Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Wearever Stove-top Coffee Pot, how to use?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Wearever...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
mktsc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2012, 7:47pm
Subject: Wearever Stove-top Coffee Pot, how to use?

Hello,

I recently acquired an old Wearever aluminum stove-top coffee pot.  The lid comes off and there's a few pieces.  One looks like a basket with a baffle on it, and the other looks like a cylindrical filter that fits inside.  The markings on the bottom are as follows: Wear Ever T.A.C. U. Co Aluminum, Pat'd June 10, 1902.  I've attached a picture of what it looks like.  

I've scoured the internet and can't seem to find any information as to how to actually use it.  I figured this site was the best shot I've got at learning how.  

Hope someone can help, thanks in advance,

-Matt

mktsc: VeryVintCoffeePot2.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Wed Jan 25, 2012, 12:28pm
Subject: Re: Wearever Stove-top Coffee Pot, how to use?

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum.

I think what you have looks like a very early "Dripolator".

I suggest that you shoot some pictures showing the inside of the pieces.  With that we might be able to figure out how to set it up and actually brew coffee in it.

Phil

mktsc Said:

Hello,

I recently acquired an old Wearever aluminum stove-top coffee pot.  The lid comes off and there's a few pieces.  One looks like a basket with a baffle on it, and the other looks like a cylindrical filter that fits inside.  The markings on the bottom are as follows: Wear Ever T.A.C. U. Co Aluminum, Pat'd June 10, 1902.  I've attached a picture of what it looks like.  

I've scoured the internet and can't seem to find any information as to how to actually use it.  I figured this site was the best shot I've got at learning how.  

-Matt

Posted January 23, 2012 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mellojeff
mellojeff

Drip: Wearever 966
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 12:04pm

Hello, my name is Jeff and I have browsed this site previously because of the many interesting topics about coffee. I really love well-brewed, good-tasting coffee. I have some dripolator pots from my grandparents, and some press pots that I use to make coffee. I am becoming interested in other types of coffee pots, and exploring grinding my own coffee.

Recognizing that this is an old thread (Jan 2012), I would like to bump it to see if anyone has any input on using this type of Wearever drip pot. I just bought one from eBay for cheap, and it appears that the coffee goes in the mesh tube. There is an additional mesh cylinder in which the mesh tube fits inside. I am sure heated water is poured into the coffee.

Any other thoughts on this Wearever product? Method for brewing, years in was manufactured, etc?

Thanks,
Jeff

mellojeff: DSCN288101.jpg
(Click for larger image)
mellojeff
mellojeff

Drip: Wearever 966
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 12:05pm

PJK Said:

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum.

I think what you have looks like a very early "Dripolator".

I suggest that you shoot some pictures showing the inside of the pieces.  With that we might be able to figure out how to set it up and actually brew coffee in it.

Phil

Posted January 25, 2012 link

Phil,

Here is a picture of how it fits together.

mellojeff: DSCN288301.jpg
(Click for larger image)
PJK
PJK

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 2:53pm

Hi mellojeff,

It is still a little puzzling.  I'm guessing that is an evolution (is mutation a better word) step from the dripolator to the perculator.  

I think  water goes into the small diameter cylinder and ground coffee goes into the filter basket which surrounds it.  When the water boils over it passes through the grounds and into the outer vessel.  Since the outer vessel is on the stove I'm guessing it will produce the burned taste of a perc.

Hopefully someone else will have more guesses.

Phil

mellojeff Said:

Phil,

Here is a picture of how it fits together.

Posted June 15, 2012 link

Philip J. Keleshian
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 9:26pm

mktsc Said:

Hello,

-Matt

Posted January 23, 2012 link

Here is a link to some instructions:
Click Here (fantes.com)

There is alot of info out there on the net about these old coffee makers.  Tons of them for sale on eBay.  Maybe you can gleen some info from the above pdf file and also some of the makers on eBay.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
PJK
PJK

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 11:40pm

Hi Len,

Those instructions are for an actual dripolator.  I have some nits to pick with them.  They said put it on a stove top. That will heat the brewed coffee.  That is OK if the burner only supplies heat at the rate it is being lost by the pot.  That sort of control is hard to imagine in a cook top contemporary with those dripolators.  Actually you can still buy them but I mean their heyday.  They said use 6 tablespoons of ground coffee and 1 to 10 cups of water.  With that amount of coffee I'd like to see the water be close to 3 cups.

When I was a little kid my parents had a dripolator.  If they were still alive I ask why they ever switched to a percolator.  

I have a little dripolator. It is a little bent up and I have no idea where it came from. I could have belonged to my parents.  I need to do a little body work on it and give it a try.

Phil

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Here is a link to some instructions:
Click Here (fantes.com)

There is alot of info out there on the net about these old coffee makers.  Tons of them for sale on eBay.  Maybe you can gleen some info from the above pdf file and also some of the makers on eBay.

Len

Posted June 16, 2012 link

Philip J. Keleshian
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 8:07am

PJK Said:

Hi Len,

Those instructions are for an actual dripolator.  I have some nits to pick with them.  They said put it on a stove top. That will heat the brewed coffee.  That is OK if the burner only supplies heat at the rate it is being lost by the pot.  That sort of control is hard to imagine in a cook top contemporary with those dripolators.  Actually you can still buy them but I mean their heyday.  They said use 6 tablespoons of ground coffee and 1 to 10 cups of water.  With that amount of coffee I'd like to see the water be close to 3 cups.

When I was a little kid my parents had a dripolator.  If they were still alive I ask why they ever switched to a percolator.  

I have a little dripolator. It is a little bent up and I have no idea where it came from. I could have belonged to my parents.  I need to do a little body work on it and give it a try.

Phil

Posted June 16, 2012 link

Hello Phil.  When I was looking at various instructions on the internet I saw a few different designs for the dripolator.  There apparently was a corning dripolator, and also a silex.  And they were referencing a type of design of a coffee maker I picked up a couple years ago at a tag sale as a dripolator.  I have a picture of it attached.  I tried making coffee with it and the result was not good.  Maybe I did something wrong.

Len

CoffeeRoastersClub: coffee-breaka-005.jpg
(Click for larger image)

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

frankthecrank

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 9:09am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Hello Phil.  When I was looking at various instructions on the internet I saw a few different designs for the dripolator.  There apparently was a corning dripolator, and also a silex.  And they were referencing a type of design of a coffee maker I picked up a couple years ago at a tag sale as a dripolator.  I have a picture of it attached.  I tried making coffee with it and the result was not good.  Maybe I did something wrong.

Len

Posted June 17, 2012 link

Len, I think what you have there is a Neapolitan coffee maker: caffettiere  napolitana. I makes great coffee. I have a similar one.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 9:35am

frankthecrank Said:

Len, I think what you have there is a Neapolitan coffee maker: caffettiere  napolitana. I makes great coffee. I have a similar one.

Posted June 17, 2012 link

How do you make the coffee for it?  Can you describe the process, I apparently am not doing it right.

Thanks,
Len

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Wearever...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.610013961792)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+