Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Options for Brewing a single Mug that are forgiving of pour technique?
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Options for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
al_bongo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012, 7:11pm
Subject: Re: Options for Brewing a single Mug that are forgiving of pour technique?

Not got much to offer other than the 3 cup Chemex is far inferior to the 6 cup that is my go to method. I never use mine.

It's no use to you but the Aeropress is my single mug solution. In your case I'd suggest the Hario TCA 2 or 3 syphon with the cloth filter.  Finicky to use but way more consistent than single cup pot over solutions.
 View Profile Link to this post
theCoffeeScientist
theCoffeeScientist
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Livia 90, Livietta, Caffe...
Grinder: OE Lido#144, Preciso, SJ,...
Vac Pot: Yama 5c
Drip: Hario V60, BeeHouse, Chemex,...
Roaster: Quest M3 fully profiled
Posted Mon Jun 18, 2012, 11:04pm
Subject: Re: Options for Brewing a single Mug that are forgiving of pour technique?

Netphilosopher has an interesting idea there but I question one specific piece where he states-

280/14 = 20g of coffee, so you'll need 320g of hot brew water.  You'll get about 280g of coffee but with this method your strength will taste best if you get around 1.23% or so.

with a 1.23% TDS you would have an extraction of 17.22%, outside of the ideal window of extraction which is 18-22%. I'm not saying that's bad, if you like the taste it is good but there are a lot more quality flavors and sugars left in the bean at that extraction. This is probably a moot point for you, jaybar, as I suspect you do not have a refractometer. But if you get that ratio between 19-20% extraction (which is a more ideal window for sweetness and flavors) the strength/TDS will be between 1.36-1.43%, respectively. That strength is on the outside of what Americans tend to be used to, but still falls within Euro/Norwegian standards (these "standards" were established in the '50s mind you, but still what most American companies brew their coffee within. The American standard is 1.15-1.35% strength/TDS, respectively).

If you grind a BIT more coarse than typical for a pourover and stir throughout to keep the grounds moving and agitated you don't have to be anywhere near a master pourer. The Hario V60 may work for you if you try that method. Although you still have to pour somewhat slowly, if you do that, pour dead center, scrape the side walls after each pour to keep all the coffee in the water and moving, pouring slightly higher each time (say 3 pours at about 100g per) and adjust the grind so you get a pretty flat spent bed you should get a great extraction.

Try Netphilosopher's recipe when you decide on a dripper (adjusting the grind for your tastes) and then try this too-

for 11oz cup - use 21.7g ground coffee and 361.4g water - shoot for about a 2:30-3min total brew time and a flat spent bed (all grind related)

if you get a 2:1 water loss ratio (1g coffee absorbing 2g water) you'll have 11oz. If you get a 19.5% extraction (a flat spent bed will indicate that you're right around it) you'll have a strength of 1.33%TDS

for a 1.25%TDS cup at 19.5%ext. use 20.4g ground coffee to 358.8g water to the same parameters listed above for the 1.33% cup.

Then get back to us on what your tastebuds tell you to what to do as well as what dripper you got!!!

Cheers,
dan

Cheers,
dan

-the science of coffee-
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2012, 4:57am

GlennV

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 4:55am

Netphilosopher

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 5:54am

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 8:03am

GlennV Said:

This formula doesn't make sense to me. It's reminiscent of the way ExtractMoJo/MoJoToGo do it, but seems to mix up units. The stuff on the left hand side is water+coffee solids, but the stuff on the right hand side would appear to be just water. So, it doesn't seem to be a statement about mass conservation. Now, it doesn't really matter if you're just trying to fill up a certain size cup, of course, but it does when you start talking about tds and extraction yield.

Posted June 21, 2012 link

He's leaving out the solids in the cup because at normal coffee strength it's a decent approximation.

coffee produced =  brew water - absorbed water + extracted solids
                       ~ brew water - absorbed water

For a water/coffee ratio of 16, absorption factor of 2, and yield of 20% the error is -1.4%. Of course the error grows as the coffee/water brew ratio increases. It wouldn't be an acceptable approximation at espresso strengths.
Netphilosopher

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 10:57am

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 4:55pm

Netphilosopher Said:

I'm definitely not leaving solids in the cup out, just defining it with the simplified model without specifying strength.  I don't recall specifying extraction or TDS, just predicting the coffee produced based on three other variables.  If you see extraction or TDS in the equation, I did something wrong.

The extraction has to be in there somewhere for it to be exact.

Netphilosopher Said:

...I can pull an algebra trick and define A = G/C - 1

I understand now. You've defined "absorption" to include the solids extracted from the grounds. The extraction yield IS there, it's just not explicit:

Let's call g = solids in the grounds and Wg = water "absorbed" or "retained" by the grounds. Then,

A = G/C - 1 = (Wg + g)/C - 1 = Wg/C - (C-g)/C

But those two terms are the "water loss ratio" (Wg/C) and the "extraction yield" ((C-g)/C).

The water loss ratio (water in grounds / dry coffee) is what I was thinking of as absorption. I believe it's what VST/mojo uses and I think it's what theCoffeeScientist meant.

So you're right, your formula is exact. It's just a different definition of "absorption", one that is a weak function of extraction.
jaybar

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 5:28pm

As the thread starter, how does all this relate to my original question?

Jay
Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 6:30am

showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Options for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.343896150589)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+