Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
drip vs press vs aerobie
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > drip vs press vs...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
theCoffeeScientist
theCoffeeScientist
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Livia 90, Livietta, Caffe...
Grinder: OE Lido#144, Preciso, SJ,...
Vac Pot: Yama 5c
Drip: Hario V60, BeeHouse, Chemex,...
Roaster: Quest M3 fully profiled
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 12:19am
Subject: Re: drip vs press vs aerobie

hey jn,

I'd recommend the Virtuoso Preciso. It is a great grinder for all levels of coffee brewing and has 11 micro adjustments between the 40 macro adjustments that the regular Virtuoso doesn't have, which gives you a fine tuning that is needed to really dial in espresso shots. That being said, I don't do espresso so I'd read up on it for espresso use specifically (I've read good things about its espresso performance but again, have no personal experience using it for espresso).

I'd highly recommend not wasting your money on the built in scale Baratza has available and buy a balance that you can brew on as well, something around 2000g capacity (so you can tare out your brewing system and grounds while still having headroom for water weight) and .1g resolution (for grounds accuracy). US Balance has a model called the US-Benchtop-Pro (with an accurate calibration weight included) that is exactly that and should be less than $50. Then you have a balance you can use to weigh your brew water with too (and anything else you want) and get a much more repeatable brew. Start at 1 gram of ground coffee to 17 grams of water, dial your grind for optimal extraction/taste (try starting at grind setting 23F with 30g on the Virtuoso P for  if you end up with a Baratza) and then raise or lower the grounds weight to adjust the strength to your personal preference.

I personally highly dislike using any system that uses plastic/silicone touching the brewed/brewing coffee so I won't touch the Abid CCD or use the Aerobie anymore. I get the most amazing results from the Hario V60 using their white filters, Chemex white filters and the Able Kone with it (which fits and brews better in the 03 than in a Chemex IMO) and a french press for cup variety.

Cheers,
dan

-the science of coffee-
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > drip vs press vs...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.195833921432)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+