanup, I like the coffee better using the OERM Yama filter. As you know , it is WHOLE lot more to maintain, and keep clean.

Slightly OT...I use the cloth filter that fits the Hario #2.
I taste no real difference from the paper filters.

Back tomorrow, or you can PM me.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 10:37pm

My Cory filter (13) has a rounder bottom..no squared off edges, so there is a slightly better fit.
That said, I've done dozens of brews with the Lox-in, and noticed no egregious amount of sludge in the coffee.
Less for sure using the OEM filter.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 11:29am

There are easily visible gaps between the opening and the rod when sitting in the 5 Cup Yama. I was sure it wouldn't work when I first attached the rod, but I tried it anyway with some stale beans. Sure enough it leaked water and grounds into the bottom during brewing. The drawdown pulled a ton of sediment with it.

Is there only one design of the Lox-In filter? Or maybe there are different designs of the 5-Cup Yama? My parents have the 8 cup Yama so I guess I'll go to their house to try it.

It works absolutely perfectly in the Santos though. Less sediment than the plastic Santos filter and it's so much more elegant to look at.

My options are to buy a Cory filter for the Yama, or find a vintage vac pot with a similar capacity as the Yama but less concave opening.
BoldJava
BoldJava
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 12:00pm

EvanOz85 Said:

Just wanted to let any potential Lox-In buyers that the filter will not work with a stovetop 5-Cup Yama. ...Onto finding a Cory rod..

Posted June 14, 2012 link

My hexagon sided Lox-in fits my 5-cup stovetop just fine.

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 1:22pm

BoldJava Said:

My hexagon sided Lox-in fits my 5-cup stovetop just fine.

Posted June 15, 2012 link

Then you either have a different shaped Lox-in rod, or different 5-cup Yama. I'm just gonna take a wild guess and assume that Yama has changed the design slightly over the years. Mine is fairly new. I think I got it in January.

I can assure you this has nothing to do with user error. With my siphon and rod, it is a physical impossibility that it has any chance of working. After researching the filter a bit, I've found that other people have the exact same problem with it.

But as I said before, it works perfectly with the Santos.
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 8:09pm

BoldJava, would you be willing to post a picture of your Lox-in and/or the inside of your Yama top globe? Thanks
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 8:28pm

My 8 cupper is about 3 years old, but to my knowledge there have been no design changes. At least I haven't heard of any.
No, they (the bottom of the Lox-in and the Yama neck) don't fit perfectly, but using the Lox-in, everything works EXACTLY as well as when I use the Lox-in with my Nicro, and  vintage Silex.
You can see tiny slices of space, but I see very minimal discoloration of the 40 or so ml of water that remain "south" whilst the brewing cycle is going on up north.
The Cory glass filter (13) Im mentioned has a curve that matches the Yama perfectly.

As the Lox-in dates back quite a ways, there is a very good chance IT may have gone through design changes.
Still, from your description, it sounds like we have exactly the same vintage.

Does yours have a # on it? (not the patent #)

I'll check mine.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
BoldJava
BoldJava
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 11:35pm

EvanOz85 Said:

Then you either have a different shaped Lox-in rod, or different 5-cup Yama. I'm just gonna take a wild guess and assume that Yama has changed the design slightly over the years. Mine is fairly new. I think I got it in January.

I can assure you this has nothing to do with user error...

Make sure you have your spring worked all the way onto the thread.  They will work themselves down.  Re-thread it a bit and then screw it tight.  You may have insufficient tension.  If you really feel you need a Cory, drop me an email.

...Just wanted to let any potential Lox-In buyers that the filter will not work with a stovetop 5-Cup Yama. The squareness of the rod prevents the filter from sitting flush...

In my years of collecting them, I have never seen a square one.  I assume you mean hex-sided.  If you have a square one, I would love to purchase it.

The pic is not mine but identical to mine.  Obviously the spring is worked off in this picture.  I have 3 new, old stock in boxes and all are identical.

BoldJava: Silex.JPG
(Click for larger image)

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
EvanOz85
EvanOz85

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 7:25am

IMAWriter Said:

Does yours have a # on it? (not the patent #)

I'll check mine.

There is a number 25 near the top of the rod.

BoldJava Said:

Make sure you have your spring worked all the way onto the thread.  They will work themselves down.  Re-thread it a bit and then screw it tight.  You may have insufficient tension.  If you really feel you need a Cory, drop me an email.

Yup..I had threaded the spring all the way up and there was good tension with the Yama. The gap between the filter and hole is not insignificant...it's about the width of a thick toothpick. And no matter how much I twist and move the filter it won't go away.

BoldJava Said:

In my years of collecting them, I have never seen a square one.  I assume you mean hex-sided.  If you have a square one, I would love to purchase it.

Sorry, I meant hexagonal.

BoldJava Said:

The pic is not mine but identical to mine.  Obviously the spring is worked off in this picture.  I have 3 new, old stock in boxes and all are identical.

Looks just like mine, really. It's all very strange. Mine was NOS and is in perfect condition too.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Silex Lox-In...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.390050888062)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+